I got it bad...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

I got it bad...

Post by awp101 »

And it sure is good! :lol:

I did some horse trading with my shooting buddy and got this a couple of weeks ago:
Pedersoli "Quigley" Model, .45-120

It's a small artillery piece but fun as can be! The thing should be crew served IMO... :shock:

I know it's not an exact replica of the one in the movie but I do have a question. What Sharps action is it based upon?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Oh darn it I just ruined my keyboard you should have made a drool warning. :wink: How do you like the .45-120 I have heard that it takes more work to get to shoot well compared to the 45-70?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Sorry about the lack of drool warning, maybe Hobie can fix it... :shock:

I'll give conflicting answers on the 120s. I like them and I don't know.

It came with 20 .45-120 rounds he had loaded but it was his first attempt at casting. At 50 yds they were kind of all over an 8"x12" target. Recoil wasn't as bad as I expected, about like a STOUT 12ga load. I expect it will do MUCH better once I get to casting and reloading for it.

I also got 20rds loaded to .45-90 and those were the bees knees!:D VERY comfortable to shoot. Both times I had it out I got three shots into a 4" Shoot-N-C target at 50yds using a crosshair front sight which is not my personal preference. Next time I'll try a different insert, probably the ring insert.

There's also another 20 pieces of primed Bell .45 Basic, 40 loaded rounds of unknown provenance that I'll pull down and reuse the brass as well as the Soule sights and reloading dies.

As far as loading, I know it's a BPCR but can Pyrodex be used or strictly BP? I know he was using GOEX Cartridge BP for the ammo HE loaded.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I believe your Sharps is based on the 1874 model. Nice gun!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

SHARPS

Post by blueroan »

Go over to shilohrifle.com/forums and do some reading. There's a lot of info there for you.Some people are down on anything bigger than a 45/70. but the long range guys and others will help you a lot with their postings...there's plenty of 45/120 fans out there.

Get Mike Venturino's SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST and Randolph Wright's LOADING AND SHOOTING PAPER PATCH BULLETS, A BEGINNERS GUIDE (which covers a lot more on loading than just paper patch.). Between the two of them, you'll have almost all the info you need to get started reloading.

I shoot a 50/90 Shiloh Long Range Express with a 34 inch barrel and that's not the most popular caliber either.

ONE EXCELLENT TIP TO START YOU OFF: Use 1F powder to start...the slower powders kick less in a grain for grain volume...also slower velocity but not a problem when you're getting started.

Enjoy your treasure
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks all!

blueroan, thanks for the book tips! I already have 3 of MV's books but I'll get that one as well. I just wasn't sure if this was a buffalo rifle or not. I got the SPG BP cart loading book last month but haven't opened it yet.

How does 1F compare to cartridge grade? Finer? Coarser?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The .45-120 is like lobbing in an artillery round - and just as much fun!!! :D

Congrats!!! 8)
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ysabel Kid wrote:The .45-120 is like lobbing in an artillery round - and just as much fun!!! :D

Congrats!!! 8)
Standing on the island again?:lol:

Nice looking rifle!

I wasn't Arty but it did kind of remind me of shooting the M203...:D
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I shoot a .40-90SBN, possibly the least popular among modern shooters, but it was a popular round in the day.

I don't recommend Pyrodex for cartridge. I feel the fouling is extremely difficult to keep soft and some (I among them) believe that it is actually more corrosive than real BP.

I haven't heard that the .45-120 is a difficult cartridge to load for. It doesn't suffer from the problems of the bottle neck cases, just the need to have rifling twist and bullet weight optimized for the velocity attained. Your lead formula and load will need to be fine tuned to ensure you don't suffer "stripping" and loss of stability. I can't offer any specifics to your caliber, but second the recommendation to visit the Shiloh forum and look thru the "Blackpowder Shooting" section and read up.

Congratulations on your new gun and good luck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

awp101 wrote:
Standing on the island again?:lol:

[/quote]

Yep! Managed not to fall off or take a picture of my slippers - it was a good day! :wink:
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I read an article a while back on this cartridge and it said the better accuracy comes with increased velocity!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I popped over to the Shiloh forum last night...whew I have a lot of reading to do! :shock:

I noticed Cabela's had APP(?) behind the counter. They were too busy for me to wait and ask them, is this BP or a substitute?

I hope wheelweights agree with this rifle since that will be what I use for most of my casting.... :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

WOW!! Nice rifle!

I have the Pedersoli Sporting Sharps in .45-70, my buddy has their Billy Dixon .45-90 and Rolling Block .45-70.

"Experimenting' is half the fun with these rifles but your "revelation" will come with Holy Black and lead/tin bullets.

I pulled my hair out trying to get my buddy's '90 to shoot with wheelweight bullets and smokeless powders. My "best" smokeless loads would print 7"-8" patterns rather than groups AT 50 YARDS!!! Switching to "real" powder and lead/tin bullets was "eye opening' to say the least.

Go ahead and order some Goes from www.powderinc.com A pound doesn't last long feeding one of those, and you can order as little as 5 lb at a time. Best price is on a 25 lb case.

I tried Goex Cartridge grade and the only difference I noticed was slightly less velocity and another $1.00 per pound on the price. Fouling wasn't noticeably decreased and accuracy wasn't increased.

Accuracy did, in our cases with all three rifles, improve as velocity and bullet weight increased. In my .45 -70, 70 grains of FFg compressed .400 under a slightly "undersize" Ideal 457125 lubed with 2/1 beeswax/Bore Butter has been my best load.

Start making weekly trips to you metals recycler in search of lead sheeting, pipe, cable sheathing, and commercial ingots of plumber's lead. Stay away from "mystery metal" someone else has cast into ingots except for use as plinking pistol or rifle bullets.

Let the white smoke roll!!!!
Last edited by Yance on Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Re: I got it bad...

Post by LeverBob »

awp101 wrote:And it sure is good! :lol:

I did some horse trading with my shooting buddy and got this a couple of weeks ago:
Pedersoli "Quigley" Model, .45-120

It's a small artillery piece but fun as can be! The thing should be crew served IMO... :shock:

I know it's not an exact replica of the one in the movie but I do have a question. What Sharps action is it based upon?
Now ain't that a daisy...

LeverBob
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, in regards to WW casting I found this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=1619&start=0

And did some quick looking. It looks like something like this might be a better choice:
Ney Certified 30 to 1 Bullet Casting Alloy Box of 4 Ingots (30 Parts Lead to 1 Part Tin) Approximately 30 lbs Average total Weight

Thirty parts of lead and one part of tin (97% lead, 3% tin). Preferred by some black powder cartridge shooters. The Brinell Hardness of 30-1 alloy is about 8. Sold by the ingot, not by weight. Approximate weight is 7.50 lbs. per ingot.

(Bah, it won't let me link the picture...)

Or would the linotype alloy be a better choice?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Yup, 30-1. Stay away from linotype except to harden rifle or magnum handgun bullets.

Midway has a "Free freight" option on the 4 and 8 ingot cartons. If you figure shipping $$ on lesser amounts you'll see that this is the best bet.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=22164010
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Got it! I'll probably get some linotype when I order since I'll be casting other stuff as well.

Thanks! :D
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at