question on marlin 336 prices

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

question on marlin 336 prices

Post by DarryH »

I see a LOT of adds for the Marlin 336 as a scoped combo. The guns are usually regular priced about $350, sometimes $379. They are on sale ALL the time for $300 for the combo.

Now we see these for sale all the time on the computer, in stores, etc. Why is it they everyone wants $350 to $375 for this same gun/scope combo that is used????? These should sell for $250-$273.

I do realize that some of the guns are older, and more desirable, but most I see are exactly the same as the ones in the adds.

This is a mystery to me!!!

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska
Hobie

Re: question on marlin 336 prices

Post by Hobie »

Those guns sell for that because people will buy them for that. We don't see the old guns hang around in the shop long enough to be advertised. You must be talking about new guns. In that case those are outstanding prices. NEW Marlins retail somewhere over $500 sans scope. The cheapest scope out there is about $40 but most seem buy those that run $80-150.

There is some desire for the older/used guns, depending on condition. However they still bring less than new guns. MOST come with whatever sights the previous owner had on them. Only those scopes with lifetime guarantees really up the price at all. Ours have been priced from $275 to about $350. Of course some of that depends on what we had to pay for them... :wink:

Now, if you can find those rifles before the owner runs to the gun shop to sell them you might get them for $250-275 and I wish you luck in that. Most private sellers want what the shops sell the guns for. The days of the $250 Marlin in excellent to fine condition seem to be past, at least for the moment.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Well, it's actually perhaps a legitimate sales technique. It relies on the "Greater Fool" theory. It goes like this : " I paid $300 for this item when I wanted it. Now, for whatever reason, I no longer want it. There is surely some Greater Fool out there in Internet la-la land who will pay me $350."

Of course, some of those rifles never sell at those prices. But the fact is, I think guns in the vast majority of cases tend to be pretty much impulse buys. Now, as a seasoned veteran of many a gun deal, I (usually) know what I'm looking for and what I'm willing to pay/trade. If I see what I want at a price I want, the impulse hits, and I rarely come out to the bad on these deals. But many folks lack even that small bit of self control, including me at times, and those sorts of impulse buys almost always cost me more than they should have. I don't wear my Greater Fool crown too often, but I still have one. :oops: :lol:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:D I got my 336 w/3x9 Bushnell Banner, like new, for 200 bucks from the Park Manager where I reside.....even told him I was under paying him if he went out and worked at finding a buyer in the paper, but he wanted that cash right now, so......... :D
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Yeah well, call me a fool if ya like, but to me the fool is the skinflint that pines away for something, but won't pay for it unless it's a steal, and dies NOT having enjoyed whatever it was he wanted.

My old man wanted a nice, used diesel pickup to travel with. He looked for YEARS and rejected several. He dropped dead in his driveway, having never seen the west......

Not happinin here. I want something, unless it's a total rip off, I just go for it. I have guns I probably paid a hundred or two too much for. I've also spent a lot of money on dinners out and couldn't remember anything remarkable about it the next day.

VALUE is remembered long after price is forgotten. If ya know something is "good" and you want to enjoy it, ya gotta pay or pine away. You really do get to choose.
Certified gun nut
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

adirondakjack wrote:Yeah well, call me a fool if ya like, but to me the fool is the skinflint that pines away for something, but won't pay for it unless it's a steal, and dies NOT having enjoyed whatever it was he wanted.

My old man wanted a nice, used diesel pickup to travel with. He looked for YEARS and rejected several. He dropped dead in his driveway, having never seen the west......

Not happinin here. I want something, unless it's a total rip off, I just go for it. I have guns I probably paid a hundred or two too much for. I've also spent a lot of money on dinners out and couldn't remember anything remarkable about it the next day.

VALUE is remembered long after price is forgotten. If ya know something is "good" and you want to enjoy it, ya gotta pay or pine away. You really do get to choose.
+1 as long as spending it don't take away from another owed obligation, like bills or family stuff like rent and food.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I never count on being lucky, i.e. finding a bargain. Then again I never turn down lucky either but it doesn't come very often.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

cash talks and the way this economy is heading there are deals out there.
pete
DAV life member.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I bought my Marlin 336C 30-30 at K mart for $149. Oh yeah that was back in 1982!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

if you're talking about new ones, it must be the W model which is not walnut.

My gunsmith has a new one of those for $425 or so, without scope. Has the cool gold trigger, though.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
doorgunner
Levergunner

Post by doorgunner »

adirondakjack wrote:Yeah well, call me a fool if ya like, but to me the fool is the skinflint that pines away for something, but won't pay for it unless it's a steal, and dies NOT having enjoyed whatever it was he wanted.

My sentiments exactly! Well spoken my friend.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

doorgunner wrote:

I agree with this, to a point. The point being the "total rip off" so frequently seen on Gunbroker and at the gunshows. I just this weekend turned down a gunshow Marlin 1894CL, .218 Bee, at $550.00 which was at least $150.00 over the blue book and he wouldn't come down a dime. Still there late Sunday afternoon. If I had purchased it I would have had no joy of ownership knowing I had been a sucker.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote:
doorgunner wrote:

I agree with this, to a point. The point being the "total rip off" so frequently seen on Gunbroker and at the gunshows. I just this weekend turned down a gunshow Marlin 1894CL, .218 Bee, at $550.00 which was at least $150.00 over the blue book and he wouldn't come down a dime. Still there late Sunday afternoon. If I had purchased it I would have had no joy of ownership knowing I had been a sucker.
Are you sure? Five hundred for a nice CL in Bee, 32-20, or 25-20 is a firesale price, IMO. The four hundred you are refering to would be for a regular C in 357 or .44 mag.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV