45-70 Load Suggestions?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

45-70 Load Suggestions?

Post by GANJIRO »

I have loaded up some 450 grain .458 cast flat nose plain base bullets for my 45-70 (Smelly Nelly) using 39 Grains of IMR-3031 BUT I ran out and none available on island BUT I have plenty IMR-4064 AND WW748 to play with, anyone here have a load to share with these combinations? THANKS!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Already did some simple math and came up with 7% increase in weight of 4064 to equal the performance as 3031 thus 41.73 grains of 4064 equals to 39 grains of 3031 but at a slight pressure decrease. These are high Trapdoor level loads so a safe starting point for Smelly Nelly. Already reloaded some for my next range trip.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Hodgdon Powder website only lists a 405 and 485 gr bullets, so it's not much help. But, would be a starting point. They list loads for both 3031 and 4064, but nothing for 748 in this cartridge.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

For some reason I get very inconsistant results when I load 748 reduced loads in larger cases. Tried different primers, still did not get the same consistancy as H4198. Must have something to do with being a "ball" powder, likes a fuller case.
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Old Time Hunter wrote:For some reason I get very inconsistant results when I load 748 reduced loads in larger cases. Tried different primers, still did not get the same consistancy as H4198. Must have something to do with being a "ball" powder, likes a fuller case.
From what I gather 748 works better in 45-70 volumes using a large magnum rifle primer. I didn't have any so I loaded up some using Federal F215 primers, will report if I ever get a chance to get to the range.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Ganjiro, awhile back I loaded some 45-70 405gr cast with 748 powder. The#10 Speer manual list the first load at 58gr at 1667fps.That was for the old H&R singleshot. I thought it shot ok.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

JerryB wrote:Ganjiro, awhile back I loaded some 45-70 405gr cast with 748 powder. The#10 Speer manual list the first load at 58gr at 1667fps.That was for the old H&R singleshot. I thought it shot ok.

Jerry
Hi Jerry, did you use a plain base or gas check bullet? Did you use magnum rifle primer or regular large rifle primer? I loaded up some 405 flat nose plain base 47 grains 748 with F215 LRP primers. I'm trying to keep it under 1500 due to plain base and relatively soft alloy. Gotta git me some gas check 405s to try. Thanks!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ji,

I'd try IMR4064 before I'd use the WW748. I've never used WW748 sans magnum primers (I use all CCI) with any satisfaction. The magnum primers are not used with 4064.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The bullets were plain base and the primers were CCI magnum, thats all I had at the time. I finally was able to get a pound of 5744 powder but have not got any loading done yet.I think that I will start at 30gr with the 5744 and 405 plain base bullets.

Jerry
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15