OT - ? for you .243 Win. Owners.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

OT - ? for you .243 Win. Owners.

Post by cshold »

A few yrs. ago I picked up this Win. Model 70 with a
very nice Leapold 3 to 9 on it at a price I just couldn't pass on.
I have never hunted with it. my son has decided he wants to deer hunt with it this yr.
I have only ever shot about a half box of Federal 100 gr. sp's through it.
Honestly don't even remember the results, but I think they were good.

My question is for you guys that own or have owned and deer hunted
with the 243, what factory brand and bullet type would be best for
deer hunting?

TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - ? for you .243 Win. Owners.

Post by TedH »

I've only used 100 Speer Grand Slam bullets in my 243 for deer hunting. I've never needed more than one shot to put a deer down. In fact, the biggest whitetail I've shot was with a Ruger 77 MKII 243. While I don't have any first hand experience with a "standard" bullet on game, personally I would only use a premium bullet to ensure good penetration on a less than perfect presentation. Anything like the Grand Slam, Nosler Partition, etc will do the job. As always, shot placement is key. I think you can get the Federal Premium ammo with 100 r. Partitions if you're after factory ammo.
NRA Life Member
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Do you want the "best" on your wallet or the best bullet? I'll tell you what worked for me, but I wouldn't consider it the "best" factory load. A premium bullet is usually better than a standard bullet, but not usually necessary for deer.

My first rifle was a Featherweight M70 243. I hunted with it from age 12 to 17 (1985 to 1990), taking 10 deer and an antelope in Nevada, average distance about 180 yards. Every animal was taken with Remington 100 gr Core-Lokt SPs. The standard Winchester 100 gr shot about the same accuracy, but my dad preferred I shoot the Remingtons, so I did. They always did the job just fine.

To this day I use Remington Green box CLs in my 264 Win Mag, ON DEER, with excellent results.

IMO, the Remington CL is a very effective bullet for deer and smaller. For anything larger I handload Barnes or Nosler Partitions.

I always wanted to make the Hornady Light Mags work in my 243, but the accuracy was dismal. Federals shot OK, but not as good as the Remington or Winchester.

Of course, your rifle has a heavier piece of wood and a heavier barrel, so who knows? It will probably like more loads that my wippy little barrel does.

Good luck to you and let us know.
Chad
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Waaay back when, my cousin used to borrow my 243 every year for elk hunting he always bought remington 100 gr factory ammo. I always emptied the left overs in the box and loaded those with Hornady 100 gr.
Basically what ever 100 gr factory load your rifle will shoot the best will work just fine.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Thanks for the info. guys.
I don't think he will spend the $ for the premium .243's
Come to think of it, I do remember someone telling me
long ago that the Rem. 100 gr. core-lokt sp's were the cats
wisker in the 243 and the 6mm Rem.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Federal Premium ammo with Barnes 85gr. TSX. I've had great success with this combo. Given the choice, I wouldn't shoot anything else. See my previous post about half way down.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ad#p149387
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In factory the 100 gr offerings from Remington, Winchester and Federal will be fine.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Though it may sound trite, try a few brands to see which one your rifle likes best. For example -
My Ruger 77 .243 shoots sub MOA groups with 100 grain Winchester and HOrnady Custom bullets, but closer to 1.5 with Hornady Light magnums.
My daughter's Savage 110 .243 likes the 100 grain Light Magnums better (less than .5 MOA) than the Winchester (1-2 MOA).

PICK THE ONE YOU LIKE BEST AND GO SLAY SOME WHITETAILS.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Hey,my 1973 Featherweight looks just like that one.Nice Gun! For deer, I prefer the Federal 85gr BTHP 3320fps(sighted in just 1 inch high at 100yds even at 300yds your only 5 inches low.That baby just drops em quick.Seems like it drops em faster than the 100grs.At least in my experience??????
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

ANY factory 100 grain load put in the right spot will do a good job.
I buy the cheapest first and see if it is accurate.
So far, never had to buy a different kind.
My most used factory load is a Federal Classic Series
100 grain soft point. Never fails!

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

madman4570 wrote:Hey,my 1973 Featherweight looks just like that one.Nice Gun! For deer, I prefer the Federal 85gr BTHP 3320fps(sighted in just 1 inch high at 100yds even at 300yds your only 5 inches low.That baby just drops em quick.Seems like it drops em faster than the 100grs.At least in my experience??????
Well now that’s interesting. :)
To be honest, I didn’t research this rifle, I just more or less
tossed it into the gun dungeon and forgot about it.
I didn’t know it's a featherweight nor do I know it’s age.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

They are very nice guns,and with that Leupold,it should be very accurate.It should say Featherweight stamped right on it if it is indeed a Featherweight.
thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

My first deer rifle was a Savage 99E (20" barrel) in .243 Winchester. My Dad gave it to me just prior to deer season of 1960, I was 13 years old. I put a Tasco 4x on that rifle with Weaver mounts and rings. I shot both Remington and Winchester Super X 100 grain ammo and they killed deer relatively quick with no animal traveling more than 40 yards or so after being hit. Few deer dropped in their tracks. That was when the .243 was relatively new. And, my 20" barrel 99 was probably not getting those bullets up to speed for them to expand.
I finally went to 80 grain SuperX ammo and all deer fell dead right where they were hit. Back then, those factory 100 grain bullets had thicker jackets than they really needed, and expansion was a problem.

Now days, the bullets are better than they were back then and 100 grain factory offerings are good. My wife shoots a Winchester 70 Lite Weight with laminated stock and a Redfield Golden 5 Star 4x scope. She uses Nosler 95 grain Ballistic tips and Winchester SuperX 100 grainers and has no problem dropping her bucks. Don't sell those Winchester lite weight or feather weight (they are the same) barrels short. They are very accurate. My wife's rifle and my win 70 featherweight .270 can group 3 shots in 5/8" at 100 yards with good handloads.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

PS: Hey Casastahle, if I am not mistaken, your rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Lite Weight with Walnut stock. It is a fine rifle.
Last edited by thornblom on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Only one reason I can see using a much slower 100gr and thats to to save meat. :lol: cause I sure have never had a penetartion problem with those 85 grainers.when they get shot with them they just FALL DEAD(right then) :lol:

Heck,most any of them will do,but I have to say the 100gr Remington Core-Lokts-- I was never satisfied with their performance with the .243 on deer.Maybe its just me? Maybe another thing is I am just used to this cartridge.There are about 4 farms in Rome Pa,(3500acres)that I shoot the woodchucks there for the farmers and that is what I also use.(I used to handload Hot 75grHP loads)but I like the 85gr best. Check the ballistic advantage below with the 85gr(also this load is pretty darn stable for wind drift)
http://www.bushnell.com/products/rangef ... c_data.pdf
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Those M70 are neat, but one bullet may not work in yours as another.
I had a Rem 700 that turned Hornady 100grn spiters into varmint bullets but the same bullet in a Vanguard and they performed perfectly!

I can not remember what those Winchester 243 rifling looks like but the Rem looked proud and sharp! The Vanguard was shallow and hence kinder on the bullet.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Well now that’s interesting.]
[To be honest, I didn’t research this rifle, I just more or less tossed it into the gun dungeon and forgot about it. ]
[I didn’t know it's a featherweight nor do I know it’s age.]

casastahle - FWIW, post-64 Featherweights were made with a schnobble-tipped forend. IMHO, you have a standard, push-feed, Model 70 Sporter from the 1970's.

BTW - The trigger is adjustable.

Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Remington 100 grain Core-Lokt....works if you do your part....pretty cheap and usually on sale around deer season and everyone carries them...

jumbeaux
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

My Remington 700 LOVES the cheap Rem. 100 gr Corelokts.
Only used this gun for one deer and one Pronghorn, Bullet exited deer at 100 yds, Bullet did NOT exit on the goat at 315 yds, but it was dead before it hit the ground. Didn't even twitch!
Never saw that before, except in a head shot.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Pete44ru wrote:[Well now that’s interesting.]
[To be honest, I didn’t research this rifle, I just more or less tossed it into the gun dungeon and forgot about it. ]

casastahle - FWIW, post-64 Featherweights were made with a schnobble-tipped forend. IMHO, you have a standard, push-feed, Model 70 Sporter from the 1970's.

I think you are right.
I looked it over real good, and I see nothing saying Feather weight or
light anything on it anywhere. :)
It indeed has a very nice trigger pull.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

ya it might be the sporter.Mine has a 22" barrel and I guess that one is a little longer.Whats a schnobble-tipped forend?? Now my 1985 Winchester 70XTR 7mm sporter has a eboney styled black forend tip?????????My Featherweights forearm .243 looks a lot like that one above from what I see(it does not have the black tip?)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

madman4570

This is a pic. of a post 64 Featherweight with the schnobble-tipped forend.
Think I like the looks of mine better though, my recoil pad looks much nicer IMHO. :wink:
jackruff
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jackruff »

Remington 100 grain Core Lokts have always worked well in my Remington 742 and Ruger M77. They are 6 m m caliber, but the bullets are the same. This year, though, I'm hunting mostly with one of my three Marlin lever actions.
bmtshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bmtshooter »

I've shot lots of deer with 100 grain remingtons from my savage 110 ....no problems. I have been hunting the last few years with a early 1900's vintage winchester 94 in 30-30. Open sights and aging eyes make it challenging & lots of fun. No survivors yet.
NRA life member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

casastahle, I will pull mine out of the safe tomorrow and look at it.I am almost positive mine has the smooth rounded forearm like yours,but mine I am pretty sure has no recoil pad.It came with rifle sights and had a 22 inch barrel????
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Federal Premium ammo with Barnes 85gr. TSX. I've had great success with this combo. Given the choice, I wouldn't shoot anything else. See my previous post about half way down.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... ad#p149387
+ 1 !! I've witnessed an awful lot of BIG deer that have taken one of these bullets and have been D.R.T. Not just lung shots either, plenty were pass through shoulder shots out to about 250 yds. :shock: I'm a believer. Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

I am glad to hear about the Barnes TSX. I just bought a box to try in my .243. I hope they shoot well.

Jay
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I might try those TSX bullets sometime! I do really like the 85gr weight on deer.
That extra speed from everything I have seen makes a big difference on deer/varmits.But hey, its all good and I say everyone has their prefrence whether its from 75-100gr and thats what its all about.Choices---and thats cool! :wink:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

casastahle wrote:

I think you are right.
I looked it over real good, and I see nothing saying Feather weight or
light anything on it anywhere. :)
It indeed has a very nice trigger pull.
After a very close examination (with my glasses on this time :wink: )
The rifle is indeed a Lightweight, says so right on the barrel,
opposite side of Winchester Model 70 SA .234 Win.
It has the 22” barrel. Question what's the SA stand for??
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I use Sierra Pro Hunter 100 grain bullets in my 243. It hits hard. My little buddy recommends Remington CoreLokt 100 grainers. A pic is worth a thousand words. Every critter in the pics fell to a single round of factory Remington 100 grain.

First deer

First pig

First sho' nuff buck
Last edited by Dave on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

casastahle, Short Action!

Dave, Awesome game! Your a great Hunter! :mrgreen:
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

madman4570 wrote:casastahle, Short Action!
Dave, Awesome game! Your a great Hunter! :mrgreen:
Thanks madman4570,
Kinda thought that was going to be the answer. :)
I have come to the Conclusion, a person has way two many guns when one
finds they don’t have a clue about a gun they’ve had for over 3 years.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

casastahle, With a fine gun like that,there is no such thing as too many! :lol:
Hope it serves you well friend! See ya!
DarryH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DarryH »

URGENT REQUEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP using the words "too many guns"!!!!!!!

If the wives ever get wind of this, we're all done!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

For shots at longer distances, Nosler 95 gr Ballistic Tip by Black Hills Ammo is both SUPER accurate and hard hitting. But shots at typical forest distances I've had good luck with Remington core-lockt and plain Jane PMP ammo from South Africa. Any good 100 grain bullet will smash through ribs to destroy the chest organs.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

DarryH wrote:URGENT REQUEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP using the words "too many guns"!!!!!!!

If the wives ever get wind of this, we're all done!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good Shootin!!
DarryH
Nebraska
OOOPS that was indeed a total brain fanny burp thing to say and or type. LOL :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

thanks for the thread, guys, I think I'm convinced.

If I want to get serious about taking a Southern CA buck, I need to be prepared for long shots, use Barnes bullets, and carry and pack easily. Sounds like .243 can kill deer, so an H&R ultralight might fill all requirements for me, unlike any of my current calibers (30-30, 35 Rem, or .357).

A 336 starts to feel like a railroad tie after 10 miles.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I now have 5 boxes of Remington 100 grain Core Lokts
I won on gunbroker today on the way. My son should
be happy with those to start out with. :)
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, El, reality sets in.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

yeah, I've noticed I have more trouble recovering than I used to. I can still climb but it's the long walk on the road to get in and out. Not to mention that the Angeles NF is so rough that any trip is uphill in both directions.

I've been trying to carry less weight and want to start using a bicycle. I bought a bike rack for the car 3 years ago and haven't used it yet!

One of those handi-rifles, broken open, should be easy to carry on a bike.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."