Need info on Win. 1873

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Missouri Mule
Levergunner

Need info on Win. 1873

Post by Missouri Mule »

This is not my rifle, it is for a friends son. I need a birthday and a ball-park idea of value. Here is what my friend sent me:

stamped on the barrel winchester's repeating arms new haven ct king's improvement patented march 29 1856 october 16 1860 serial # 89469a or 89169a // stamped behind hammer model 1873 38 1/2 in total length 19 1/4 in octagonal barrel. no caliber stamp found so I had him measure the inside of the barrel .429. I think it's a .44-40 I found something similar at gun broker .com http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =140538837

Thanks for all your help gentlemen...
Watch yer TopKnot
Missouri Mule
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Re: Need info on Win. 1873

Post by Kansas Ed »

DOB is 1882. More info needed for any value. Pics are better. The serial number could go either way...a late second model (worth more) or an early third model. Make sure you are measuring the barrel from the breech face, and not the face of the receiver. It sounds like a carbine, but could also be a rifle that someone has chopped the barrel on, which would relegate it to half of it's potential value. There are a lot of different variations with the '73 so pictures are really a must for these rifles. Values could span a large difference.

Ed
gak
Senior Levergunner

Re: Need info on Win. 1873

Post by gak »

Sounds like a "short rifle," unless as stated someone cut a longer rifle (Look up similar Italian (Uberti) clones like www.Cimarron-firearms.com and www.Taylorsfirearms.com - for similar configurations...or any number of auction sites, like Gunbroker or www.merzantique.com for the real article) The octagonal aspect and "rifle" butt (if present)--characterized by more radical/sharper curvature vs carbine---would suggest it's not a "carbine." Like the gent said--pics please!