OT-fun with a clunker

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

OT-fun with a clunker

Post by jnyork »

A couple of months ago I got this ol' Savage model 340. .222 Remington, at a gunshow for $200.00. Took me quite a while to get the correct side scope mount, and found a nice period Weaver El Paso K-10 on gun forum classified, along with the necessary brass, dies, etc. (Ever notice, you get a deal on a gun and then go broke getting all the appurtances? :shock: )

Anyway, got it running today and shot a couple of 10-shot groups. It will easily hold 8 shots in 3/4 inch, with 2 fliers out to the right about 1 inch. Same thing both groups. It was a hot day with a little tiny breeze moving a boiling mirage so I kinda think maybe that's what happened. I havent played with any loads, this was 19.5 gr. RE-7 and a 50 grain Hornady SXSP, perhaps it will do a little better with some tinkering with the loads.

It aint a benchrest rifle by any means, but it already shoots minute of coyote so I am looking forward to tweaking it.

stew71
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT-fun with a clunker

Post by stew71 »

Nice shootin' iron you have there. I'm still kicking myself for letting one of those 340's in 30-30 slip through my fingers. Saw it at a local gun shop in the $100 rack. Good bore, action was in good shape. Just needed some TLC, a re-finished stock and that would have been a fun little brush gun. :mrgreen: :cry:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

got one in 30-30 for my son[doesn't like my levers?]. :roll:

been dealing with light primer strikes, had it apart a couple of times, don't see anything wrong.

could you look at the fired primers out of yours and tell me if the dents look deep/shallow or what?

thanks, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

pokey wrote:got one in 30-30 for my son[doesn't like my levers?]. :roll:

been dealing with light primer strikes, had it apart a couple of times, don't see anything wrong.

could you look at the fired primers out of yours and tell me if the dents look deep/shallow or what?

thanks, pokey
They look normal to me, Pokey. Have you tried another brand of primers? How is the protrusion? Also, make SURE you have your primers seated all the way down, a high primer will do that.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Clunker---I thought you were going to talk about Obama's clunker program. :D

Back when your Savage was made, they and Mossberg had some of the best barrels for the money. They still do.

In fact, I'll go as far as to say I've heard more complaints about Remington/Winchester barrels than I have Savage/Mossberg. 'Ya done good.-------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

jnyork wrote:

thanks, pokey
They look normal to me, Pokey. Have you tried another brand of primers? How is the protrusion? Also, make SURE you have your primers seated all the way down, a high primer will do that.
i have 3/4 different brands of lr primers, and these are all reloaded by me. i seat primers with a lee hand
primer and run a finger over each one, so i'm sure they are flush. the firing pin looks like it comes out
a good bit, but i don't have a gauge for that except what my winnies look like. when i take a shell that
the savage doesn't like and stuff it in one of my 94's it goes bang every time and the dent will be alot
deeper. still working on the mystery.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

pokey wrote:
jnyork wrote:

thanks, pokey
i have 3/4 different brands of lr primers, and these are all reloaded by me. i seat primers with a lee hand
primer and run a finger over each one, so i'm sure they are flush. the firing pin looks like it comes out
a good bit, but i don't have a gauge for that except what my winnies look like. when i take a shell that
the savage doesn't like and stuff it in one of my 94's it goes bang every time and the dent will be alot
Is the brass fully sized or just to the lever action? Try a bit more sizing on the brass or try a factory round or few to elliminate it.

222 I used for years. H322 and BL-C2 were my favourites.
Nice find.

Nath
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Nath wrote:
pokey wrote:
jnyork wrote:

thanks, pokey
Is the brass fully sized or just to the lever action? Try a bit more sizing on the brass or try a factory round or few to elliminate it.

222 I used for years. H322 and BL-C2 were my favourites.
Nice find.

Nath

all full length resized.

sorry about snakin' your thread, nice rifles when they work.

looks like you got a good one.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Those 340's and their Stevens cousins go as quick or quicker than anything else when we put one on the rack ... even when the price of a consignment is too high. They aren't fancy but are accurate.