hot loads

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

hot loads

Post by two bit okie »

Does any one have suggestions for hot loads for a mod 92 or clone. NOT 454 CASULL LEVELS.

Just hotter than recommended for handgun.

I am thinking of the puma (rossi) in 45 lc.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: hot loads

Post by J Miller »

two bit okie wrote:Does any one have suggestions for hot loads for a mod 92 or clone. NOT 454 CASULL LEVELS.

Just hotter than recommended for handgun.

I am thinking of the puma (rossi) in 45 lc.
T.B.O.,

I have my favorites, and they are hotter than Colt SAA level, but they are well within the range of Ruger revolvers.
For some really good loads I'd suggest locating a copy of the Hodgdons #26 manual or read Pacos articles on our home page.

Myself I'm happy with 18.5 grs of 2400 and a 265gr Keith bullet.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You can also try the Speer manual. It lists loads for a 300 grain JFP at around 1100 fps. That is starting to get noticeable in a handgun. In a carbine, I'd try some recipes for H4227 as it is listed in most tables and is a little slower than H110/WW296 and L'IL Gun. Get a chronograph and check the differences at 10 feet from the muzzle and you might be surprised. The Carbine barrel will give the H4227 a little more burn time and result in better velocity. I learned this from Mike Rintoul. He is amazingly knowledgeable when it comes to loading.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Post by arjunky »

Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

piller wrote: Mike Rintoul. He is amazingly knowledgeable when it comes to loading.
I would certainly hope so! :lol:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I use the Ruger-only loads that are in many manuala. I have no doubt the gun wiill handle hotter loads, but the shooter would have a hard time! The Ruger loads offer plenty of both power and recoil in a rifle.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I load 23 gr. H110/W296 under the 300 gr. jacketed bullets in my Rossi/EMF gun. Works a treat and within manual limits for the big Rugers.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I would use the Ruger Blackhawk only loads unless special care is made to mark them differently like brass cases for handgun and nickle cases for carbine. You wouldn't want to have a "hot" rifle round find its way into the revolver. That is also why I considered the Puma 454. You can use the same components except brass and can't load the 454 in the 45 Colt Ruger. I wound up buying a 480 Puma as they were being discontinued. I'll get a 45 Colt levergun eventually for CAS, not hunting, as the Puma in 480R should work for that.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

If you want a good "warm" but not "hot" load that shoots real good for a buddy of mine and me try 15 grains of Blue Dot under a 225 grain Speer bullet. Hammers deer and is accurate but is a pleasure to shoot and mild to the shoulder.