OT - GLOBAL WARMING YEH RIGHT!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

OT - GLOBAL WARMING YEH RIGHT!

Post by RIHMFIRE »

A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO IT WAS IN THE HIGH 20s AT HUNT CAMP AND TODAY THE HIGHS WILL BE IN THE 40s AND THE LOWS IN THE 20s.....AND I'M IN CENTRAL FLORIDA!!!!! THIS HAPPENS ABOUT EVERY 10 TO 12 YEARS... HOPE YOU GUYS UP NORTH HAVE PLENTY OF FIRE WOOD! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Well I'm up north (North Florida :roll: ) and we will hit the teens tonight with wind chill in the single digits.

I thought I would call Al Gore and invite him down to experience global warming in sunny Florida. Remember a few years ago when he was scheduled to give a speech on global warming in NYC and it had to be cancelled because of a blizzard?
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

People tend to misunderstand what global warming means. It's kind of an outdated term in the scientific community having been replaced with global climate change.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

We're expecting 43 Celsius today. That's warmish - :wink:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

It's a balmy 19* here in Ohio right now. looks like it will be up near the 50's next week. one thing for sure --- watch the weather records on t.v. for awhile and you will see that the weather has been screwed up here for more than 100 years.maybe thats when global warming started. :shock: Jim.
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

Jason_W wrote:People tend to misunderstand what global warming means. It's kind of an outdated term in the scientific community having been replaced with global climate change.
Global climate change has been a constant since long before man entered the picture. The area of Florida where I live has seen the coastline vary from about 40 miles south (meaning 40 miles offshore from the current coastline) to 40 miles north (further inland). When I used to live in Tallahassee I found a clay bank near a river that you could pull sea shells from with your bare hands. This was 30 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. All of this happened before man ever stepped foot in North America. Changing climatic conditions have nothing to little to do with man made activity. It is folly to think we can control the climate.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I was reading an article a couple weeks ago that stated that 2007 saw record low temperatures broken all over the world.
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

Jason_W wrote:People tend to misunderstand what global warming means. It's kind of an outdated term in the scientific community having been replaced with global climate change.
Yep, the climate changes. We call the seasons of the year.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Kirk, don't let that fool you - Algore already gave you the answers.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Advanced Levergunner

Global warming?

Post by 1886 »

Just came off the snowiest Dec. on record. I long for global warming or global climate change or ...Just warm up please. 1886.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Yep, seems like they have an excuse for any change in the weather - it's all Bush's/America's/Capitalism's fault.

The Global Warming/Climate Change crowd are watermelons - "green" on the outside, but commie red-pink on the inside. This is all about destroying our way of life, if we are ever foolish enough to give them the power to do so.

This is not to say we should treat our environment carelessly, but rather, destroying our economy and way of life is not going to help.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

It is 38 degrees out right now and windy. I know for everyone up north that doesnt seem too cold but, I live in south Florida.
I have tomato plants just budding, I have big beautiful pepper plants with peppers and buds on. i just spent the last hour covering as much of the garden as I can. The wind is gusting over 20 mph, which is going to make it tough to keep them covered.
And while it is cold and I worry about my plants, I just love it.
crawdaddyjim
Levergunner 2.0

Post by crawdaddyjim »

Good luck to ya Doc. It is now 30F at my house. The forecast had the wind dying down today but it doesn't seem to be. Won't be able to tell how bad the vegetables are for a couple of days.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Global warming needs help. It's 4* , yes four degrees right now at 6:45am in Spfld, IL. I think I'll go open up a can of R-12 and help it out.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

10* here this morning... I have seen -26* and that was not pleasant. You guys who see such temps every winter should be laughing but that cold hurts.
Last edited by Hobie on Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

global climate change
That happens every time ALGORE opens his mouth
and all the hot air escapes
ajw65
Levergunner

Post by ajw65 »

-7 degrees f.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

ITS SNOWING IN CENTRAL FLORIDA...
JUST FLURRIES.....SEEN THIS A COUPLE OF TIMES BEFORE
1979 AND 1987
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

Idled my truck's engine at a high idle all night long in order to have enough heat just to keep from freezing here at the truckstop south of Indy. I'm doing my part adding CO2 to the atmosphere to raise temps. :lol:
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

66GTO wrote:
Global climate change has been a constant since long before man entered the picture. The area of Florida where I live has seen the coastline vary from about 40 miles south (meaning 40 miles offshore from the current coastline) to 40 miles north (further inland). When I used to live in Tallahassee I found a clay bank near a river that you could pull sea shells from with your bare hands. This was 30 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. All of this happened before man ever stepped foot in North America. Changing climatic conditions have nothing to little to do with man made activity. It is folly to think we can control the climate.
It's true that climate change happens naturally, but does it hap naturally and as rapidly as it's happening now?

I'm mostly a common sense person. regardless of the validity of man made climate change, I figure that if I don't want it in my living room or my beer, we probably shouldn't be sending it off into the eco systems.

Even if climate change due to carbon emissions is bunk, the exhaust from countless coal and oil burning power plants and automobiles isn't good for much. There are remote lakes in the Adirondacks that have seen little to no human presence, but are still devoid of most life due to industrial fallout. You really aren't supposed to eat all that much wild caught fish here in the east due to mercury. This rubs me the wrong way.

I may get derided as a "tree-hugger" for my views, but as an avid hunter and angler, how can I not be concerned with the environment and what we pump into it?

I'm a realist and understand that we dug ourselves a hole by becomming an oil based civilization. I understand that we can't go cold turkey, but it would be nice if someone started working on a viable plan to transition our nation to run on something else.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I tend to agree with Jason.
It's common knowledge that the climate changes regardless of what we do. But its also pretty silly to think that what we do to the environment isn't haveing any effect. Doubt it'll matter in the long term as far as the planet goes. We probably wont be here long enough, at current population levels, to actually hurt it much.
Kinda funny tho, that if we were, even with all our intelligence & innovation, we'd just keep on keeping on till we killed our environment just like fish in a stagnant pond, cept of course they cant know why its hard to breath or avoid it if they did. We really arent that different than Gods other critters.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Leverdude wrote:I tend to agree with Jason.
It's common knowledge that the climate changes regardless of what we do. But its also pretty silly to think that what we do to the environment isn't haveing any effect. Doubt it'll matter in the long term as far as the planet goes. We probably wont be here long enough, at current population levels, to actually hurt it much.
Kinda funny tho, that if we were, even with all our intelligence & innovation, we'd just keep on keeping on till we killed our environment just like fish in a stagnant pond, cept of course they cant know why its hard to breath or avoid it if they did. We really arent that different than Gods other critters.
What I always say is that our problems will be fixed one way or another. either we can figure it out and do it ourselves or God/Nature (they are one in the same as far as I'm concerned) will fix them for us. Trouble is that God/Nature aren't gentle in the manner by which they correct problems.
Caco
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Caco »

Well I do believe god an nature have the ability to balance things out and mans efforts are pretty inefective on a world wide baises. In a relativly small area like cities, emisions can be a problem locally. That is a minute percentage of the tottal atmosphere. Forest fires and volcanos spew a lot more in shorter periods and this adjusts with time. We now use sulfer in our ag fertlizers to optimize quality and production for alfalfa and corn. The plants do utilize it.
A politician is shure to have your best intrests at heart :shock:
Am interested in these so called dead lakes-where they are -what caused the problem, and if this is only a recent problem.
Dave
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Caco wrote: Am interested in these so called dead lakes-where they are -what caused the problem, and if this is only a recent problem.
Dave
It's not a recent but an ongoing one. I remember reading about it from a print source. I can't provide a net link, but if I get some time today I can probably hunt one up.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What impact do events like the eruptions of Mt. St. Hellens or Mt. Pinatubo have on the enviroment?

Can you drink sea water? ... and oil is a natural substance.

I suppose that it is a survival of the species psuedo-logic to live under the illusion that everything that is not beneficial to human-kind is bad for the planet or that everything that man makes or does is un-natural, but I'm thinkin' that it just ain't so.

The things we do may not be so good for us, but the planet just doesn't care.

When we have gone the way of the dinosaurs, and we will, nature and the earth will still be here and the weather won't matter.

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

FWiedner wrote: The things we do may not be so good for us, but the planet just doesn't care.

When we have gone the way of the dinosaurs, and we will, nature and the earth will still be here and the weather won't matter.

Very true. But my self preservation instinct would like us to not do ourselves in with such fervor as we currently seem to be. When you boil it down to the bones, the sole goal of any species is to survive.

While it's a fact that we can't survive indefinitely on this planet, even if we reduce our population to a more sustainable level and drastically reduced the amount of pollution our civilization creates since (the sun will eventually expand to engulf the planet) it would be kind of nice if humans existed long enough to figure out how to colonize other worlds.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Jason,
Don't confuse global climate change due to human activity with our ability to poison the planet. The latter we can do quite easily although we are getting better at cleaning up our act. Our impact on long term climate is practically nil, and only our arrogance could imply we have than much impact or control. The computer models used to demonstrate global warming are flawed - a product of garbage in leading to garbage out. Those models show just what the programmers want to see. Those same computer, run in reverse, can't tell you what the climate was in the past, how can they predict the future? Too many variables involved and way too much we don't understand. Since the variables used to calculate the impacts must be limited, the ones that are included are primarily those that will give us the anticipated result.

The world is warming up, but mankind is just a spectator. It has been warmer in the past, but the vast majority of the time it has been much colder. It is the ice age we should fear, not warming.
Well done is better than well said.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

Jayhawker wrote:Jason,
Don't confuse global climate change due to human activity with our ability to poison the planet. The latter we can do quite easily although we are getting better at cleaning up our act. Our impact on long term climate is practically nil, and only our arrogance could imply we have than much impact or control. The computer models used to demonstrate global warming are flawed - a product of garbage in leading to garbage out. Those models show just what the programmers want to see. Those same computer, run in reverse, can't tell you what the climate was in the past, how can they predict the future? Too many variables involved and way too much we don't understand. Since the variables used to calculate the impacts must be limited, the ones that are included are primarily those that will give us the anticipated result.

The world is warming up, but mankind is just a spectator. It has been warmer in the past, but the vast majority of the time it has been much colder. It is the ice age we should fear, not warming.
I'm actually equally skeptical of the flat out deniers of human made climate change, and the "Day After Tomorrow" type doomsayers. I expect the truth to lie somewhere in between.

I do notice that winters here in Vermont are noticably warmer and shorter than they were when I was a kid. We have a couple cold days ahead of us, but next week it's supposed to go back into the 40s to low 50s. We had similar warm weather the three years prior to this.

I do agree that on a grand cosmic scale, humans can't hurt the planet. Even if we carpet nuked the entire surface of the planet, some life, maybe in some deep ocean trench would survive and eventually evolve into something more complex. Who knows, in a few tens of millions of years maybe some other form of "intelligent" life will have replaced us and will be making all the same mistakes we are. Life itself always seems to prevail, though, and I take great comfort in that.
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Examine the science behind the claims for yourself; it's commonly available on the web and in your local libraries. If not, then use interlibrary loan. Look for peer reviewed articles that deal with raw data, not someone's second hand interpretation. That way, you won't have to expect the answer to lie anywhere.
Well done is better than well said.
SMP
Levergunner

Post by SMP »

-2*F here in NY when I went out this morning got to a high of 9*F.Looking at the news they say it's 6*F,I don't believe 'em :roll: ,and it was nice and windy all day.They say it may hit 60* by Tues. :roll:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Yep, seems like they have an excuse for any change in the weather - it's all Bush's/America's/Capitalism's fault . . . This is not to say we should treat our environment carelessly, but rather, destroying our economy and way of life is not going to help.
Yep - just like fighting 'crime' and 'poverty' - the REAL agenda is an ego-centric lust for CONTROL. They want to dictate to everyone else what kind of values and lifestyle to have, far BEYOND the Libertarian notion of 'your right to swing your fist stops at the tip of my nose' - instead they want to cut the arm off and tax it.

I have relatives who are really 'smart' IQ-wise, but continue to fall over and over again for the 'environmental' garbage the Dems spew out - as if somehow electing THEM will improve the quality of our forests, streams, and air.

Most of the 'environmentalists' I know make a show of driving a compact car, and spend the money they save on gas on tofu and panda-posters, but most of the people I know who are really making a difference (by owning land, protecting land, or actually LIVING a low-impact lifestyle, rather than merely APPEARING to) are just regular hilljack/redneck/working people, who have more intelligence than to fall for socialist dictator-wannabes just because they put a 'green' armband on rather than a swastika.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
redgum
Levergunner

Post by redgum »

Bruce Scott wrote:We're expecting 43 Celsius today. That's warmish - :wink:

G'day to yer Bruce, I'm in Western Vic. and we've been getting a bit o' the same.
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

FWiedner wrote:What impact do events like the eruptions of Mt. St. Hellens or Mt. Pinatubo have on the enviroment?

Can you drink sea water? ... and oil is a natural substance.

I suppose that it is a survival of the species psuedo-logic to live under the illusion that everything that is not beneficial to human-kind is bad for the planet or that everything that man makes or does is un-natural, but I'm thinkin' that it just ain't so.

The things we do may not be so good for us, but the planet just doesn't care.

That nail was hit smack dab on the head :D

People like to say "man made" but we are a part of nature, are we not?

If we are hurting anything it's only because there are 6 billion of us.

Mother nature will change as she always has, and if it's a quick one like is known
to happen in the past our numbers will suffer greatly.
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AJMD429 wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote: Yep, seems like they have an excuse for any change in the weather - it's all Bush's/America's/Capitalism's fault . . . This is not to say we should treat our environment carelessly, but rather, destroying our economy and way of life is not going to help.
Yep - just like fighting 'crime' and 'poverty' - the REAL agenda is an ego-centric lust for CONTROL. They want to dictate to everyone else what kind of values and lifestyle to have, far BEYOND the Libertarian notion of 'your right to swing your fist stops at the tip of my nose' - instead they want to cut the arm off and tax it.

I have relatives who are really 'smart' IQ-wise, but continue to fall over and over again for the 'environmental' garbage the Dems spew out - as if somehow electing THEM will improve the quality of our forests, streams, and air.

Most of the 'environmentalists' I know make a show of driving a compact car, and spend the money they save on gas on tofu and panda-posters, but most of the people I know who are really making a difference (by owning land, protecting land, or actually LIVING a low-impact lifestyle, rather than merely APPEARING to) are just regular hilljack/redneck/working people, who have more intelligence than to fall for socialist dictator-wannabes just because they put a 'green' armband on rather than a swastika.
AJMD429 -

Exactly!

Here's an old one, but true (verified by snopes):

LOOK OVER THE DESCRIPTIONS OF THE FOLLOWING TWO HOUSES AND SEE IF YOU CAN TELL WHICH BELONGS TO AN ENVIRONMENTALIST.

HOUSE # 1:

A 20-room mansion (not including 8 bathrooms) heated by natural gas. Add on a pool (and a pool house) and a separate guest house all heated by gas. In ONE MONTH ALONE this mansion consumes more energy than the average American household in an ENTIRE YEAR. The average bill for electricity and natural gas runs over USD 2,400.00 per month. In natural gas alone (which last time we checked was a fossil fuel), this property consumes more than 20 times the national average for an American home. This house is not in a northern or Midwestern "snow belt," either. It's in the South.

HOUSE # 2:

Designed by an architecture professor at a leading national university, this house incorporates every "green" feature current home construction can provide. The house contains only 4,000 square feet (4 bedrooms) and is nestled on arid high prairie in the American southwest. A central closet in the house holds geothermal heat pumps drawing ground water through pipes sunk 300 feet into the ground. The water (usually 67 degrees F) heats the house in winter and cools it in summer. The system uses no fossil fuels such as oil or natural gas, and it consumes 25% of the electricity required for a conventional heating/cooling system. Rainwater from the roof is collected and funneled into a 25,000 gallon underground cistern. Wastewater from showers, sinks and toilets goes into underground purifying tanks and then into the cistern. The collected water then irrigates the land surrounding the house. Flowers and shrubs native to the area blend the property into the surrounding rural landscape.

HOUSE # 1 (20 room energy guzzling mansion) is outside of Nashville, Tennessee. It is the abode of that renowned environmentalist (and filmmaker) Al Gore.

HOUSE # 2 (model eco-friendly house) is on a ranch near Crawford, Texas. Also known as "the Texas White House," it is the private residence of the President of the United States, George W. Bush.

Don't you love how the left is always telling us how to live, but never follows their own advice? The rules apply to everyone but them in their little utopia! :evil: