"Optimizing" Browning 71: is this a sin?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

"Optimizing" Browning 71: is this a sin?

Post by John in MS »

Hi, folks,
I'm in a bit of a quandary and would be curious to get your thoughts. I have a Win. 71 standard rifle that shoots reasonably well, and has most of its original blue, excellent wood and a minty Lyman 56 rear sight. The original owner installed a factory 71 Deluxe forend cap and rear sling swivel (properly inletted at the exact location on a real 71 Deluxe, and with the factory-style relief cut for the swivel, etc.) Naturally, it operates slick as glass and retains its steel buttplate.

Then, theres' my near-mint Browning 71 Carbine, which shoots under 2" at 100 with no load development, and who knows how well if I get started really tuning loads and maybe doing a little accuracy work to the forend, etc. Not quite as slick as the Winchester, but boy, does it shoot!! I hate to admit it, but the recoil of these rifles off the bench is not a lot of fun, so working up loads isn't either. I also would like to shoot my 71's a lot offhand and in field positions for practice.

I'm planning to work on adjusting my bench position to reduce the effect of recoil. However, I am also thinking the Browning would be a great candidate for a Limbsaver recoil pad, plus shortening the length of pull about 1/2" under factory length (including the pad) to make it easier to operate the lever from the shoulder. Right now, it also has a minty Lyman 56 sight on it, but I just picked up a Williams FP which might replace it. It's a handsome, traditional rifle as it is, but I'm thinking hard about improvements... Am thinking a fire-sight front sight might be a good option as it is a deep woods hunting rifle, although I might experiment with a Sourdough front also.

There's no way I'm going to alter the Win. 71. However, is it a sin to do the above modifications to the Browning, given that so few of them were built and it is a traditional lever gun? I would enjoy shooting it a lot more with the recoil pad and corrected length of pull (vs. just putting on a slip-on pad over the full-length buttstock.) Still, it's hard to commit to permanently altering it...
Any thoughts?
John
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

John, did the previous owner tell you that he installed the deluxe cap and rear swivel attachment? The reason I am asking is that my 71 standard was purchased new by the original owner, complete with swivel attachments and sling.

Mike D.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I personally prefer a Kick-eeze pad to the Limbsaver. In my independent testing the Kick-eeze worked a little better and I think it had a cleaner look since it doesn't have the "lines" that the Limbsaver features. I would not hesitate to put one on your gun and make it more pleasant.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Whereas I agree with you about the original Winchester M71, I just don't see the Browning copies as having that same... inviolate nature. I have a 1886 Browning rifle, that is just as it was received from the factory, with the only changes being it's no longer "unfired". However, there isn't anything that I really want to do to the gun. I like the factory sights, so have no need to do anything.

I don't see my changing something, (adding tang sight or changing the stock to accept a recoil pad) would ruin any potential collector value, since there's not much anyway. And doing a quality job on either wouldn't detract much from its current value either. Although it might narrow the potential market.

Edit: PS: John, BTW, did you get the video, and the pics of the changes I have planned to the 1851?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Thanks for the thoughts, folks! Mike, the previous owner of the Winchester is presently swapping hunting stories with Jeff Cooper and having a blast in the fields that stretch on forever, or so I hope. He kept the rifle immaculately clean, and took good care of it while using it enough that it got that nice patch of worn-white metal at the carry point of the receiver. While he's not available to ask questions of, I can see enough differences in the rear sling swivel installation that I am sure it is not factory. Very nice, but not factory.

Griff, yes, I did get the video and photos -- thanks! I had sent you an email, but apparently it didn't make it.

Thanks again,
John
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

I'm in the same boat as you with respect to the Browning carbine, although I plan to get a Boyd's butt stock and fore-end to do some modification (recoil pad, sling swivels, etc.) among the modifications I'll do.

As for the front sling swivel - I'm still thinking which way to go - either getting one of those Uncle Mike's combination sling swivels that clamps on to the magazine and barrel, or get my gunsmith to do a neat job putting one in the fore-end cap. If one wants to leave the original fore-end cap pristine, get a second one from Browning or other gun parts supplier and use that for modifications.

As for sights, I'll be putting a Lyman 66WB on it and removing the front sight hood. A green Williams firesight front sight is a great idea, but will be experimenting to see what works best for me.

Is it a sin to do this to a Browning? No. The approach I've outlined doesn't permanently alter the carbine at all or not significantly and how much money you want to put into the modifications.
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Thanks much for the good ideas! I can't see buying new wood for it -- it's not THAT valuable, and having it properly inletted would cost a significant chunk of the rifle's value. (I'm a freak for having good, close-fitting inletting on my rifles... can't help it...) It's very much beginning to sound like the B71 needs to become the ULTIMATE B71, particularly in view of its accuracy. This one has great wood finish -- looks very much like Winchester's prewar finish as used on the Deluxe's, not the uber-shiny plasticky stuff. It's a very handsome piece and very well made. I will enjoy shooting the heck out of it with cast bullets, etc. As I learn anything significant about sights, etc., I will keep the board posted.

Thanks again,
John
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Here's my answer to the recoil pad question. This is the M71 that goes afield with me and has been shot from the bench quite a bit. It is set up to work:

If you use it, shoot, enjoy it, then by golly make it work for YOU. My Decelerator pad makes bench sessions WAY more enjoyable and it was well worth it IMO. No wood was cut and I can replace the steel butt anytime, this only works if you are tall enough to handle the addtional LOP.

Sights: I too am contemplating a fiber optic on my M71, but I haven't got around to trying it out yet. I have changed to a fine bead that's up a bit higher that original. I like the look (and sight picture) of the hooded front site, so the fiber optic may never happen. But again...if it make the rifle shoot better, do it!!

Slings: if you don't want to mess with the wood and want something a bit different, you could think about one of Lever's pieces. This one is on my 1895:

Lots of options, but I believe the gun should be made to work for the shooter no matter what.

Good luck John.
Chad
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

71 Fan, Thanks very much for the thoughts, ideas and photos!!

I like your treatment of the recoil pad that allows restoring the original buttplate, and if I were doing this to an original Winchester, that would probably be the route I would take, and just put up with the extra length of pull. However, on the Browning, I will go ahead and cut the wood and adjust LOP a bit shorter than factory to fit me best.

On the fiber optic sight, someone makes a hood which is open on top to admit light, but which still has a full arch covering the front/rear of the bead to provide protection from knocks, etc. It should give some protection and also the sight picture you like. I have thought about just altering my Browning hood along those lines, if I like the fiber optic front sight, as I don't know how the factory-made one would fit on this rifle.

I have admired Lever's work for quite some time now, and will probably get at least one of his custom covers. The sling setup is great to avoid permanent sling swivel installation. However, missing a 20-yard chance at a really NICE, large buck that I could have killed easily if I'd had my rifle in my hand has caused me to only have a sling on my rifle when negotiating rough terrain or carrying things (i.e., deer.) Thus, for me, the QD feature is essential, as I pretty much keep the sling OFF the rifle unless I have a real reason to put it on, and otherwise it lives in a pocket of my hunting clothes. (USGI M16 black sling works well for this as it's very compact, durable, inexpensive, lightweight and quiet.)

Thanks again -- I appreciate the help! Those are some very nice rifles you have!

John