OT-Coydogs?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

OT-Coydogs?

Post by 1886 »

Travis's post got me thinking. I frequently heard of coydogs as a teenager. They were supposedly a coyote/dog mix due to interbreeding. I never gave it a thought until just recently because we had lots of wild dogs running about and the idea seemed reasonable enough to me. I was told by a warden that a coydog is a myth, they do not interbreed and a pack of coyotes would eagerly kill and eat any domestic dog unlucky enough to get caught. I do not know about the genetic compatibility of dogs and coyotes, it seems reasonable being cannids(sp?) but I do believe coyotes will kill and eat anything they can subdue. Any Thoughts? 1886.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT-Coydogs?

Post by Rusty »

Never say never... never is a long time.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I never say never but what about the coydog? Thanks, 1886.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Absolutely there are coydogs. I have killed more than one. I fear coydogs a lot more than coyotes. A large Coydog has no fear of humans a coyote does. I can think of only a few times that coyotes , in a pack, have shown any agression towards a grown man. I started carrying a Colt SAA because of a meet-up with a coydog. It was part German Shepard and part coyote. He was hungry and had stalked me through some tough core land. When I got to my truck and retrieved my 30-30 I decided to confront him. He saw me and started growling and slowly walking towards me. Needless to say he did not make it. I took him to the ranger office and they confirmed he was a coydog. They weighed him in at 71 pounds. I don't know much about their breeding habits but I think it is mostly male coyotes breeding female dogs. Some of you other members may know a lot more about their habits. I killed one on my lease that weighed 55 pounds.
"That'll Be The Day"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

rangerider7 wrote:...I don't know much about their breeding habits but I think it is mostly male coyotes breeding female dogs...
Makes sense... A bitch in heat will shut off a dog's brain (coy, wolf, dog, whatever) from all other thoughts quicker than about anything...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

In yours & my neck of the woods, (NH) several old-timers I have spoken with consider our coyotes coydogs. I believe they do so because of their size. The eastern coyote is supposed to be the biggest of the bunch. Recent genetic tests have shown that our coyotes are a mix with the long gone Red Wolf, which I would guess accounts for their size.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I have had them as pets/partners.
Absolutly loyal/ fight to the death for you.
Intelligent, not even a Mescalero can sneek up on you.
OI, I have observed the behavior you decribed in homo sapiens.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

mescalero1 wrote:...OI, I have observed the behavior you decribed in homo sapiens.
Well yes... as well as in any other critter with a testerone analogue... :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

:lol:
Hecter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hecter »

An old timer that I knew used dogs for coyotes for about 30 years. He told me coydogs did exist. This happened because male dogs would breed with female coyotes. He always told me that a male coyote was built wrong to breed a female dog. These critters were bigger than coyotes and more aggresive. I'm going to take his word for it.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Many of the coyotes we see around here are probably not coydogs, but from what I understand some of the bigger ones might be, and I have killed a couple of pretty good sized ones that were mostly black, and I was told that if you see a black one, it's a coydog.

Just a few weeks ago, I was sitting in my upstairs den, watching TV, while waiting for a phone line repairman to arrive, and all of sudden I heard a coyote howl. This was at 10:00am in the morning. I have heard coyotes howl at daylight but not at 10:00 in the morning. I stepped out on the deck and spotted this fairly large coyote in the field with my cattle, and there were three baby calves within 50 yds of him. Then I saw him laydown in the field.

This seemed weird to me. At any rate, I decided to shoot him, so I went and got my newer AR-15 with a scope on it, and slipped back onto the deck. He was still laying down, but I could not shoot because there was a cow behind him, and I was afraid of a ricochee possibly hitting the cow. But my problem was solved very soon as he got nervious and got up and started trotting towards the timber.

I caught him right behind the foreleg, as best I could tell, but he took off running, and I shot at him 3 or 4 more times before he got to the timber. I could see through the scope a big blood spotch right were I should have hit him on the first shot, but after examining my magazine, I believe I probably had a mix of softpoint and military ball ammo in the gun, and must have hit him with the ball ammo. I am sure I killed him but I never found him. I found a lot of blood and some guts wraped around a small sapling in two places, but I thing he must have went into a hole, even though I saw no blood at the hole. I think I probably gut shot him on one of the later shots.

I should have grabbed my 25-06 model 70 or my .308 BLR, and I would have anchored him in the field, or at least had the right ammo in the AR, but I grabbed it in a hurry. At any rate I think he was staking out a calf, as I had a fresh born right there on the ground, not far from him. I believe he might have been a coydog as he was pretty big and tall for a coyote, but plainly had coyote features, and a coyote howl.
NRA Life Member, Patron
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

They make good partners.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I don't know about the reality of coydogs, but I do know this, I used to hunt western coyotes on a regular basis. As a rule they are a bit smallish, not tiny, but not as big as most medium sized dogs I've owned. Run maybe 25-50lbs. They tend to be timid around humans, and most will run at the sight of a man. Used to hunt them around the county dump when I was in the service.

During that period I occassionally was called to stand duty at the enlisted barracks. I used to stand on the upper decks late at night and watch the coyotes come down from the hills to rummage around the dumpsters. The coyotes that frequented the base were different than the ones that hung around the dump. They were MUCH bigger and weren't much imitidated by a human presence. I walked right up to one once, and he spent as much time looking me over as I did him. I'd bet money that some of these coyotes were pushing 80+ lbs. Desert coyotes just don't get that big, and by all physical apperance except for the unusual size, these WERE coyotes.

I always just assumed that they were the offspring of interbreeding between coyotes and stray dogs from around the base.

:|
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Thanks for the replies. It certainly seems they do exist. Their size and lack of timidity around humans tells me that I have had two confrontations with a pack of coydogs. Both times they were hair raising experiences. Primal fear is a powerful thing. It took me a couple of days to "come down" from those encounters. 1886.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

What part of the country would that have taken place in?
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

A few months ago I was on the way to Ricky's and I saw what appeared to be a coyote. As I got closer I saw what resembled a coyote in every way -except it was jet black. Ricky said it was probably a coy-dog. I had heard of such critters but that was my one and only encounter.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

mescalero1 wrote:What part of the country would that have taken place in?
First time as a kid bird hunting in south central Jersey in the pine barrens( were the Jersey devil is rumored to frequent) and the second time in my driveway in N.H. The first encounter resulted in shots fired. I believe the animals meant me harm as they treed me and showed no signs of backing off. Stories of feral dogs and coydogs were very common in that part of the world. Many tourists would "loose" dogs while vacationing. It was felt the dogs would turn wild and or interbreed with the resident coyotes. They were larger animals and exhibited little fear of humans. Other hunters and outdoor types had similar stories. The second encounter was not as scary. I ran them off with a good, loud, war cry charge with a shovel. During the second encounter, only one dog meant business. The other two or three seemed to be just running with the pack. I was able to intimidate the lead dog enough to get him to reluctantly back down. I think he "knew" he had no back up. The remaining dogs had no stomach for a fight. The second group reminded me of a group of rowdy teenagers, one determined leader and a bunch of "hangers on". The determination of the leader was something that I will not soon forget. 1886.