Sighting in a 30-30 Win 94 Trapper from 12.5 yards.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Sighting in a 30-30 Win 94 Trapper from 12.5 yards.

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Over the years I have always sighted in my rifles starting at 25 yards with scope or open sights. A friend told me to sight dead on at 12.5 yards because it's easy to get it dead on perfect and then it would be on at 25 and 50 yards as well.
I tried it with my Trapper and Ghost Ring sights and 170gr. SPRN Federal 30-30 shells and I ended up shooting 10 rounds inside a nickle but just a little to the right. I moved the rear sight to the left just one turn of the screw and tried it at 25 yards. 5 rounds inside a quarter and and 1" higher , this was with a half assed bench rest off the back porch of my shop work shop. Then I tried it at 50 yards just to see what would happen. I was 1.5" to the right and 2+" high and all in a quarter again except for one flier. I'll try 100 yards tomorrow and see what happens.
I like this 12.5 yards for dead zero. I like to carry this gun with me in these mountains and rattlers and copperheads are bad around here. Close shots right on are great! I just keep my sights so that bullet impact is right on top of the front sight. Mike
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Mike,

Sighting in at 12.5 yards sounds like an easy way to get it lined up. For one good reason, you can see the target clearer. At least I know I can. I'll try this with my 1894 Cowboy next time I hit the range.

When reading your text I noticed your Trapper started out shooting to the right, then was centered, then back to the right. Do you think this is because of your rickety bench or just the way the Trapper is shooting?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mike,
I'm in Florida now but came from Wyoming county. where are you?

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

This makes a lot of sense. I'm going to have to give this a whirl. Only fault I can see is that any error up close gets magnified with distance. Still, sounds like you are right on track! :D
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

The reason I think it was moving left and right a little is because it was really cold here today and I had the shakes just a little. Also the rest was not a really good one. Just home made and uses a sand bag to steady the stock or rear.
The thing I like about the close range shooting is that you can really zero in that rifle! I'm 62 and my eyes are not great up close (Reading Glasses Time) but I can see a mouse at 100 yards. ..........Well, that may be exaggerating just a little :oops: Anyway the 12.5 is just right for me to see very clear on the target.
That's one of the reasons I bought the Ghost ring sights , they work great with my eyes and they are really fast to get on target.
Rusty, I'm in Clay county ( 50 miles south east of Charleston) and in a little place called Valley Fork. Just my wife and I living all alone on top of this big old mountain with the Bear, Deer, Bob-Cats, Coyotes and a few Bore. It gets a little lonesome sometimes but we love it! Mike