.307 and Barnes X

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

.307 and Barnes X

Post by xxclaro »

Has anyone loaded the 150gr Barnes X FP in the .307 Winchester? Curious as to the performance and velocity that this bullet would give in this cartridge,as it seems to work well in the 30-30. I haven't seen much load data on it,but it seems one should be able to achieve good speed with it.It is expensive,but maybe worth buying a box for hunting?
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

btt Good to see you here xxclaro!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Welcome some one will be along that knows the answer. In the mean time grab some coffee and enjoy the fire.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I have loaded quite a few of the old style smooth sided 150-grain Barnes X in the .307 Winchester and the .30-30AI. I have posted quite a bit of this on the Beartooth forum so I won’t bore you with repetition here.
In general I can say the 150-grain Barnes-X is tied with the Speer 130-grain flat nose bullet for best accuracy in my rifles. I believe the Barnes is far more accurate than I am in the .307 Winchester.
I have taken several meat deer with the bullet and have not recovered one. In general the Barnes bullet does not seem to leave as much blood shot meat on the close shots and appears to penetrate a little better than the 170-grain bullets. I cannot do it every time but when shooting certain loads in the .307 and .30-30AI using the 130-grain Speer or the 150-grain Barnes X I have the confidence to say: “Watch this…â€
Slim
xxclaro
Levergunner 1.0

Post by xxclaro »

Thanks William. Figured if anyone would know,it'd be you. Let us know when you get a chance to test the TSX,should be interesting.
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

I certainly enjoy loading for and shooting the .307 Winchester. With Winchester gone the .308 Marlin Express, while not quite a friendly to reload due to the lower pressure restriction and the generous case capacity, is a good substitute.
I intend to try the new TSX side by side in the .307 and the .308ME later this winter and I’ll post the results in Snow’s thread.

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=37467
Slim