New 375 Marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

New 375 Marlin

Post by azoil »

Well new to me anyway. I bought this from a member of another forum. It is a little rougher than I expected but tight nonetheless. I disassembled it yesterday and cleaned it up. there was just a tiny bit of surface rust on the inside which came off very easily.

As you can see from the pictures, it has spots of suface rust in various places. These pictures were taken prior to cleaning it. Anyway, I am considering having it refinished. I thought I would do the stock myself and send it out for the metal work. Can anyone make a recommendation for a gunsmith to do the metal work? One you have experience with.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Gosh, and I thought mine was in rough shape. That's not as bad as some I've seen. I haven't used them, but I'm planning on having http://www.classicgunsinc.com do the metal work on the projects I'm working on. They were recommended to me by another gunsmith who sends them his long guns refinishing.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Thanks for the advice Griff. I don't think I would have paid what I did for it had I seen the pics I had taken. However, I have it now and the bore looks very good, so...........

I have emailed a number of smiths with pics of the gun for advice and quotes. So far Regan Nonneman souds pretty good. I will check out the link you posted. Thanks again.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I have always used Kirk Merrington in Kerrville, TX for all metal work and blackening. He is a perfectionist, excellent turn-around time and good prices. Because I have stuck with him for so long I don't have first hand experience with anyone else.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

86er wrote:I have always used Kirk Merrington in Kerrville, TX for all metal work and blackening. He is a perfectionist, excellent turn-around time and good prices. Because I have stuck with him for so long I don't have first hand experience with anyone else.
Joe, do you have his contact info? Thanks, Dave
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

(830) 367-2937 - Workshop

207 SIERRA ROAD
KERRVILLE, TX 78028

You will probably have to take apart the gun and send only the metal you want done. Kirk, like me, is and English trained shotgun maker. However, he can polish and blacken just about anything. It can't hurt to ask him.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

ok, will do. Thanks for the info. :D
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

Azoil, I bought one of these at the gunshow last weekend, but I resold it the same morning that I bought it. I didn't even cut the zip loc tie on the lever to try the action. Mine had spots where the blue was worn off, but the blue that was there wasn't speckled with rust. The wood on yours in nicer. Mine showed fading, and spots where the varnish was rubbed off. I also didn't know how hard it would be to find reloading components or ammo for it. I noticed as I was carrying it that it felt very natural in my hand. I'll go by Sportsman's Warehouse later today, and if they have brass or ammo I think I'll have to cry. I did the same thing with a nice Marlin in 35 Remington about 5 years ago. I should have kept that one for sure, or at least brought it over to my Dad's house to show him.

Otherwise, mine was missing the 4 filler screws for the scope mounts just like yours, and I bought an elevator for the rear sight for the one I had too. They must have been good shooters if guys bothered to put scopes on them. How does your rifle shoot?
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Azoil
Have you considered sending it back to Marlin? I have 1 of these, great rifle's.
Karl
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

marlin shooter wrote:Azoil
Have you considered sending it back to Marlin? I have 1 of these, great rifle's.
Karl
My thoughts exactly. 1886.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Karl
+2

I'll bet they'd make it look new for you, for a reasonable price too.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Karl
+3

I think they refinish wood too but aint sure. If they wont I'd send it naked & do the wood while they had it.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Guys,

Send it to Marlin is just what I did. This is a post from last year when I bought this rifle. I sent it to Marlin "naked" with the intent of re doing the stocks myself. That wasn't necessary because when Marlin returned the rifle to me, it was complete and beautiful. If the serial number wasn't the same, you would think it was a different rifle. Take a look.......... :shock: :D

What do you guys think??

Marlin did a fabulous job!!
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Now it is wearing a 2-7 Leupold and has a WWG Happy Trigger installed.

Currently I am working on a load for it with 38-55 Brass and the Hornady 220 gr. FN. If it pans out, I'll be taking it on my Spring Bear hunt in AZ.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Now that was a dirty trick! :P

But, yes, they did A swell job! :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Well now that did not take long. Looks super. 1886.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

:lol: :lol:

Sorry 'bout that guys! I was surprised to see a post to this thread to be honest. But, what the heck, I like showing off the purdy thang!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Thats what I was going to suggest also. :D Marlin replaces all the screws also and for a very cheep price. :wink: :wink: :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

All that and I was going to say that I would have cleaned it up, replaced the filler screws, mounted a Williams Foolproof 94/36, gotten some ammo and gone hunting. It does look nice.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

What a beauty now! That says a lot about that company.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I gotta start checking the original post date on these threads.

Marlin made a silk purse out of a sows ear for sure. Beautiful.

But I'm with Hobie on this one. I don't think you could hurt it any more like it was, and it would have made a heck of a hunting - boonies gun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

azoil,
Gosh, now it almost looks TOO nice to take out to the woods. Do you mind tellin' what it ran?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Griff wrote:azoil,
Gosh, now it almost looks TOO nice to take out to the woods. Do you mind tellin' what it ran?
Griff,

I thought that too when I first got it back. However, after thinking about it, I figured it is no different then buying a new one off the shelf right now. The only difference is that I can't buy a NIB 375 for what I have in this one and this one doesn't have the CBS to boot.

I shipped it to Marlin and the work and the return shipping was an additional $140. I think that was a smokin' deal. :wink:

A NIB XLR costs as much or more than this rifle cost me when it was said and done.

Now I just need to kill something with it. :D
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Last year I bought an 1894 in 44 mag brand new, had to send it back to Marlin to get almost the same amount of work done to it just to get so you could hold it without the stock falling off. They not only fix up old guns, they have to overhaul some of their new ones too!!!. Nice 375
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Billy Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Billy Boy »

Azoil,
Are you saying that Marlin did all that work for $140?
Who did the wood? It looks brand new! Or is that just a new stock set? Either way, it's gorgeous!
Great work! I just got a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge back from my smith after having it cut to my wife's LOP and a Limbsaver put on it. I now want to strip it and refinish the wood. Hence my question about the refinishing of your stock.
BB

:wink:
You can get alot further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone!
Al Capone
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Post by Scoutmaster »

azoil,
It looks great. I have to thank you for posting it as I'll now be looking for Marlins in the used gun rack with your rifle in mind.
Don
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Billy Boy wrote:Azoil,
Are you saying that Marlin did all that work for $140?
Who did the wood? It looks brand new! Or is that just a new stock set? Either way, it's gorgeous!
Great work! I just got a Remington 1100 in 20 gauge back from my smith after having it cut to my wife's LOP and a Limbsaver put on it. I now want to strip it and refinish the wood. Hence my question about the refinishing of your stock.
BB

:wink:
BB,
Yes, they did. cost me about $20 to ship it to them insured, so figure $160 done deal. Yes, they fitted and installed the stocks on it for test firing and apparently just left them on it. I would imagine they just don't allow a rifle to leave there that isn't fully functional. I would think for liability issues.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Scoutmaster wrote:azoil,
It looks great. I have to thank you for posting it as I'll now be looking for Marlins in the used gun rack with your rifle in mind.
Don
Don,
I agree. The only thing you gotta be sure of is that you don't pay too much for a used one, that when it is complete you have more in it then one that was in better condition to start with. :wink:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Very nice indeed. I like the new wood they put on the rifle too -- better than the old un-checkered wood and slimmer forearm.

Gotta go along with what Hobie said too. It would have made a heck of a shooter just the way it was when you first got it.

Enjoy.
ED
Yer never too old
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Post by Scoutmaster »

I always looked for bargain rifles with buggered up wood and good bluing. I can't do the bluing, but the wood is easy enough. Now I'll consider them no matter how the bluing looks.
Don
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

You did great.....those old 375 Win(ners) are fantastic guns.

You know when you compare the ballistics of the modern 375 Winchester cartridge to the black powder loadings that made the 375 H&H magnum famous there is an eerie similarity!

Wm