OT:Photo- Samuel L. Hart- Gunsmith-Tombstone Ariz.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT:Photo- Samuel L. Hart- Gunsmith-Tombstone Ariz.

Post by rangerider7 »

I sure would have liked to be a fly on the wall in his gun shop during the 1880s!
Samuel L. Hart was born at Solon, Courtland County N.Y. , a gunsmith, machinist and manufacture who held several patents, enlisted in the 10th Wisconsin Infantry in August 1861, commissioned 2d lieutenant; he re-enlisted in the 41st Wisconsin Infantry in June, 1864 , in which he was commissioned Captain; an assistant signal-officer for the 4th Division Army of the Tennessee; seeing action in several battle's including at Pittsburg Landing , during the Siege of Corinth and Forrest's Raid into Memphis , where under the orders of General Nelson, Capt. Hart crossed the river at Pittsburg. He landed under heavy fire, as bearer of dispatches to General Buell, whom he found on the field, signaled Gen. Buell's orders across the river back to his commander. Captain Hart was finally discharged in October of 1864 returning to his home in Appleton, Wisconsin.
Like so many other veterans, Hart decided to head west to seek his fortune, settling with his young wife, Jane, daughter Minnie and three sons in the boomtown of Tombstone, Arizona Territory where he set up his Hart's Gun Shop on Fremont Street in the early 1880's, located just a short distance from the famous Fly Photography studio and right next door to the O.K. Corral. Hart was a highly regarded and skilled gunsmith (The Territories only). Spangenberg's Gun Shop sold guns, however they did not repair or make them, thus S.L. was entrusted with both basic repairs as well as also sought out for his special colt pistols. Some of Hart's more notable clients were Wyatt Earp , Doc Holiday , Ike Clanton and Buckskin Frank Leslie . Leslie's own famous 10" long barreled Colt "Buntline" was in fact a Colt factory model S.A.A. 45 in which S.L. Hart specially ordered.

On Oct. 26th of 1881 Samuel Hart, while working in his store would be one of the relatively few witnesses to the streetfight that made Tombstone and the Earp's famous. Historical records indicate Mayor Clum made a very unusual exception just two days later on the 28th, when issuing Hart a rare permit to carry a loaded firearm within town limits was granted (something strictly forbidden except for lawmen).

"That'll Be The Day"
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT:Photo- Samuel L. Hart- Gunsmith-Tombstone Ariz.

Post by kimwcook »

How cool is that. Thanks, rider.
Old Law Dawg
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Thanks for a fascinating post, range rider!

Tha late Captain Hart's life certainly wasn't boring. I agree - there
must have been some fascinating conversations in that shop, eh?

-Stretch
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Very interesting read and photo. Thanks for posting.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Thanks. That was great.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Hmmm,

I might be related, my grandmother's maiden name was Hart (going back to Johnathon Hart who signed the Declaration) and she lived in Phoenix.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

bsaride, might be. It would be worth looking into if it was me.
"That'll Be The Day"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another good one! :D
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Thanks, good picture and interesting story.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

rangerider7 wrote:bsaride, might be. It would be worth looking into if it was me.
No idea of how to go about it.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

bsaride, you might try a genealogy site online. Check to see if anybody in you family has already done the work. Start with your mother and go backwards as for as you can. Good luck!
"That'll Be The Day"
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'll never forget visiting G.F.Spangenberg's gun shop, Est 1880 and still going strong.
Nice to read a bit of history and see a photo of Samuel L.Hart.
Thanks for posting.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Very interesting, thanks for posting :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Tombstone
Levergunner

Post by Tombstone »

Really enjoyed the article on S. L. Hart...a freind just passed along the web site to us. Unfortunately, we weren't able to see the photo. We have a museum in Tombstone and were lucky enough to acquire a lot of S. L. Hart's personal artifacts, including several photos. Is there any way you can re-post the photo? For anyone out there who's interested, we have Wyatt Earp's leveraction shotgun, we can send you a photo, if you want to see it. It belongs to a freind of ours. Its neat that this site is named leveraction.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

KI6WZU
NRA member

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Thanks bsaride.
"That'll Be The Day"
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Very interesting. Thanks. 1886.
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

i've been to spangenbergers gun shop numerous times over the years.

thanks for more fill in history of a place i like to go to frequently.
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Tombstone
Levergunner

Post by Tombstone »

thanks for showing the photo....Since we own this exact photo, I'm curious...did you get it off of a brief listing on Ebay? Glad you could share the wonderful history of Hart to other enthusiasts.
Tombstone
Levergunner

Post by Tombstone »

Thought you guys would like to see a picture of Wyatt Earp's model 1887 Winchester leveraction 10 ga. shotgun - made in 1892. It belongs to a friend of mine. I am a complete amateur at this forum business...so if this is a duplicate posting - you'll know why!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Tombstone wrote:thanks for showing the photo....Since we own this exact photo, I'm curious...did you get it off of a brief listing on Ebay? Glad you could share the wonderful history of Hart to other enthusiasts.
If you are asking me, I got it off this post initially.
KI6WZU
NRA member

rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Yes it was on Ebay.
"That'll Be The Day"
jdm4ksu
Levergunner

Post by jdm4ksu »

Good evening!
I am the great-great-great niece of Samuel L. Hart. I am trying to plan a trip to Tombstone in October, and want to see as much info on him as I can. I definitely will go to spangenbergers gun shop and the museum, but do you know of any other places that might have pictures or articles? Is there anything left of his gun shop, or what stands in its place now?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the forum :D
As a British tourist I have only been to Tomestone once, coincidentally I'm wearing the Spangenbergers tee shirt I bought there as I write this :o .The folks at Spangenbergers were very friendly and I'm sure would tell you anything they know about Samuel L Hart. Good luck and enjoy your trip, I know I certainly did.

PS, rangerider7 has not posted here for a long time which is a pity, he had a great knowledge of the old West.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I bought a box of 12 gauge brass shotgun shells as a souvenir of Tombstone a few years back. Haven't shot any yet. Was at Spangenbergers. Seemed like the right thing to do. And a big Welcome to you, jdm4ksu!
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Welcome to the forum, jdm4ksu !

It appears that you have good genes (and I don't mean pants ;) )

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

jdm4ksu wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 10:50 pm Good evening!
I am the great-great-great niece of Samuel L. Hart.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Well, you can start by telling me how many and what kind of original guns that you may have from good ole Sammy Hart. Then we can talk about marriage plans. :D ----6
Model A Uzi’s
jdm4ksu
Levergunner

Post by jdm4ksu »

Well, since the reason for my trip is to celebrate 25 years of marriage, with a side trip to gather family info, marriage proposals would not be a good idea even if I did have any of Samuel's guns! To my knowledge, none of my family members have any of his guns - I know we all wish we did!

I do share the sentiment on my family heritage! My cousin has written some books about Samuel's sister and her husband - my great-great grandparents. The older I get, the more I value this knowledge, so I am looking forward to the trip to see what else I can find out!

I have a few names of people to contact from the Tombstone Chamber of Commerce, so plan on making those contacts.

Thanks for the responses!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Howdy, and Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your trip and research. I've only been to Tombstone once, for a day. Not nearly enough time to take it in.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Thank You for posting about this. We have been to Tombstone twice and the Old Courthouse is a favorite place of Mine to See . If the walls could talk. the history of the town and area is amazing. Good luck and keep Us updated.