OT - Cylinder for Single Six

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

OT - Cylinder for Single Six

Post by salvo »

My first handgun I ever bought myself was a brand new stainless Ruger Single Six in 1981. Shortly after I bought it I lost the Mag cylinder on a target shooting trip in the Saddle Back Mountains of S. Cal. and have been looking for a replacement ever since.
I finally decided I would give Gunbroker a try, never have done the auction thing before.
I found a stainless .22Mag cylinder on Gunbroker. The opening bid was $50.00 and it looked like new so I bid the 50, no one else bid on it so I won.
Luckily it was longer than the cylinder window in my Single Six and I was able to fit it perfectly, going to test her out next weekend. I sure hope it is as accurate as I remember it was back in 81 with Magnums.

The little Ruger cleans up nicely :D
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

We used to go shooting up there when I was a kid.
Glad you found the cylinder cant wait for the range report.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Scott,

As long as the chamber to bore alinement, and barrel cylinder gap is good you should be good to go.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

beautiful. I have been searching for just the right single six at just the right price. I think it would get a lot of use through out the year.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Joe, the gap measures right at .002 and looking down the barrel with one of those fiber optic mag light attachments it looks like every chamber lines up spot on. It has the normal side to side play but no front to back at all. It actually fits better than the .22LR cylinder.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

salvo wrote:Joe, the gap measures right at .002 and looking down the barrel with one of those fiber optic mag light attachments it looks like every chamber lines up spot on. It has the normal side to side play but no front to back at all. It actually fits better than the .22LR cylinder.
That should do it then. Might have to keep the B/C gap clean but that's not hard.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I think the ol Single Six needs to be treated to a new set of grips, they never fit real well and over the years here in the desert air I think they have even shrunk a bit :?
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

That's a pretty little shooter there.

So long as the cylinders line up, you should be good.
The only thing I've ever heard was that the last 4 of the serial numbers and the cylinder numbers have to match up for a reason: the indexer and the cylinder have been set by the factory to line up.

If it doesn't line up, a gunsmith can adjust the indexer, I believe.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats Scott! Looking forward to the range post as well!!! :D