Need Marlin 444s tuneup recommendations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Seabreeze133
Levergunner

Need Marlin 444s tuneup recommendations

Post by Seabreeze133 »

Anyone care to recommend a smith in the las vegas area that is competant to tune up/slick the action on my 444s? Nothing wrong at this point but thought it might be smart to address some of the issues I read about such as the "Dreaded Marlin Jamb" before I wander afield w/my new grandson-son-in-law in search of Mr. Hog. Arkansas type.

Thanks

Don
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Recommendation for SB

Post by LeverBob »

Howdy SB! Your best bet is to PM Salvo, he's in Vegas & as savvy a levergunner as you will ever find. A true brother. Contact him & he'll put you onto the best smiths in the area...you might evern meet up with him, which woud be terrific for you.

LeverBob
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Seabreeze133,

Welcome to the forum.

We've recently hashed "The Dreaded Marlin Jam" over pretty good lately. Go back a half dozen pages and you'll find it.

For the most part, although it happens, (Marlin calls it "Letting in two"), it happens mostly to cas guns and the 1894s. It's not something to be worried about.

And the best way to smooth up a rifle that has nothing wrong with it, it to go shoot it. A lot.

If you'll go to our home page: http://www.leverguns.com/ and look down the column on the right side, you'll find a section called "ARTICLES" and one called "MARLIN RESOURCES". You'll find tons of information and some really great articles about Marlins in there.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I seriously doubt if you'll have any issues with jamming in your 444. It's just not been a problem in that caliber and model.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Hi Seabreeze133, welcome to the fire.
Like Joe said, nothing to worry about unless your actually having problems. If you do need help with it though give me a PM and I'm sure we can straighten it out.
LeverBob, thanks for the kind words, you better watch yourself, people might start thinking your a nice guy :twisted:
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
nralover
Levergunner 2.0

Post by nralover »

My old 336 in .35 Remington suffered from it...
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

While we're on the subject of tuning the T4, can someone explain why Marlin sends them out the door with so much slack in the trigger. I'd bet mine flops for a 1/4" before it begins to let the sear move.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

It's a two piece trigger/sear setup, which means that if the trigger didn't "flop" around, it would need a trigger spring to hold tension. A trigger spring would just add weight to the trigger pull. Would that be better?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

Trigger pull on my T4 sure doesn't need to be heavier.