Politics: USAToday Poll On 2nd Amendment

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Politics: USAToday Poll On 2nd Amendment

Post by Griff »

Vote Today on USA Today For the Right To Bear Arms

Pass on to those who believe the 2nd Amendment means that individuals have the right to bear arms.

Begin forwarded message:
Subject: FW: Vote Today on USA Today For the Right To Bear Arms

Vote Today on USA Today For the Right To Bear Arms

Hi All,
Please vote this gun issue question with USA Today. It will only take a few seconds of your time. Then pass the link on to all the pro gun folks you know. Hopefully these results will be published later this month. This upcoming year will become critical for gun owners with the Supreme Court accepting the District of Columbia case against the right for individuals to bear arms

First - vote on this one.
Second - launch it to all the pro-gun folks and have THEM vote - then we will see if the results get published.

To vote in the USA Today poll, click on the link below.
Does the Second Amendment give individuals the right to bear arms?

Vote here: http://www.usatoday.com/news/quickquest ... up5895.htm
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

It reads like a trick question.

The Second Ammendment doesn't 'give' us anything, it only affirms like what we already have.

I'm afraid too vote. How will this be spun?

Advice?? Should I go ahead and vote anyway?
tatume
Levergunner

Re: USAToday Poll On 2nd Amendment

Post by tatume »

Everyone here should be aware that the correct answer is "no." The Second Amendment does not give a right, it instructs the government not to infringe upon the right.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Cutter, you are right. Their wording is wrong. However I voted yes anyway only because it's not the answer they want. So did 97% of those voting.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AmBraCol
Webservant

Re: USAToday Poll On 2nd Amendment

Post by AmBraCol »

tatume wrote:
Everyone here should be aware that the correct answer is "no." The Second Amendment does not give a right, it instructs the government not to infringe upon the right.
The poll doesn't open on my machine, probably due to pop up blocker or ??? at any rate, I'm going to take a guess and say that although the CORRECT answer is "No" since the Bill of Rights bestows nothing, rather it merely recognizes pre-existing rights, yet for the purpose of the poll, in all likelihood the "right" answer would be "Yes" since they want to know if you think an individual has the right to possess, carry, transport and utilize firearms - or whether you think that the Second Amendment to the US Constitution provides only for some kind of "State Militia" to utilize firearms.

The person who put up the poll probably does NOT have an inkling about the bigger issues and so is probably phrasing the poll according to their limited understanding of the issue of rights and where they come from.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Undecided?

Post by Texican »

I'd just like to know who would take the time to answer an internet poll with 'undecided'.

How does that thought process work?
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I'm not answering. I'll write a letter to the editor, which is what we should all do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOgO-EiDh3w

CAUTION LANGUAGE

It's a long video, but watch closely.
otteray
Levergunner 2.0

Post by otteray »

It is a poorly phrased question.
But in this case, the second amendment rights activist's correct answer would be "yes;" whether you believe the right exists either from God, or through government.
otteray
Mojo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mojo »

Okay, here is another spin. I think the key word in the question is "individuals" not "give" since the the Supreme Court has decided to interpret the meaning of "the right of the people to keep and bear arms" as being either individual ownership or those serving in a "well regulated militia". Remember, they are going to determine exactly who "the people" are as referred to in the 2nd Amendment.
If you can see the big picture, you are not focusing on your front sight.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

If the 2nd Amendment 'gives' us the right, then a new amendment can take it away.

How is this ," A recent poll show most americans believe the second ammendment can be repealed."
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

blah blah blah...

97% say that it is pertaining to an individual's right to keep and bear arms.

Fine.

I voted yes.

Not that polls mean anything, and I lovwe Penn and Teller's BS.
A great show.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Done! Thanks Griff.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I just voted and the results were 97% "Yes".
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Is this the one that was posted a bit ago? I must have already voted, as it would let me look at the results but not cast another vote.

I remember the first one - pinched my nose and voted "yes". As noted, the Second Amendment doesn't give us any rights - it simply acknowledges the right we were born with and restricts the government from infringing on it (which they ignore all the time). However, since the question was aimed more at the upcoming DC case going before the SCOTUS, and concerned the "individual rights" versus "collective rights" debate, I of course weighed in properly - along with every other right "of the people" outlined in the "Bill of Rights" - with the individual!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I couldnt vote either only could see the results.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

That's weird...

I voted three times.

Hmm...
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

cutter wrote:That's weird...

I voted three times.

Hmm...
SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! Act natural.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8