Marlin 1881???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Colt 1917
Levergunner

Marlin 1881???

Post by Colt 1917 »

I found a Marlin 1881 at the gunshow today. What got my attention was how clean it was. Blueing showed wear on end of barrel and mag tube. Wood was an A. Has a 28'' barrel and something if never seen on a lever gun , has factory double set triggers. How hot is that. It is a 45-70. Made me drull like a two month old. What I would like to know is it worth the 2600 price tag that is on it. My blue book is a 95 so not much help there. Thanks for any advice and hope all had a Merry Xmas. Colt 1917 :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My BB is the 28th edition, from 2003. It says a 95% would be $1800, and a 90% would be $1425. Add 15% for the .45-70, and add 200-300% if it is a "rare First model" (serial number below 600). Add even more (though it doesn't say what) for hand-engraved script barrel markings (first 60 rifles made).

Not sure what these have done over the last few years, but a price of $2600 (I'm assuming it is a 95% gun from your description) is somewhere between 5 and 10% value growth per year, which seems reasonable for such a gun over the last few years. If it is less than 95%, this price may be a bit high - but again, my BB is 4 years old.

Good luck - post some pictures if you get it! :D

Oh, and welcome aboard! :D :D :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Welcome to the Forum. Ain't got a clue, but thought I'd try this "polite" thing on for size tonite! :D
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Griff wrote:Welcome to the Forum. Ain't got a clue, but thought I'd try this "polite" thing on for size tonite! :D
Griff, you ain't foolin' noone! :wink:
Colt 1917
Levergunner

Post by Colt 1917 »

Thanks all. I don't know if I'am going back to the show today or not. Had a chance to sleep on it and still working on my first cup of 40 weight. Still the double set triggers are so alluring. Let you know what I decide to do.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Griff wrote:Welcome to the Forum. Ain't got a clue, but thought I'd try this "polite" thing on for size tonite! :D
Griff, you ain't foolin' noone! :wink:
Yes I am... me! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Knock it off Griff!!! Too much change too fast is discombobolating!!! Besides, why change now. :roll:
ED
Yer never too old
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

If the gun has not been rfinished, an 1881 with DST would be a huge bargain in that condition! The caliber is a good bonus, but the du=ouble sets are really nice! Ithink they made about 2500 of them with that DST option, so it's fairly rare.
If you're sure it's not refinished I'd jump on it!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Colt 1917
Levergunner

Post by Colt 1917 »

:( :x Went back today and found a friend who collects Marlins so we went over and looked the gun over. He showed me that it had been reblued and the wood had been refinised. Still a nice gun but not at that price. So all I got out of it was a good lesson. That in itself made it all worth while. Thanks again for your replies.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Even refinished it's worth $1500-$2,000, unless it's poorly done. If it's poorly done it' not worth what a no finish 1881 is worth.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/