It's gonna be a Marlin, but which one???

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

It's gonna be a Marlin, but which one???

Post by azmark »

I was having a hard enough time deciding whether I wanted a model 94 in .357, or one of the 336s in 30-30. Now I see that the 94 comes in 32-20 caliber, which I know almost nothing about, but of course it intrigues me.

Intended uses for said levergun are: 99% plinking and target shooting; the other 1% would be home defense against 2- and 4-legged predators. There's even been some talk with friends of hunting coyotes or even feral hogs. I can't get different guns for everything. Now I'm really confused.
Mark Dickinson
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

OF COURSE YOU CAN HAVE DIFFERENT GUNS FOR EVERYTHING !!! WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT TO DO SO ?? UNTIL YOU OWN ONE OF EVERY GUN IN EVERY CALIBER AND EVERY BARREL LENGTH YOU JUST AIN'T THERE YET SONNY BOY.
FURTHERMORE, THE ONLY REASON YOU NEED IS : " I AIN'T GOT ONE YET."
NOW GO FORTH AND BUY 'EM ALL. IT'S ONLY A PILE OF GREASY GREEN PAPER THAT'S ALL BUT WORTHLESS ANYWAYS; SPEND IT !!
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Mark,
Just an FYI, you can find the 1894 in 357, 44 mag, and 45 LC at the Big 5 Stores around AZ. They also have the 336 ('W' I think). I was just over there the other day at one of the Mesa stores and they had all 4 of them. The sale price is $379. Prices are likely to go up after the first of the year.

I think any of those would do what you want them to. :wink:
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Mark,

Terry makes a very good point! :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Buy one of each - and keep going! :D

The .32-20 intrigues me too - going to have to look into that myself!!! :wink:
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Seeing the 94 on sale at Big 5 is what got me. They have a store in Sierra Vista. The sale ended 2 days ago, though. Now the 94 is about $100 more than a 336.

Terry, you sound just like the voice in my head.
Mark Dickinson
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

They will be on sale again Mark. Also, you may see if they will still give you the sale price. One Manager told me they would honor the sale price if it wasn't past two weeks but that may have just been his policy. Worth a try though.

I wasn't sure if there was a Big 5 in SV or not.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I want a older presafety marlin in .35 rem..
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

That would work..but it is a bit spensive.
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Yep, that is what I thought as well.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Terry does make a good point but I bought one rifle because I only had one. 8)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

Now the voices are telling me not to forget about the Henry 22 mag.
Mark Dickinson
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

azmark, a 30-30 is a must have in the levergun world.with the ammo available today it is awsome. the 32-20 is a dream for the handloader it is accurate and inexpensive to feed. I bought a Marlin 32-20 last spring and it is one fine rifle. once you get one lever You will want more.
there is a screaming deal on Gunsamerica for a Marlin 32-20.please sombody here buy this as I have a new lever on the way and If I buy this 32-20 Momma ain't gonna understand.Jim.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/977003388/Gu ... _Style.htm
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

That reminds me...there's a shop here in Sierra Vista that has a Winchester Ranger 30-30 and the price tag says $329. I don't know if I can cough up the cash on short notice, but if anyone is near enough it seems like a good deal.
Mark Dickinson
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

how about this idea: 2 rifles for the price of one: something in .375 Winchester caliber.
The Winchester BigBore94 in that caliber can handle both .375 Winchester and .38-55 Winchester calibers.
I imagine a Marlin would do no less.

A great caliber for hog hunting.

Cheers,

Carl
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

A lever in .357, .44mag, or .45 colt sounds just about right. IMPO, the 32 is a bit light for hogs.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

.45colt wrote:azmark, a 30-30 is a must have in the levergun world.with the ammo available today it is awsome. the 32-20 is a dream for the handloader it is accurate and inexpensive to feed. I bought a Marlin 32-20 last spring and it is one fine rifle. once you get one lever You will want more.
there is a screaming deal on Gunsamerica for a Marlin 32-20.please sombody here buy this as I have a new lever on the way and If I buy this 32-20 Momma ain't gonna understand.Jim.
http://www.gunsamerica.com/977003388/Gu ... _Style.htm
I agree, if you are only gonna have one (until you get your first), I would go with the 30-30. Lotsa ammo available, and you can go from prarie dogs to elk with it. :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Personally I like the 336 better than the 94, I think it's a better design, and tougher, but they all shoot and you have to consider what caliber you want.

I started with the .357 Marlin. It's an ideal range gun and great plinker. The rifle rounds often knock swingers off, have more recoil, noise, and cost more. Hitting a milk jug with a .357 is more satisfying than the 30-30 because the .357 makes it explode whereas the 30-30 zips right through. And the .357 will certainly take coyotes. So if it's 99% range and plinking, and smaller game, that would be the one to get.

The main thing you would gain with the 30-30 is power for big game at distances beyond 125 yards.

The sale might be back on at the Big 5, I was just there Wednesday and got the $379.99 price, the "After Christmas Sale".
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I would choose the 357. It will give you a wide variety of ballistic choices from creampuff 38 Special loads to top 357 magnum loads. It is like two guns in one since it will fire two different cartridges.
The 32-20 is a good round, but not nearly as versatile and easy to load for as the 357.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

The Marlin's in .41 Mag are sweet little rifles too. The one I have is a blast (no pun intended) to shoot and the .41 is easy to load for.
Good deer and Hawg caliber too.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

big 5 store

Post by brucew44guns »

I wish they would open up a big 5 store near Abilene, Ks. Too many closed gun places around here anymore to look for bargains such as you guys talk about. We need rescuing bad.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

I've recently read about problems shooting .38s in the model 94. I read where some guys found a ring burned in the chamber from shooting .38 plinker loads. I guess normal pressure loads aren't a problem. Does anyone have any squib loads worked up with .357 brass? Something that won't fly very far if it ricochets? The neighbors aren't really very close, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Besides, a quiet plinking round would be nice.
Mark Dickinson
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

I would get a 30-30, it is a must unless your trying to get a rifle revolver combo. I remember you asking about a revolver awhile ago, did you find one that suits your needs.?
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Well for that matter, a 44 mag would serve your purpose well also - maybe better than the 357 since there is a chance of hunting hogs. The 44 can shoot Specials as well.

Do you or any of your buddies handload?
azmark
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azmark »

336A, I'm still up in the air on the revolver. My wife has a 3" Taurus model 66 so it's not like I don't have one available to use for now (except that it's not MINE). Having a combo is not really a priority for me, although I can see the utility in it. Said wife has run into a guy through work who says he'd like to go coyote hunting, so I'm thinking about making a rifle my next purchase instead of the handgun. I can legally hunt coyotes here with a .22 mag, and I like the Henry but thought a centerfire might be more versatile. I can just get another Lee Loader in 30-30 and I won't have to put much money into reloading. I already have one in .38 special and it works fine.
Mark Dickinson
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Mark,
If you go with a 30-30 you can also still get the Remington Accelerators (55gr 22 cal in sabot) as factory loads. They are seasonal runs and are a little pricey but they are an option. I have seen them recently at both Cabelas in Glendale and The Sportsmans Warehouse in Mesa. You may be able to get them through the net as well. If I didn't have a 22-250 I would have bought some.

However, you can get the Federal's with a 125 gr. Sierra bullet that would do well for coyotes as well.

If you want a light over the counter load, you can get the Remington reduced recoil ammo.

Also, Buffalo Bore is soon coming out with some new Heavy Duty loads.

That is the beauty of the 30-30, lotsa options. :wink:
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Also, if you buy a new 336, it will likely have the LeverEvolution mag. follower as well.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Mark,

Before I would buy the hardwood stocked 336W or 336A for $379, I would look at something on GunBroker.com such as this with Walnut Stocks:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=88464316

Just do a search for 336 and you will find lotsa options. You may even find a real nice pre-safety model. :wink:
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Does anyone have any squib loads worked up with .357 brass? Something that won't fly very far if it ricochets? The neighbors aren't really very close, but I'd rather err on the side of caution. Besides, a quiet plinking round would be nice.
I just worked up my first load, and I use it for short-range silhouette. It's pretty accurate. 7.5 grains of Blue Dot with a 158 grain cast bullet, CCI 550 primer. You may want to go a little higher to tune it to your gun.

It is quiet and slow, but it does knock down the 100 yd rams, and they're pretty thick. Plinking is sort of a disappointment - I miss the explosive effect that 1500 fps has on milk jugs. Now I just get a "thunk".

I would guess my velocities are in the 800-900 fps range.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."