AUCTION ALERT - Browning model 71 carbine on GB

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

AUCTION ALERT - Browning model 71 carbine on GB

Post by pharmseller »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=79706720

Let's take bets: what will be the final price (w/o shipping)?

$780

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The dealer has quite a few other guns out for bid, among them:

A Marlin 1894FG .41Mag

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=8209624

A Winchester 1871-1971 M94 NRA Centennial .30-30 Musket

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=8202848

And an 1899 Winchester M94 .30-30 (30WCF) 26" Round Barrel rifle

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=8209826
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Darn empty wallet!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Whats the deal with upside down 71's lately :D
How do you guys compare the new brownings to the originals?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm guessing it'll be closer to $1,100.00
Old Law Dawg
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I'm going in with a guess of $965.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Start at about $950 NIB
Not NIB. minus a few hundred
Williams peep. plus 50
Cut butt. minus a hundred

Ready to hunt and shoot without bruising. Plus 50

$750 to $800. I think Quinn has is pegged.

I'll go $800 even.

Glen at Eastern Branch is a good guy with a lot of guns to sell. He usually uses no reserve auctions, which is a nice bonus
Chad
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

$709 with 8 days to go.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

rafter-7
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rafter-7 »

man a standard browning 71 carbine @ 730-740 $ right now and the gun having issues seems high already. Byron and I got a browning high grade 71 carbine for 750.00 less that a year ago w/box

have they went up that much???

rafter-7
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

It is amazing how well some guns do in a .01 auction/no reserve.

Um....$875
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Penny auctions with no reserve and two week length seem to be the way to garner the highest prces!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

$738 with just under 2 days to go...

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Well, I bid on it once just before Stockjocky outbid me. I have been wanting a Browning 71 for a long time, but it just seemed like I never took the plunge and bought one. I got cold feet on this one because of the recoil pad, although if the length of pull is correct, then it might be a good thing, still yet, I would prefer to have the factory steel pad and change it myself if I disired. I am glad I got outbid.

Because if I hadn't I wouldn't have been able to purchase the old Winchester model 71 that had been converted to 450 Alaskan. It's on UPS now, headed to my dealer. I won it on Gunbroker.com Auction # 79780336. You can probably still pull it up.

Yeah, I know, I gave a load of money for it, but it comes with loading dies and those cost 289.00 new. And about two boxes of shells That's worth at least another 75 to a 100.00 so IMHO I feel pretty good about it. It was build by Atkinson and Marquart in Arizona in the late 50's or eairly 60's. And I am told those guns are considered to be the equal to the ones converted by Harold Johnson, Who invented the 450 Alaskan. So, needless to say, I am quite excited about receiving it. I hope to have it in 2 or 3 days. I have sorta wanted a 450 Alaskan Model 71 ever since I first read about them.

Here's the link http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=79780336
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Nice lookin' gun. It appears that an 1886 lever and mag tube were used. The barrel band is kinda interesting, too. I guess that the smith didn't want to cut a dovetail for a mag retaining ring.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

That 450 is nice looking. That front band looks like a custom machined piece as well. From the pictures it looks like the original barrel was bored and re-rifled ... and, according to the seller, cut down to 20". I only assume that because the Winchester barrel markings seem to be perfect ... like on an original barrel. Please let us know how she shoots.

I think you got a great deal ... especially when you count the ammo and dies. Plus you can take it right out and shoot it with that ammo coming.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Thanks, fellows

Yes, the lever must be off of an 1886 if I was guessing and I am pretty sure it was rebored not rebarreled. I believe that was done more back then, then it is now days. They must have heated the tang and straightened it out to make the straight grip.

The barrel band is heavy duty to keep the mag tube from comming loose, due to recoil. This was also done by Harrold Johnson at Coopers Landing, on the guns he built, I am pretty sure I read that somewhere and I am pretty sure I have seen some pictures of other period 450s that had beefed up barrel bands, even on the half magazzene rifles. When I saw the barrel band on the rifle, it kinda helped sell me on bidding on the gun to start with, because I figured it was done right. I hope that turns out to be true.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I didn't really mean to highjack this thread. I am going to guess that the Browning model 71 goes for $825
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

During the 'late 40s to early '60s, unnumbered 1886 lower tangs were available from Winchester for a song. That is probably what was used, but you'll know when you see the gun.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

By the way, I asked the seller of the Browning 71 what the length of pull was on it, since it had a recoil pad added.

He told me the stock didnot look to be cut, and the length of pull was 13 1/4 inches. So, the way I see it, the stock has been cut, but it must be a good job. There is no way it can have that short a pull and not be cut.

Still yet, 13 1/4 is about right for me, espacally with a heavy coat on. I though you guys might like to know, just in case anyone wants to bid on it.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Mike D. wrote:During the 'late 40s to early '60s, unnumbered 1886 lower tangs were available from Winchester for a song. That is probably what was used, but you'll know when you see the gun.
I wondered about that. If that is the case, then the buttstock is probably from an 1886 also. Otherwise, it would probably have had to of been custom made also, because I doubt that with the tang straightened out on the original model 71, that a stock 1886 buttstock would have fit.

This is definately an interesting gun for me. I sure hope it shoots and functions 100% because I am not into safe queens, I like shooters, and I certainally intend to shoot and hunt with this one.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

PG lower tangs are thicker that the straight ones and straightening one out would be a PITA. Maybe it was done that way, because the 71 and '86 had different mainsprings. Pulling the stock on your gun will tell an interesting story. Please fill us in, Lastmohecken. :?
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

$780 with 8 1/2 hours left. I might have underestimated a tad, given the propensity for last-minute bidders.

Quinn

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

$780 with just under an hour. Pharmseller is on so far. Will he make it or will a last minute bidder pop in?
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

$855 with less than 11 minutes! I was sooooo close!

Quinn

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Up to $900 now.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Looks like $900 took it. By Bob Barker's rules ... I'm out. Who came closest without going over?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Looks like $900 took it. By Bob Barker's rules ... I'm out. Who came closest without going over?
Maybe 900 is the going price now, for one like that. I looked at one at the last local gunshow that was almost identical, except it didn't have a recoil pad and his lowest price was $900 but it seemed a little high to me at the time, plus it had some bad scratches on the buttstock, where someone must have fell down on the side of a mountain and slid for a ways.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I win. :D 8) I had $875.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congratulations Andrew!!! :D

I saw one for $800 at a table at the "Dixie Gun Show" in Charlotte this weekend, but had no funds... :cry:
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cubrock »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Congratulations Andrew!!! :D

I saw one for $800 at a table at the "Dixie Gun Show" in Charlotte this weekend, but had no funds... :cry:

Hey, Ysabel. That one from Dixie could still be yours. :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

cubrock wrote:
Ysabel Kid wrote:Congratulations Andrew!!! :D

Hey, Ysabel. That one from Dixie could still be yours. :D
Steve, you're killing me... I'm sitting in the airport in Las Vegas watching the sun come up, waiting for my flight home (this was a work trip - no fun), and thinking about ways I can fanagle this. Too tempting...