sight hight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

sight hight

Post by JollyWhiteGiant »

I was reading in another topic that the front sights have to go up when peep sights are instaled, does that go for tang sights as well? I picked up a used NRA centennial rifle that I am planning on putting a tang on and need to know if I should order a new front as well.
tatume
Levergunner

Re: sight hight

Post by tatume »

I was reading in another topic that the front sights have to go up when peep sights are instaled.
When I install receiver sights I usually co-align them with the factory open sight and then either fold down or remove the factory sight.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

JollyWhiteGiant wrote:I was reading in another topic that the front sights have to go up when peep sights are instaled, does that go for tang sights as well? I picked up a used NRA centennial rifle that I am planning on putting a tang on and need to know if I should order a new front as well.
Just recently I placed Ghost Ring Sights on my Win. Trapper 94. Along with the new rear peep and front sight they send a plastic post front sight . You install the really high plastic sight and then sight in your rifle and cut off a little of the front sight at a time untel you reach the height you want it to be. If the front one they sent you is to high or to low you call them and let them know how high you want a new front sight and they send it out right away and you send the other sight back to them.
The rear peep is also adjustable for high, low, right or left. These sights are not cheap but they are the best aperture sights I have ever owned. Mike
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I seldom replace the factory front sight. Try the new rear sight FIRST with the ammo you'll be using and THEN replace IF necessary. Save the extra money for more ammo, components or guns. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You won't need a taller front sight blade for a tang sight - if the tang sight is all you're gonna use.

However, the barrel rear sight will interfere with sighting, and should be repaced with a slot filler blank ($6).

Some shooters, however, use the barrel sights for close-range snapshots - and raise the tanger (folding the barrel sight) for longer shots - thus giving the gun/shooter two zeroes.
In that case, both a higher front sight, and a folding barrel sight are needed.
That's how this .375 BB94 is set up.

JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

I like how yours is set up Pete. is that Marbles folding on the rear? Do they send out a test post with the rear or just take a guess?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

JollyWhiteGiant wrote:I was reading in another topic that the front sights have to go up when peep sights are instaled, does that go for tang sights as well? I picked up a used NRA centennial rifle that I am planning on putting a tang on and need to know if I should order a new front as well.
JWG,
I know your question has already been answered, but I thought I might add in my two bits worth.

I've used receiver sights on every Win 94 and Marlin I've owned that was factory D&T'd for them, and some that were D&T'd after wards. I've never "needed" to install a taller front sight.
I have however replaced the factory bead fronts with a sourdough or blade type sight if the rifle was not so equipped.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree, Taller should not be needed. I have not had to replace any of mine due to not being able to zero with standard ammo. :wink:
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

If you install the Ghost Ring sights you will need a new front sight and it will be higher. The reason is that the rear Ghost Ring sight is much higher than what you have on your 94. In fact, some people just leave the old buckhorn on the gun because you will be sighting over top of the old one.
Just look up or search Ghost Ring Sights and you will see what I'm talking about. They are a great sight and I love mine. Fast to get on target and very easy to be accurate at close or far distances and great easy adjustments for height or windage. It also comes with two different apertures. Mike
Here is the link where you can see the sights and why you need a higher front sight: http://www.xssights.com/store/rifle.html
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I should have said that no taller front sights have been needed with my
Williams,Lyman or Marbles sights. The OI/XS and the Skinner sights are taller and you may need a taller front to work with them. :)
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

I have gotten 2 rifles recently that I am going to be replacing the sights on. My .45 Colt Trapper. someone replaced the sights on it and didn't measure them correctly so the gun shoots 8" high at 50 yards (might have set it for 100 yards with light cowboy loads but doesn't work for me in the swamp after deer). I think I am going to do an XS sight set for this one and filling in the rear blank.

The second is an NRA centenial rifle I picked up. The front is missing the hood and the bead is missing. The rear sight is bent. The rest of the rifle is fine but the sights are FUBAR. Plannign on putting a Lyman #2 on the tang, a marbles #95 folding rear in the rear blank (following pete's sugestion) and a 3/32" 0.343" high gold dot Marbles front sight on it.

I am hoping these will work as I planned. just didn't know if I needed a higher front for the #2. Hopefully my measurements are correct in the front.
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Pete, Where do you guys buy the slot blanks? I never even knew they made such a critter! :) Gotta get me one. Mike
JollyWhiteGiant
Levergunner

Brownells has a few diferent ones. Only steel one they have is a Marbles #579-087-100
Mike-in-WV
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike-in-WV »

Thanks JollyWhiteGiant, I'll order me one right away. Been looking for something to fill in that gap :wink: Mike
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

The rear folder is a Marble's, and (unlike XS) they don't send you squat.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ ... AR%20SIGHT

Winchester Trapper's front sight height is correct for receiver peeps, too - unless a bead type change is desired.

Sight heights can be figured by using the Brownell's Sight Height Calculator:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/sight.aspx

The Williams dovetail filler is aluminum & has a setscrew to take up loosenss:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ ... OT%20BLANK

The Marble's slot filler is available in silver or blue:

I make these decorative fillers from old long leaf barrel sights, by cutting & filing away unwanted material: