Wolves are killing my moose!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

These were taken on a scouting trip to our Quebec moose hunting concession.

Eric M.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Eric M. »

I've worked with Dr. Dave Mech on his wolf studies 86er.
The photos that you took are a once in a lifetime opportunity.
A guy just doesn't see wolves in the wild much, and to see, and be able to take the pictures that you did, are a gift.
Don't worry, there will still be moose to hunt in your area.
In fact, if you would have yelled at the wolves, they most likely would have fled.
A wolf is a coward. It is the ONLY animal that will leave it's young if they are disturbed, buy an intruder, even if that intruder is a man.
I shoot all of my deer in an area that has two active packs, and have had the luck to see them in the woods while hunting. Otherwise only with collars on them, and tranquilized.

Eric
God Bless Our Troops!!!
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

All I can say, is, WOW!!! Those are amazing photos!!

Thanks for sharing!
John
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes, fantastic photos!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Fantastic photos!!! They might be cowards, but it appears that they also know how to work together.
Eric M.
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Eric M. »

They sure do know how to work together.
What these photos show, is a classic wolf kill.
One wolf hamstrings the prey, and another grabs him by the snout.
Then they go for the neck, and it's all over.
Great, Great pictures.

Eric
God Bless Our Troops!!!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

AMAZING! werewolf? there wolf!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

86er,
Those are fantastic pictures.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

An amazing sequence, for sure.

Apparently they didn't get the memo on it being "your" moose. :P

scott
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Awesome photos! I wonder how long the photographer had to stay up in that tree while they fed?
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

WOW how cool is that. Nice pic's
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Saloon slug wrote:WOW how cool is that. Nice pic's
No, these pics are not cool - on the contrary quite unpleasant. It a good proof of a photographer's art, but it depicts the destruction of game and hunting.

Here in Sweden wolves are fastly growing in numbers, and where wolves dwell, moose and deer soon are more or less extincted. The last month 8 dogs have been taken by wolves and also cattle and sheeps only in the small region of Vaermland.

Old Sh.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

When the balance of nature gets tipped one way or the other there's inevitably going to be problems. Predatory animals and prey lived together long before man started meddling. Then it get's complicated.

This is just a natural act in the wild. Understandably if there's an over abundance of any predatory animal they'll desimate the local prey. Sounds like animal control needs to make an appearance. That's what we call a bounty.
Old Law Dawg
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

To me it's an amazing site thanks for posting
M27
Levergunner

Post by M27 »

Old Shatterhand wrote:
No, these pics are not cool - on the contrary quite unpleasant. It a good proof of a photographer's art, but it depicts the destruction of game and hunting.

Here in Sweden wolves are fastly growing in numbers, and where wolves dwell, moose and deer soon are more or less extincted. The last month 8 dogs have been taken by wolves and also cattle and sheeps only in the small region of Vaermland.

Old Sh.
This is rubbish with respect to moose and deer; all surveys show that the moose population is decreased by approx. 10% by the wolves, except on a VERY local scale. And there are only around 150 wolves in all of Sweden (roughly the size of CA). They do pose a serious threat to hunting dogs where they do occur though.
CraigC
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CraigC »

Unbelievable!!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Part of the whole point of reintorducing wolves was to kill the game animals to reduce interest in hunting and guns. The other is some simple minded time marches backward thinking of reestablishing some past eco system - like the should already be extinct condor. 2/3 of the species that have ever lived are extinct.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

It appears to me that the present wolf population should be reduced by 50%. Their numbers are fast becoming topheavy.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

This may of been asked, but have you thought of getting those pics published in a outdoor mag?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

The photographer should have had an AR-15 in the stand with him, and after taking photos eliminated the threat! I for one don't have any sympathy for wolfs or their little cousins, coyotes, and would like to eliminate as many as possible. Ask yourself a question, why were wolfs killed off years ago? -JDL
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I am going to put these in an email and distribute them to those who think nature is kind and music plays whem bambi is around.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My advice is to shoot, shovel, and shut up.

There was someone here on this site a few years ago who shot a wolf in self defense and was almost charged with a federal crime IIRC.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Excuse me! Didn't moose and wolves each successfully survive while living in the same area at the same time? That is the impression I have always had. Is it wrong?
From my Environmental Science course it is my understanding that as prey animals increase, predator animals follow suit. As the predators make enough of an impact on the prey population and it is reduced, they also impact their own population with a reduction. Increase, increase: Decrease, decrease. As Linda (how ever you spell) Ellerbee says; "And so it goes!"
PPpastordon
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well then Don, let Satan eat the dumb christians --- right ???

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And Don, the couple of kids that were killed by wolves - just fine ???:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

And Don, didn't the lions eat the christians. Was that OK too with you ????

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

The wolves were killed off because people didn't know any better, just like here in Australia the wedgetail eagle was slaughtered to near extinction. They used to say that wedgies killed lambs. it wasn't till after the slaughter that they found out that they dont eat lamb except on extremely rare occasions. Wolves and wedgies in the right quantity are part of the balance of nature.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Don't know how to break this to you Gun but ---- the wolves are eating the Moose !!! :idea:

El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

They are probably hungry. So what if they take a moose?
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Hmm, wolf topics do get us all worked up. I hope this one stays civil and respectful. :) Beautiful photography work, for sure!
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

When a baby sparrow takes a tumble from the big palm tree in the backyard, what Heidi the Boxer and Bitsy the Boston Terrier do to it is not pleasant for the sqeamish to watch , either. Wolf food does not come from cans and bags.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

Old Savage;
Thank you for the responses. I pray they cause many of us to think about the wolves, the moose, and life itself.

If a Christian is dumb, he or she will be "eaten" by Satan; right along with others without a relationship with God (YHWH). Great Spiritual point!

It is never "just fine" that human kids (or adults, for that matter) are killed by wolves or any other animal - including being murdered by other humans. From times past, right through today, if the guilty wolf, wolves, or other guilty animal (including humans) is found it is destroyed. That is a Biblical response, by the way, and is (or sure should be) supported by Christians. Please note that there is a difference between killing and murdering. Only humans are ever murdered - while other animals and under some circumstances humans are killed. Many people are surprised to find out that the original words of the Bible (the sixth Commandment) does not condemn killing (KJV and some others based on the KJ); only murder(all original Hebrew, Septuigent and almost every other translation).

No. It will never be "OK" with me that Christians were fed to hungry lions. I should hope that in today's world it would not be "OK" with anyone. The people who did this were guilty of murder.

Biblically, after the flood, God allowed humans to use animals for food - just like predatory animals do. However, it does not allow the use of human animals for food.
If you eat meat, you are doing (or are responsible for someone doing for you) exactly what those wolves are doing for themselves - getting food. As another human who eats meat as food, I am in the same boat. However, I pray my killing of food is what we humans might call more "humane." (Humane - another topic!)

Sorry so long - but appreciate the opportunity.
PPpastordon
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

M27 wrote:
Old Shatterhand wrote:

Old Sh.
This is rubbish with respect to moose and deer; all surveys show that the moose population is decreased by approx. 10% by the wolves, except on a VERY local scale. And there are only around 150 wolves in all of Sweden (roughly the size of CA). They do pose a serious threat to hunting dogs where they do occur though.
Let us keep our debates about the wolf and the consequences of their predation at home, and not import them here.

Old Sh.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

AR 15,,,,,,Pardon! Don,t you mean Levergun????? You made me spit coffee everywhere now :lol: :lol: :wink: [/quote]
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I do remember watching a documentry TV show pointing out that the pack is able to detect from the moose stools and urine or a wound via their noses whether the moose was ailing any . Its only what I heared and watched-don,t tick me off about it :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
M27
Levergunner

Post by M27 »

Old Shatterhand wrote:
M27 wrote:
Old Shatterhand wrote:

Old Sh.
Let us keep our debates about the wolf and the consequences of their predation at home, and not import them here.

Old Sh.
Duh? So it's OK for you ,but not OK for me to repsond??? With scientific facts... Sounds GREAT!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Fantastic photo's how lucky to be there with a camera!!
As for the debate about the "big bad wolf" how sad it would be to live and hunt in a land where there is no room for Wolves. I know, I live and hunt in such a place!
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Great pictures. From what I can see ... the wolves are innocent. That moose just came and fell down and died right in front of them. Somebody needs to show me the bloody glove. :?
TooTech
Levergunner

Post by TooTech »

To all of you wolf supporters, I hope that the government reintroduces all of the species that have been eliminated in YOUR states over the last 200 years.

I'm sorry to tell you, but the pristine wilderness where prey and predators lived in balance is gone.

How about reintroducing the grizzly to southern California?

:roll:
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I can think of a few Kalifornians I'd like to introduce to Mr. Grizz! :D

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I'd rather have the predators than a lot of the people!!! :wink: :wink:
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

TooTech wrote:How about reintroducing the grizzly to southern California?

:roll:
Hey, Now your talking!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Great photos!!!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Same here Gamekeeper :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Old Shatterhand

Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:38 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saloon slug wrote:
WOW how cool is that. Nice pic's

Old Sh.
Yes these are cool pic's.

Now I am sorry to hear that your country is not responsibly controling the wolf population. That is some thing you need to take up with your government. Not thrash on people here about.

Do I like the fact that they brought the wolf back yes. Do I think there should be controls in place i.e. hunting seasons and limits once a population has been established Yes. Should ranchers and farmers be able to kill animals that are going after their stock Yes.

And for those that say we should bring grizz back to SoCal great but to be realistic there is so little worth while habitat left here that they would probably die out in short order.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

Hey Ganjiro, WHAT HUMP?!?! God, I love that movie!!!jd45