I never sell guns, but...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

I never sell guns, but...

Post by Hobie »

Yep, I don't sell guns unless I have to but I was looking at the total value and looking at the remaining safe space and thinking "what do I have that I don't need to keep?" Oh, there's a rationalization for everything, honest there is. Top two contenders are the Norinco M213 9mm and the Bulgarian Makarov 9x18 but I do like it... Maybe the 4" Redhawk which I've never shot... :?

Unfortunately, I know the money will just go to another gun or reloading stuff... :roll:

So, what would you sell? What do you have right now that really, truth be told, has disappointed you or doesn't really float your boat anymore?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I never sell guns, but...

Post by rjohns94 »

I've sold all mine that meet that criteria. I don't have any firearms that I want to get rid of right now. that could change next week. VBG :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

Went through the same dilema myself a while back and now I am down to the weapons that I truly couldn't sell. Only problem is sombody will make an offer on something that I don't want to sell but I end up taking the deal just so I can buy something I don't need. I have swore though that I will never sell an older winchester no matter what. But then, I said the same thing about my collection of springfields and ended up selling every one of them for $600 or less each and I thought I was getting the better deal. Currently, there is not one firearm I own that I am dissappointed with.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I traded into these in the last couple weeks and haven't fully bonded with them. Within a couple months, they will be really in or traded away.
44mag Virginian Dragoon
Pre-Kahr Auto Ordnance 1911. Trigger, grips, assorted internal parts on the way.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

You'll all have a chance to bid on my S&W 17-2, 18-4 (with box, literature and original sales receipt), and a rare Colt Officers Model Special 22 when they get posted in the next week or so by my friend "jack the dog", on Auctionarms. I just purchased a 17-3 that is surprisingly more accurate than any of these, so I don't need more than one "accurate" 22 revolver.

I'm also ready to move a Deluxe 1893 30-30 takedown, half octagon, half mag, with a Hepburn receiver sight, and a Cody letter documenting everything. I'm more into rimfires and reloading is getting to be a hassle and not as much fun as it used to be.

I've enjoyed these and now it's time to pass them on to someone else to enjoy.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

I did a nice long reply, and it went away; too lazy to type it again.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

EdwardYoung,
Lets talk about thar Dragoon.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

An almost new Taurus model 63 with the tang sight that I thought was pretty cool but just couldn't get interested in. A Winchester model 67 that has been reblued. Might sell a very nice old Mossberg 46b with all the original sights and correct scope. Not much else.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

Over the years, I've found I can live without a lot of guns. Most were sold for the simple reason that I realized that they were just taking up space and I wanted to try something else. In my case, I came to the conclusion that none are special unless they have generated or have special memories. Some I will have till I die for that reason alone, some have even gotten into that place relatively recently. It isn't the firearm itself that matters after you get past "need", so my accumulation is pretty fluid and always has been. There are a few that I regret letting go, but out of literally hundreds over my life, they can be counted on one hand and only one I would actually replace if it came along.

I am the same with guitars. I went from 20+(some in the VERY collectible category, one guitar/amp combo sold on ebay bought me a trip to the Cayman Islands for 2 weeks) to 3 that actually get played and a couple others that don't often, but are in that special place. I do have a couple that wouldn't bring shipping so they haven't sold but if the opportunity came along they would leave pretty quick with no regrets.

IMO, after you have what you need for practical or emotional reasons, the rest are trading fodder. I'm always looking for the something new/different that might make it to the "need" category or it becomes trading fodder too. I love firearms, so many things to try out, so little money or time but they are just things.

Sell all three.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:I've sold all mine that meet that criteria. I don't have any firearms that I want to get rid of right now. that could change next week. VBG :lol:
I'm almost as bad. I'm all geeked on a .35 Rem Marlin right now. Going to sell off some stuff I was obsessed with amonth ago.

let me know when you get tired of that .22lr Model 66! :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I'll tell ya one thing, if you shoot that redhawk you won't ever sell it. If you shoot it with the Grizz load, you won't shoot your other guns much. The four inch is just about the most best one of the lot, IMO. Although mine's 5.5 and I'm chicken to shorten it. Maybe I can get a new barrel on the frame. hmmmmm.

I already have enough to sink the kayak so I guess you got me thinking now. fooee

Grizz
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

mescalero1 wrote:EdwardYoung,
Lets talk about thar Dragoon.
Here's the rest of the story:
It's spent it's whole life in a leather holster. The barrel's pitted, as a result. The grip is cracked at the locator pin, also. Those don't necessarily matter. It's still tight and accurate. If I don't bond with it, should I let you know? Thanks
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I don't have anything I'm willing to let go of. My worst shooter is also the first gun I ever bought so I will keep it for sentimental reasons. And the ones that are actually worth any money, the Rugers, are not going anywhere. 8)

Well, I thought about it for a second and I do have two shotguns that are the same 'cept for a couple differences. If I could/would get the stocks switched around and then the one threaded for changeable chokes, I would let the other one go. I guess that's my answer? :lol:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Yes.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Go nice with my Rossi pre - safety 92 .44Mag.
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

Every gun I sold, I have replaced or want it back. It's kinda like an old girlfriend. :mrgreen:
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

OK, got un-lazy
Remington 722 short action .300 Savage, someone before me converted it to .308.
Llama.45 auto
Star 9x19mm , welded the barrel bushing up on the inside and outside, lathe turned the inside to match the od of the barrel, lathe turned the outside to match the id of the slide, green optic front site, adjustable rear, really accurate.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Sixgun Jr.
I have some old girlfriends I would hate to run into!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

rjohns94 wrote:I've sold all mine that meet that criteria. I don't have any firearms that I want to get rid of right now. that could change next week. VBG :lol:
I don't sell mine either - but I have been on the buying end of rjohns94 "weeding out" efforts! :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

As I sit here at 4 am thinking about this, IF, I like the way the .44mag shoots AND I can wring out the S&W 17, I might be ready to move a springfield M1 .45 and the kimber .22 conversion kit as it would become redundant and I can't use a semi .22 in Pa for hunting. Hmmmmm. Maybe that would fund that hankering for a trapdoor!!!! anyone want to trade an excellent bore, good wood trapdoor?????? :lol:
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I'm thinking about the same thing, but right now I'm using all my guns. If I sell one I won't figure to get it back later.

It's partially a matter of caliber right now, I will be trying some loads to get a feel for what I'd like to stick with. If I decide to get out of a caliber I'll sell the corresponding rifles.

Eventually I hope to get it down to airgun and one other caliber, either .357, 30-30 or 35 Rem, for big game. But I'm still enjoying silhouette and will be experimenting with all 3 for a while.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

I have been a gun crank since I was a boy. As soon as I buy the one I had to have, I want something else. In order to support my addiction, I have to sell/trade. In my teens, I payed rent/debts with guns. In the last 2 months, I have sold 4 and bought 4. My latest phase of addiction is commie guns. A CZ 52 7.62x25, a Polish WZ88 5.45x39 (Kalshnikovski), & a CZ 82 9x18 Makarov is enroute to my dealer. I get surplus ammo cheap enough for the 3 of them that reloading isn't worth the effort. I would be buying another if I was currently employed.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

mescalero1 wrote:I did a nice long reply, and it went away; too lazy to type it again.
That happens to me, too. :(
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
I don't sell mine either - but I have been on the buying end of rjohns94 "weeding out" efforts! :D
Me, too!
Sincerely,

Hobie

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Right now I've got to say I'm pretty happy with my meager collection. I don't really have any that I want to sell and I'm not itching real heavy for something to buy. There's a few I'd like to get, but they'll have to be just right for me to buy more. I don't shoot the ones I have enough to have more just lying around.
Old Law Dawg
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

have an 870 Rem. patrolman's shotgun == parkerized finish, oiled wood, rifle stock and sights, magazine extension, etc.

Its OK -- i'd sell it in a minute if i could get a deal on a wood stock Winchester Defender to replace it with. (they had one piece full length magazines without the need for the clunky extension)
Had one a few years back that i bought for maybe $250 new, now its hard to find 'em on GB for less than 450 or 500

Thats really it, the rest i either love too much , or are too new to determine
----- Doug
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The 1886 TD I have for sale fits that bill.

I alllways wanted a TD, but that was based on experiencing the CoPilot WWG GG/1895 TD.

The 86 is beautiful and accurate, but heavy and ultimately not for me.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:twisted: Hey, Hobie, I'll trade ya the 4" RedHawk for a tuba :!: I'll even throw in a cheapo trombone....You've got your own flute to play :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Shooter973
Levergunner

Post by Shooter973 »

I'd have to agree with most of you that it's not a very good idea to sell off any of your guns. My guns have OUT-paced any gains in the Stock markets or other investments that I've ever seen. I have NO intention of selling any, but their value is shooting right up to the stratosphere compared to the prices I paid for them. My children, (2 sons, & 1 daughter) will inherit a ton of fine firearms when I'm done with them. Along with all the ammo and accessories that go with them. They are probably my most valuable asset next to my paid off home. Sometimes it's good to be on the right side of things and have somethings that really appreciate in value rather than lose value over the years. My guns are going up in value while my cars and other "investments" always seem to decline in value. :?
colo native
Levergunner 2.0

Post by colo native »

Hobbie, flute, My eyes,,, oh tha horra of it..
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Sold my Marlin 1895 in order to get funds for a Ruger Single Six. Thinking of selling my Finnish M39 Mosin that mostly sits in the safe. Sold a Rem 870 last year that a buddy gave me. Also sold off a Yugo M48 Mauser and a Russian 91/30 Mosin, both of which sat in the safe. I only keep guns that have sentimental value, serve an actual purpose such as hunting or competition, or those that have a big fun factor. Over time, that number has been whittled down to about 15 guns. I got off the collecting bug a long time ago.
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

Everything is for sale, and nothing is for sale.
I have far more than I realistically need, but none that I really dislike.
If I sold half of them nothing would change, except I would have money to buy still more.
I always have something on the "short list" but nowadays I more often wait until the urge disapates.

It took many years to get to this point and I'm just starting to enjoy it. I've got a stack of single shots, a rack of lever guns, a bunch of bolt guns, and a few Evil Black Rifles. I worked a lot of extra hours to get these. So many hours, in fact, that I've yet to fire a few of them! That's all done now and I'm enjoying the fruits of my labours a little bit at a time.

Lately I spend more range time with a couple of old favorite .22s and wait for the primer and powder shortages to ease. I don't want to dig too deep into my reserves right now.

I'm thinking that if any of us are still around twenty years from now, we'll be thinking of right now as the good old days.

Jack
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Jack,
I hope your prediction does not come true.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm actially mulling over my Rem 513-T Matchmaster too... Haven't competed in years, am not likely to start again, etc.

Not particularly "valuable", but worth a few C notes to someone who wants to have an entry level/historic competition gun...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

mescalero1 wrote:Jack,
It's human nature. Time fades the bad stuff and preserves the good memories.
Otherwise we would all be mental basket cases. :D

I don't mention and seldom recall eating tuna casserole and mac&cheese and hot dogs a couple of times a week,for a year, while I saved up for my new MKIV Series 70 Colt. I was getting paid $3.25 per hour back then.
I do clearly remember driving halfway across the state in a raging snowstorm to buy it the day before Christmas, for $254.
Those were the good old days. :lol:

Jack
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Sixgun jr wrote:Every gun I sold, I have replaced or want it back. It's kinda like an old girlfriend. :mrgreen:
Lies, Lies, Lies!!!!!!! Yea, you replaced any sold guns when you sneaked into my vault while I was away at work. Every time you come home, the safe looks a little more "roomy"

As for the girlfriends, well, more lies. Why? here's their names-Bob, Sam, Bill, Preston, Clarence....................YO PAPPA :D
Model A Uzi’s
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

My paternal grandmother ( bless her soul ) wore out a riding crop on me trying ( succesfully ) to teach me that a modern american male could express himself forcefully without resorting to vulgarity, after one of her male friends gave me a long lecture about the good old days, looked me in the eye and said " I don't know what that old fool is talking about, I remember going to town in a horse and buggy, reading with oil lamps, they were not that good "!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jhrosier wrote:
mescalero1 wrote:Jack,
It's human nature. Time fades the bad stuff and preserves the good memories.
Otherwise we would all be mental basket cases. :D
I'm not convinced most of us aren't... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

I just bought a boat so I'm thinking about a couple of guns that could get turned into new electronics.

The boat:

The salmon quota for the ocean season here went from 11,000 last year to 110,000 this year!

The guns I'm thinking about: Browning 92 in .357 (I know, but my EMF shoots just as good)
Remington 1100 20 gauge
Browning High Grade model 71

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

pharmseller, let me know if you are going to sell that browning .357
Mike Johnson,

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Mike beat me to it... :lol: Seriously, what are you doing with one of those evil gas guzzling boats. You need a sail boat! Now there is a hole in the water into which you can pour money. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

Now there is a hole in the water into which you can pour money.
Ahhh Hobie....you have reached the 11th Stage of Enlightenment...Like the old saying goes....

If it flies, floats, or....ahhhh....ummmm fornicates....its cheaper to rent than own...... :wink:

Seriously, pharmseller....that's a nice fishin' rig you have there.... :) :) I only wish we had your kind of salmon quotas down here in Kalifornia...
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

BOAT:
Break Out Another Thousand

:lol:

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942