OT - Interarms Mk.5 LE Sporter

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

OT - Interarms Mk.5 LE Sporter

Post by Bruce Scott »

Does anyone know anything about these? It looks pretty.

Here's the seller's description:
Calibre: 303
Make: Interarms
Model: Sporter Mk 5
Action: Bolt repeater
Sights: Aperture
Serial No: 3043
Comments: Interarms sporter made in UK, 5 round mag, adjustable peep sight. Very good condition.

Last edited by Bruce Scott on Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Bruce,

I know that Interarms was an importer that went out of business several years ago. They used to import the Rossi lever guns and many others into the U.S.

As for that rifle, I know only one thing: I'd love to have it.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've heard that those aftermarket 5-shot mags for .303 SMLE's don't work very well, and some users have to switch back to the military 10-shot mag as a work-around.

The military mag, does protrude down, changing the bottom line ahead of the trigger guard, though.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Pete,

I don't know about the current 5 round magazines, but I've had a 5 shot Santa Fe magazine for well over 25 years that works perfectly. It's almost a carbon copy of the military issue just shrunk to 5 rounds. And I laugh when I think I used to be ashamed that it is marked; "Made In Japan".

Joe
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

It appears this is a 70s built rifle. I received the following Email from the seller:

".... I will be transferring this gun through Mcdonalds Gun shop upon its sale. Its built on a number 4 mk2 action and has a "S" on the cocking piece which i understand is Savage. It has a sliding ladder sight same as a number 4 Enfield with increments to 1300 metres. Barrel is 21.5 inches long and the bore is in vgc to excellent condition with sharp rifling, "5 groover", with no pitting and is bright and shiny. The stock is a toughie, it has a finish which looks very similar to teak, also has a lacquer covering. Also has an inbuilt recoil pad that actually works!, thank God. This rifle is not a backyard convert and has been built to a very high standard. I understand that it was built in the early 70s from unissued surplus actions and barrels that Interarms purchased from the British Government. It has a five round detachable magazine that fits flush against the bottom of the rifle. I bought this rifle for deer hunting for its light weight and almost indestructible build. Plus i hate modern rifles! Unfortunately this is a forced sale due to ill health as i can no longer hunt. To get a rifle built from the action up as you were considering to match this rifle would cost you megabucks with the construcution of the stock and the very close metal to wood tolerances that this rifle has. It is also very accurate and i have only ever used hand loads through it. Its accuracy is almost as good as my Fazarkely range rifle that i used to use in military rifle discipline until ill health stopped that as well! Am reluctant to let this baby go and it may sound silly but i want it to go to a good home. I have never seen another Sporter .303 built to this standard. Any more questions, enquiries etc please feel free to call me on my mobile xxxx xxx xxx . Hope i have answered your enquiry to your satisfaction, regards ......."
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

Hey Bruce;

All I can add is that Interarms was a large surplus importer based in Alexandria, Virginia, and I believe they had a office/wharehouse in Manchester England.

I still know one of the gunsmiths who used to work for Interarms in Alexandria. He is a skilled tradesman, and not a hack jobber. The Interarms sporters I have seen have been several cuts above the conversions Century Arms has been selling more recently.

If you like the looks of it, I think it is a safe bet that when you get it, it will feel like a quality rifle.

Good luck.

Sean