Winchester 'lightweight'?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 'lightweight'?

Post by cutter »

Please pardon my ignorance, but has anyone heard of a Winchester model 94 chambered in 45/70 called the lightweight?

A few years ago , I saw what I assumed was a 94' chambered in 45/70, but payed no attention. Now I have heard talk of a 94 marketed as a 'Lightweight'...

Could the 94 be chambered in that cartridge? I know the rifle I saw was a Winchester chambered in 45/70 and was not a Big Bore, but It could have been something else as I didn't look that closely at it. It was a new in the box gun at Gander Mountain.

Any ideas?????
...or did I have too much fun as a teenager?
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Think you saw the Winchester 1886 lightweight in 45/70.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Ravenman beat me to it. I agree it probably was an 86 LW. :wink:
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There was also a Model 94 Lightweight, but the .45-70, & it's rim in particular, are too big for the action to handle.
That is why the BBM94 Timber was made in .444 & .450 Marlin, instead - as those cartridges are slim enough for it.

Ken Waters featured an M94 Lightweight Deluxe, a .30-30, in one of his monthly "Classic Rifle" columns/series for Rifle Magazine, in the late 80's or so, IIRC. It had a 2/3 mag, but I can't recall whether or not it was straight or pistol gripped.