Stainless Steel Winchester 94 Receiver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Stainless Steel Winchester 94 Receiver

Post by Griff »

So, do any of you others doubt this?

Stainless Steel Winchester 94 Receiver. I know there were stainless steel barrels used, but receiver. I've never heard this one.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Is it just me or do the screws look dished out? Could it just be polished in the white?
I never heard of a stainless 94 but I'm not a Winchester fella.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I'm with Leverdude, looks like some one went to town with a polishing wheel and very poor job at that. Did you notice the post 64 loading gate?
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I guess it is a post 64 model, they started at 2700000, he must have posted an added X in the serial# too.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

It's been refinished. The bluing is way to good for used 43 year old rifle.
That receiver has been well polished and most likely is plated. Winchester never made any stainless 94s.

Joe
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

And anyone who has dealt with as many guns as the seller has should know it's been ground down just by looking at it.

I 've heard rumor they made a Stainless Black Shadow win94 once, though. I think it was a special order for a Shot show or something. But nothing for mass production.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Leverdude wrote:Is it just me or do the screws look dished out? Could it just be polished in the white?
I never heard of a stainless 94 but I'm not a Winchester fella.
Nope, I see 'em too. Lots of polishing did that.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Actually there were some stainless 94s made, not very many. They were shown at some kind of convention or anniversary, something like that. That's all I recall for now but if I stumble on the photo on one of the backup drives I'll post it.

They didn't look like the one at gunbroker, they had stainless barrels and mags, and I 'think', IIRC, that they had black composit stocks. Pretty stunning really..,

Grizz
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

The receiver looks matted, like it's been plated as already stated. I wonder if it isn't hard chromed.
Old Law Dawg
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Looks over-buffed and in-the-white to me. I can't imagine how long you'd have to work it to dish out the screw holes like that.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I wonder what made him believe that it was stainless? Delusional? Maybe just simply mistaken. :?
jimmel
Levergunner

Magnet

Post by jimmel »

Magnet might tell all, unless its a low grade stainless. Reminds me I want to check my Stainless Rossi this way.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Re: Magnet

Post by Pisgah »

jimmel wrote:Magnet might tell all, unless its a low grade stainless. Reminds me I want to check my Stainless Rossi this way.
Every stainless gun I've owned has been magnetic. Non-magnetic stainless is generally the sort of stuff you'll find on appliances.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

The austenitic stainless alloys (300 series) are non-magnetic. The martensitic alloys (400 series) are the ones that ARE magnetic. The 400's are probably used in firearms for their strength. The 300's have better corrosion resistance at the expense of some strength ... hence their use more for cookware, etc.

I thought this knowledge was less than useful until I started TIG welding as a hobby.