Texas Safari- Narrowed Down to Two

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GANJIRO

Texas Safari- Narrowed Down to Two

Post by GANJIRO »

I think I have settled on two firearms for the Texas Safari one being the Marlin model 36D 30/30 levergun I got for Dad which he never received, and my single shot Rossi 357 mag rifle which I am presently having worked on courtesy of a fellow levergunner's gunsmithing skills and contribution to the hunt (shorten barrel to 16.25" and dovetail a new front sight, will post pictures with his okay).

I have several hundred cast FNGC 150 grain .309 bullets I plan on loading for the 30/30. I have never hunted with cast in a 30/30, anything I should be concerned with game performance wise? Can you recommend a load using either 3031, Reloader-7, or 748?

Also Thanks to Tycer I have several 360 DW brass and 180 grain cast FNGC bullets i'd like to reload to use in my Rossi, any load you prefer in this caliber using this bullet? I'll probably bring a bunch of 38 special and 357 mag ammo too for fun.

I got spoiled living on Maui with deer just 5 minutes away, and a ATV always available, and perfect weather so hunting in shorts while wearing a tee shirt and rubber slippers, with only a couple sharp knives, a binocular, and a canteen of water. What bare minimum necessities will I require to hunt in Texas? How many rounds of ammo should I bring for each gun?

Almost forgot, my single shot Rossi has a black painted wood stock but the wood underneathe is very light colored. What color stain will I need to give it that Winchester red look before I True Oil the stock?

Thanks again for everything every one of you who made all this possible. Can't wait until February!
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

ji, it's grea that you are bringing your Dad's gun. Lots of folks use 30gr of 3031.
Enjoy :D
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Most of the stuff we are after is thin-skinned and weighs 175 pounds or less. The range will be no more than 150 yards in the open, 100 yards from a blind. Any of the 30-30 loads should be fine. Bring a small flashlight. That's about the only thing you'll need. You DO NOT need knives or binoculars. We have them for you courtesy of your levergun friends. If you are going to sit in a blind you might want a small bag or pack to keep your "stuff" in. However, you really don't need that much stuff.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Ji, I do not think the 360 DW will chamber in the Rossi. They should chamber in your 94 though.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com