To refinish or not?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

To refinish or not?

Post by Dave »

My pet Marlin 336 has very little finish left on the forearm and bare spots on the butt stock as well. It was out in the rain for about 5 hours the other day and it can't be good for bare wood to be getting wet.
If I took all the Marshield off and redid the stocks with Tru Oil I bet they would look good and be sealed up. The kicker is I don't want to do the job myself due to no time and fear of sanding.

So my question is:

Would it be better to oil finish the stocks or just don't worry about it?

and

If I oil finish them can I do it just by stripping the factory finish off and then applying the oil without sanding at all? I don't care about the dinks and scratches being taken out of the wood.
neil mitchell
Levergunner 1.0

Post by neil mitchell »

I would refinish it.Most of the used guns I buy have real rough looking stocks but I get them cheaper.
Why are you afraid of sanding? There is not much wood to sand on a 336 and it does need to be sanded before applying any kind of finish.
Go for it! Get'r done!

Neil
NRA,Disabled Vietnam Veteran
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Don't know about Marlin finishes, but Formby's furniture refinisher should take it off and leave the stain intact(if that's what you want). No sanding involved and you are left with the original stained wood with all the character+stain. I did this and tru-oiled by Grandfather's old single shot(the finish was chipping off, leaving the wood exposed):

Just a dab on a pad of 0000 steel wool and it melts the finish off when you pass it over the wood, at least on my Grand Dad's Winchester Single. Again, never tried it on a Marlin. Good luck.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

Every time I decided to refinish a stock, after it was done, I was very happy that I did it. I have bought many guns with scratched and dented wood, and gave them the treatment. Sure looked nice afterwards. Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You don't have to sand, except to smooth out any rough or gouged areas.

Go to WallyWorld, and but a small can (liquid) of Formby's Furniture Refinisher, a pack of OOOO steel wool, and a jar or Tru-Oil.

Follow the can directions, to wipe off the old finish down to bare wood with a steel wool pad soaked with the liquid, and let it dry overnght.

Stain darker, if you like (I use a Red Mahogany MinWax), then after it too dries, start applying the oil - sanding the rough spots first, if necessary.