Winchester 1886 vrs 71?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Winchester 1886 vrs 71?

Post by cutter »

What is the differeance between the Winchester 1886 and model 71?
I apologise for the ignorance, but as I have only seen them in photos, they look the same to me?
James Riley
Levergunner

Post by James Riley »

According to Madis: "some minor mechanical changes and the addition of a pistol grip and semi-bevertail fore end as standard, the model 71 is a continuation of the model 1886." . . . "Caliber 348, which had been developed for this model, was the only cartridge . . ." except some experimental models. I think shotgun butt and shorter bbl were standard.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

71 and 1886

Post by brucew44guns »

The two models are very similar in appearance. The model 71 however, was chambered for a more modern cartridge at that time with the .348, and the rifle was modified a little to appeal to hunters who had perhaps lost interest in lever action guns, they wanted something new, more powerful, perhaps sportier, at least Winchester had hoped that was what they were offering. But the world must have been tired of both guns, in 1957 or 58 the 71 went away. Better get one of each if you can, no need to fuss about the merits, both are great.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

It is said that the angle of the bolt lockup is slightly different on the 71. If there is a difference, my naked eye can't see it. Anyway, it is said ( again :wink: ) that the angle of the 71 will cause the 71's lever to "pop open" if the pressures are too high; whereas, the 86 (due to the angle geometry) will remain locked up. Personally, if, by come circumstance I inadverdently caused a condition of too high of a pressure, I would just as soon have the gun let me know of my error. I presume that a heavy handed idiot could keep loading the 86 heavier and heavier, with no complaint of the lever, until he turned himself into a one eyed hairlip :shock:
James Riley
Levergunner

Post by James Riley »

Just my personal opinion, but esthetically, the 86 wins hands down.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

"Just my personal opinion, but esthetically, the 86 wins hands down."

I agree, and would add that feel and handling the '86 wins hands down. Just never liked the feel of the tight pistol grip and long forward comb stock of the 71.

I'd modify my 71 into a straight grip in a second if I could get the parts.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Double tap.

Was having trouble getting the message to post.
Last edited by Malamute on Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

86 and 71

Post by brucew44guns »

I concur with Leverluver on the 71 opening the lever slightly if pressures are too high. I bought 2 boxes of reloaded ammo, way back in 1973 or 74, and didn't know they were reloads. Back then, I just knew I had a model 71 and wanted to shoot it. I had shot several factory loads out of one box, then got into the other ammo. The first shot opened the lever slightly. I shot a few of them, every one was ditto likewise. Common sense finally took over and I got leary. Glad I did, no doubt too much pressure. That rifle is still fine, but that ammo had to go.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life