Ot; Day trip to NH...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Ot; Day trip to NH...

Post by bigbore442001 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp34 ... 01/001.jpg

I have always been enamored by the Mt.Monadnock Region of southwestern NH. For the longest time I have been looking for property with some pipe dream of living in the area.The company I work for has another facility in the town with the image of that mountain in the background. I hope one day to ask for a transfer to that area but I doubt it will happen anytime soon. The economy probably won't allow for it in the near future.

Mary and I went out for breakfast to a sugar shack. I know I went off my South Beach Diet for the day but sometimes you need to do that. Nothing compares to the flavor of real maple syrup. Parker's is located in Mason NH just over the line on Brookline Road. I am somewhat familiar with the area as I have hunted it in the recent past. Mary bought a few gifts and then we ate. After that we took off and went down Route 9 towards Keene and then into Brattleboro Vermont. One big disappointment was the loss of a large general store. This place in Chesterfield NH has a lot of things including firearms. I remember eyeballing a nice new in the box Ruger 357 Maximum . Alas, some family from the middle east bought it out and revamped the entire place. Now they sell cigarettes and booze. Maybe I should have bought the Maxi ages ago when I had the chance. In Brattleboro, there is a food coop. I was able to get one of my favorite South Beach grains, so to speak. I bought a large bulk back of toasted buckwheat groats. I know some will go, eewww but I like them. They are a nice filler in many of my one pot creations. Along with some laundry detergent that is free of all the toxic goop that is in most off the shelf brands and we're done with shopping for staples. Mary needed a new printer for her computer. The old one was not compatable thus I bought one at Wally World. On the way home we too Route 10 through Winchester NH and made the mandatory stop at the gun shop. Mary stayed in the truck reading so I browsed for a bit. I was hoping to find some bullets or even a mold but no luck. As a rule this shop is well stocked and has some oddball stuff, but not this time. We soon were off and crossed into Northfield Massachusetts. I kept on going and noticed a number of homes for sale. It seemed as if every third house on this road had a for sale sign. Also what shocked me but then it didn't was that there is a large private school in Northfield for sale. Landvest has a sign out in front indicated that. I seem to recall a nasty scandal that probably resulted in some lawsuit and now they have to close. The place is up for sale for a cool 20 million.

I know of sixty acres for sale off this road and wanted to check it out. I drove up the road and saw the start of the property. Basically it is a hilltop and heavily forested with spruce and other hardwoods. I didn't walk around or anything like that as the road was still snowbound a tad. Ahh.Those oddball dreams again. In fact here are the details on it:

$90,000
0 poplar mountain road, erving, MA
Estimated Payment
$398 Per Month*
(Change Terms)
Check Rates

Type: Lot / Acreage
Zoning: Res Frontage: 1000
Lot Size: 2613600 Acreage: 60
Elem. School: * Days on Market: * MLS#: 70690676

A GREAT RECREATIONAL PARCEL BORDERING NORTHFIELD MOUTAIN PUMP STORAGE PROJECT WHICH HAS MILES OF DEVELOPED TRAILS FOR HIKING, HORSEBACK RIDING AND CROSS COUNTRY SKIING. ONLY ACCESS IN ON UNIMPROVED ABANDONED TOWN ROAD. IDEAL FOR FORESTRY MANAGEMENT. GREAT VIEWS, SOUTHERN EXPOSURE.

Any opinions?

We then took off further south through Millers Falls, Montague, Leverett and finally into the college town of Amherst. While there we headed west on route 9 to Northampton for a bite to eat. Unfortunately,Mary became somewhat ill and had some stomach trouble. It was late and so we headed home. All in all it was a nice day out and rather productive.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Ot; Day trip to NH...

Post by kimwcook »

By the description of the property and your desire to purchase some in the area I'm surprised you haven't committed. Of course I haven't seen the property only you can make that decision but to me the price seems appropriate even for around my area, let alone back east.
Old Law Dawg
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Not to be a wet blanket, but have you looked into the firearms laws inflicted on the subjects of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts? If you haven't, I think you should before buying property there.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I am a resident of Massachusetts thus pretty familiar. Most of the BS with the gun laws tends to be from town to town .
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Hey bigbore, you were in my 'hood. 5 years ago before Mortt's in Chesterfield quit selling guns, I asked how much for the 357 Max. $1000! It had been there for years. I wouldn't pay that much today. Don't mean to pee on your parade. Just got laid off my job in Jaffrey, the town I think you refer to for Monadnocks' home. Trader Johns in Winchester must have been another of your stops. He is quite the character. One day he is all chummy, another he'll tell you to fornicate off. Property taxes are high but we don't have sales or income tax. Life here has been good for me for the last 25+ years, but like most other places, it may not be all it appears. Still, I planted roots here & they run deep.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

Is the Perry White gun shop still going out in Rindge? I haven't been there in 20 years or so. Nice area the southwestern part of our state.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Perry Whites was still open last fall. He has been slowly closing for 3 years. His wife passed away in '08, his brother a few months ago. I'll check in on him this week sometime. He was pretty much down to ammo for sale & doesn't order anything anymore. Cash only. I have gotten some good deals on ammo from him. But I have been cleaning him out over the last 3 years of most of the good levergun ammo, alot of which I have shared with some on this site. I think he is open for something to do. I never see anyone else there when I go.
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

Yup. Stopped at Trader Johns. I was looking around but didn't see anything I could not live without. There was an older lady working the counter at the shop while I was there. Jaffrey. Hmm. I used to hunt off the powerline in Troy. I saw some nice ones but never got anything. I have some relatives who live in Jaffrey. They work at the prison in Massachusetts off Rte 140.Fitzwilliam is nice but I hear it was taken over by people from Massachusetts who failed to change their ways when they moved to a new area.