Marlin 1894C Microgroove/Ballard Models

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1894C Microgroove/Ballard Models

Post by Haycock »

Were all pre-safety 1894Cs made with Microgroove rifling, or did they switch back to Ballard rifling prior to introducing the safety?

Related question... possibly a religious one...

Any real diff between the two in terms of performance, with and without cast boolits?

Haycock
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

When did the safety come in?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

When did the safety come in?
Around the early to mid 80s I think.

Joe
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[Any real diff between the two in terms of performance, with and without cast boolits? ]

No. (Forgive me Lord, and Junior, too! :) )
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

So, the safety cam ein during the early 80's.......

What about the switch from Microgroove to Ballard?

Haycock
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Haycock wrote:So, the safety cam ein during the early 80's.......
Haycock
Certainly don't quote me on this as I'm working from a very shakey memory, from someone who only looks at Marlins in passing, but... I think it was the early-to-mid '90s in response to the Cowboy Action Shooting crowd. I know friends that purchased new ones in the late '80s were Micro-Groove, the change over was gradual with differrent calibers changing first or as introduced. Seems to me the .45 Colt were introduced in ???? and they were only ballard rifled. Maybe a nicely worded email to Marlin would elicit the information from a potentially knowledgeable source?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Griff wrote:
Haycock wrote:So, the safety cam ein during the early 80's.......
Haycock
Certainly don't quote me on this as I'm working from a very shakey memory, from someone who only looks at Marlins in passing, but... I think it was the early-to-mid '90s in response to the Cowboy Action Shooting crowd. I know friends that purchased new ones in the late '80s were Micro-Groove, the change over was gradual with differrent calibers changing first or as introduced. Seems to me the .45 Colt were introduced in ???? and they were only ballard rifled. Maybe a nicely worded email to Marlin would elicit the information from a potentially knowledgeable source?
Check. Thanks, Griff.

Haycock
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I bought an 1894S in .45 Colt new in October of '90. It had micro grove rifling.
Then in November of 96 I bought a new 1894 Cowboy (24" version) that had the Ballard rifling.

I don't know if this has any bearing on anything but that's what I know.

Joe