OT: Concealed carry vest.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Concealed carry vest.

Post by mklwhite »

The latest talk around the shop at work is concealed carry clothing. It going into summer time I'm thinking vest more so than those funk t-shirt type things that cost $50, you'd need to have a couple and how well would it hold up? So I saw this on Sportsman's Guide and was wondering if anyone is familiar with this type of rig. The thought also come up as to whether it would be better just to get a shoulder rig and that way you could wear it with any vest or jack or whatever, but I'm not familiar with shoulder rigs and are told that they aren't very comfortable.

PS: I'm kinda hacked at SG because they just up and deleted my ammo order after it being on back order for the last 4 months (I have been saying the "keep on back order" every time they asked.) without so much as a sorry or too bad for you message about them doing so.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: Concealed carry vest.

Post by Dave James »

A vest can work for you some of the time, I wear one during the day on a college campus, hang my keys on the "d" ring and carry my spare glasses in another pocket cut for rifle mags, every one who has shown a concern all ways ask "why the fishing vest" Other than that I rely on the Biker Shirts from "Dragonfly" and the Philippine "Wedding" type over shirts.

Take the time and look over you "AO" and see if the vest will fit in, if it does go for it.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

I had one of those vests and sent it back.
Things I didn't like about it:
1. Didn't have enough reinforcement to support the gun, even with a lighter gun, the vest sagged quite a lot under the arm.
2. With the vertical placement and location of the gun holster in the vest, it would take two hands and you might even have to ask your attacker to help you get your gun out.

Personally, I use one of the vests I already have (I have 3 leather vests I wear on cooler days while riding my Harley) and use one of the inside pockets with my pocket carry gun and holster.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I never thought a vest was an option in warm weather. Maybe moderate weather, but still too much for 80 degrees or more. I've just used a inside the pants holster, and leave whatever shirt I wear untucked. A T-shirt will easily conceal the inside holster/gun, and much more comfortable in hot weather.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

I appreciate the insight. I think ya'll just saved me some money.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Beings I wear a sidearm almost 24/7 and always while at work, I've tried almost every possible way of packing a sidearm during hot weather. I wouldn't wear a vest that didn't have a dedicated holster mounted in it. I've worn my stainless Colt Officer's Model in a Kramer's IWB holster while working narcs and in just one day outside the piece started to rust. I quit doing that. I've found a quality belt holster on a quality belt wearing a loose shirt over the top of a T-shirt is the best way for me. Either that or a shoulder holster.

That said, I almost always wear a vest over my piece during work. I have to interview kids and I go into a lot of schools. Wearing a piece in the open causes problems. One of my old partners walked from the office to the high school to get his pickup his son had drove to school that day. It caused the three schools in that area to go into lock down before it was figured out.

Plus, I like the advantage, as best I can play it, to work in my favor. During the cooler times of the year I wear a wool vest. During the hotter times, I wear a camera vest or tactical type.

Hope that helps.
Old Law Dawg
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

For a while there it got to where anytime I saw a photographer's vest on someone not festooned with cameras and other photographic equipment, I automatically assumed that person was packing iron.

I often wear vests, but in most instances they are not especially good for handgun concealment. They are either too short to cover the holster, or the armhole is low enough the grip is easily visible.

IMO, the very best cover garment a pistol packer can wear when casually dressed it a Guyaberra Shirt, aka Mexican Wedding Shirt.

These are long tailed short-sleeved shirts cut square at the bottom with four pockets, two on the chest and two at or a little below waist level.

Order these shirts a size or two larger than normal and you can conceal anything up to and including a 4" L-Frame Revolver with Jordan Trooper Grips, or your favorite shoulder holster.

Simply observe the common precautions about kneeling, bending, sitting and reaching and you will rarely be made for packing iron without the use of a metal detector or a pat-down.

You can get the Guyabera Shirts relatively plain, nearly all have at least some decorative pleating or appliques, or you can get them with fancy lacework and embroidery for dressier occasions.
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

mklwhite,
If you go to 5.11 website they sell a vest made to carry a handgun. Comes in different colors. Never tried one though.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

marlinman93 wrote:I never thought a vest was an option in warm weather. Maybe moderate weather, but still too much for 80 degrees or more. I've just used a inside the pants holster, and leave whatever shirt I wear untucked. A T-shirt will easily conceal the inside holster/gun, and much more comfortable in hot weather.
+1 - I tried custom made gunshirts and waistband holsters many years ago for summer wear. For all but the most discreet assignments or situations, a good Inside Waistband holster, a flat firearm, and a t-shirt are the way to go; easier to reach and therefore much safer to use; less expensive in the long run. And your gun shirt gets stinky pretty quick unless you buy two or more and keep the washer running.
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

It's a tough call! Through the winter and spring (right now) I usually wear a simply leather belt holster or a IWB holster by Milt Sparks, and then throw on a cowboy best or light jacket to cover it.

Now that its is warming up and getting muggy, ( coastal winds blowing in from the south don't cha know!) I am kinda slender and wear slacks and one long sleeve shirt tucked in and boots, so I am looking at one of the t-shirts from 511 tactical. I think I can get away with wearing a vest once in while, but when it hits that 95+ and humidity kicks in, it just seems to be too much. Abit concerned about the itchy issue from folks that have bought them, though.

I carry all 45's and do not want to go to a smaller caliber, but may have to. I do have a Bond derringer in 45LC that has and excellent wallet concealment holster, but there is NO swift way to get it out. And then it is only 2 rounds and ya got ta be close like 5 feet!

Great luck, consider it a way to get the economy moving again, by buying a couple of different shirts or vests to try out and wear.! :mrgreen:
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
lswiae
Levergunner

Post by lswiae »

Im wildly sorry that I resurrected an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.

Just my opinion, and worth exactly what you paid for it, but I would avoid using any internal gun pockets, or purchasing jackets with them as a feature.

All that I have ever tried will make the jacket sag appreciably, even with the lightweight micro .380s that weigh in the 10-13 oz. range. Not to mention poor retention and positioning of the gun in the pocket or "pocket holster".

I simply use any jacket or vest that I own as a cover garment. They will all work for IWB carry, may need a little longer (what we call "barn/chore jackets") for OWB, or consider a high-ride holster like the Sparks TK-1; obviously, a shorter slide can be concealed easier, with a shorter jacket, OWB than a full size service model.
our main choice is between "jacket you intend to wear all the time" and "jacket you will take off indoors." When it's below zero outside and 80F indoors, the parka or flight jacket has to come off, which makes it useless for concealment.

While they're not particularly fashionable in most places nowadays, the old-school "spors coat" https://secretstorages.com/best-concealed-carry-jacket/ is cut loose, normally has a single button which need not always be done up, and is generally very light weight, intended to be worn indoors or in hot weather as part of "a suit of clothes." You're supposed to wear a proper "overcoat" over a suit; those tend to be cut fairly long.

Sartorially, a sports coat is worn with a button-up shirt and no tie; a turtleneck is acceptable. Designer T-shirts are considered tacky. Sports coats are "singles" and don't have to match the pants, unlike a suit.

Of course, people might think you're a doorman or a wino if you go about wearing one, but your gun will be acceptably concealed.There are a lot of useful videos on this topic on Youtube. I'll leave one here for general information, I hope this helps someone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZM6YVdEAOA
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My every day rig with shorts and untucked T; Galco L129 WC and Taurus 709 slim. This is IWB for the 9mm Luger. While I would like 45 much better it's just really a bit much with so few clothes on. I'm an old fat man who uses a cane or staff almost all the time so ymmv.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doc Hudson wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:08 pm For a while there it got to where anytime I saw a photographer's vest on someone not festooned with cameras and other photographic equipment, I automatically assumed that person was packing iron.

I often wear vests, but in most instances they are not especially good for handgun concealment. They are either too short to cover the holster, or the armhole is low enough the grip is easily visible.

IMO, the very best cover garment a pistol packer can wear when casually dressed it a Guyaberra Shirt, aka Mexican Wedding Shirt.

These are long tailed short-sleeved shirts cut square at the bottom with four pockets, two on the chest and two at or a little below waist level.

Order these shirts a size or two larger than normal and you can conceal anything up to and including a 4" L-Frame Revolver with Jordan Trooper Grips, or your favorite shoulder holster.

Simply observe the common precautions about kneeling, bending, sitting and reaching and you will rarely be made for packing iron without the use of a metal detector or a pat-down.

You can get the Guyabera Shirts relatively plain, nearly all have at least some decorative pleating or appliques, or you can get them with fancy lacework and embroidery for dressier occasions.
Yep. I think I wear 'Polo Shirts' (I don't know because I just buy short-sleeve long/tall untuck-type shirts at GoodWill), but for the same reason. Short pants, as long as they have a belt, and one of those shirts, and I can carry my Redhawk or Desert Eagle if I really wanted to, but certainly my CCW gun(s) (1911's, Taurus-92's, Charter Bulldog mostly) are a piece of cake.

IF you want to use a 'garment' maybe consider one of the 'underwear' type shirts worn UNDER an un-tucked shirt like we are talking about, if you want to avoid wearing a belt (I like belts and always feel my pants are falling off without one, but I know some people don't like belts).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "