OT- Would you consider this hunting?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I guess technically it is, though not my kind of hunting.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ji,

First, I like your smiling avatar!

Now, I'm not going to condem the long range shooters as long as they kill game cleanly, I'm not going to condem the folks like me that get darn close either. I'm not going to condem those that hunt with .50 BMG and I'm not going to condem those that hunt with dogs and a knife.

I wouldn't hunt like that because that's not hunting that interests me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I admire the long shot, but it seems more like "shooting" than "hunting". Same as Hobie - not my place to condemn.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Not for me.

bogie
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Huntings a pretty broad term.
I think people need to shoot alot to make shots like that. Gotta take practice.
I like practicing getting closer to things I shoot.
Heck of a way to fill a tag, gotta wonder if they'd take that shot without atvs, rangefinders & such.
But yeah, its hunting.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

More like target/varmint shooting. Notice that they don`t show the wounded ones running away to never be seen again.
A light 5-7 mph wind will drift that bullet 10 ft at those extreme ranges.
:cry:
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Good shooting and range finding but no way would I consider it hunting.just like the local deer park where the "bawanna hunters" have feeders going all year and then sneak :shock: up in the tree (in full camo) about 25'.I can just imagine what the anti's will think...Jim.
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Beautiful looking rack on that Elk....a marvelous display of marksmanship, and a great hunt!!! :D :D :D
Last edited by PaperPatch on Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have no problems with long distance hunting, but not when there's enough cover to get close. It just seems like shooting, or varmint hunting if the cover allows a close approach, but the "hunter" doesn't want to do the work to get there.
It's really all relative, and it depends on the terrain. I hunt where we start a stalk at close to 1,000 yds., and often belly crawl to get as close as possible, and not spook the deer. Sometimes I can get within 100 yds., and other times I've seen from their body language that the deer are geting ready to exit, and I'm still 250-300 yds away. After crawling on my belly for 700+ yds. I will take the shot, if I can get a good rest, and feel it's going to be a clean kill.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Don't get me wrong as if I was there I would be celebrating with them but I wonder how often it goes wrong? I t seems a bit to far removed from pitching your whits with another animal for me. You still got to walk in and retreive so why take the risk. Na good luck to those fellers but give me a 94 or a 54 hawken, some rations, camp and a good back frame any day :wink: (Like what do I know living in crumbi England :oops: )
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

Not condoning nor condemning, just want to hear your feelings on this type of hunting. I know bow hunters, and dog hunters who don't think it very sporting of me to pop a pig at 100 yards with my Marlin 44 mag, too each his own. I do own a scoped model 70 30-06 but it sits in the gun vault most of the time, in my 12 years on Maui it never used on any hunts there. I may feel different if hunting antelopes on the open plains but I don't see that happening soon. I prefer to get within levergun range (under 200 but preferably under 100), and pass shots beyond this, my being fortunate enough not to have to worry about tags or closed seasons so no pressure to fill a tag before season ends.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- Would you consider this hunting?

Post by cubrock »

If the shooter is good enough to consistently make clean shots at those ranges, it doesn't bother me in the least. Finding shootable game animals even at those ranges still isn't a cake walk.
Last edited by cubrock on Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.........THE TWINS..........

Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Thats a good point Cubrock :!:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I had to retype this 4 times and the only positive thing I could come up with was nice shooting.

The last vid they try to justify long range "hunting", by saying you could not of gotten any closer. :roll:

I'll stick with tracks in the snow and long walks.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

Cubrock +1. I only know one individual any more that does the 1,000 yard shooting ... knew quite a few and a gunsmith that specialized in those rifles 20 years ago.
The practice, money, effort, and care that those guys put into their shots was impressive. Yes, they used surplus range finders and set up wind indicators in order to eliminate as many variables as possible when taking game. I didn't say hunting because that term may or may not apply as noted above. They sort of look at it as the same as being in a tree stand and watching a trail ... the trail is just a bit further away.
They had very few ever get away wounded because of their efforts. If a shot was off, the deer rarely went far and they could get a second shot to finish it since it wasn't usually spooked by noise or movement.
I personally like upclose for my shots but for them, 7 or 800 yards was close when compared to 11 or 1200.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I have a very good friend who has a custom built .338 Ultra something who talks all the time about being able to kill deer and elk at ranges in excess of umteen hunnert yards. He has never shot that rifle at over 300 yd. that I know of.
I told him a couple of years ago that he needs to spend a bunch of time with it at known ranges to practice and to insure his mill dot scope is doing what it was ment to.
I cringe at the thought he is out there shooting at game way beond his ability. It is not fair to the animals and just don`t impress me at all! :(
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

Do I think that is hunting? Absolutely!

To quote my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, grandfather:

"Them bow 'n' arrer types ain't hunters. Hell, they are just shootin' those animals. A real hunter would sneak up on 'em an spear 'em since we done since the beginning of time."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

FALPhil wrote:Do I think that is hunting? Absolutely!

To quote my great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, grandfather:

"Them bow 'n' arrer types ain't hunters. Hell, they are just shootin' those animals. A real hunter would sneak up on 'em an spear 'em since we done since the beginning of time."
:D

I agree with you & Hobie.

Not somthing I want, or CAN do, but I sure don't want somebody telling me I cant hunt Boar with a spear/sword either...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
joachim slim
Levergunner 2.0

hunting

Post by joachim slim »

when i could walk good i wouldnt have taken the shot. until the past couple yrs i never shot a deer that was more than 50yds away. now i dont know if i could see the deer at 700 yds without a good scope and spotting glasses. the past couple yrs ive shot my 2 bucks at about 200 yds. i shot a doe this yr at 225yds. i was useing a Leupold scope and it made a big defferance. my couisn wants me to get a 7mm Rem mag so he can set me up on one of his cornfields. shots there can be from 150 yds to 600 yds. if i get the rifle i will have to put a good scope on it and practice. right now i dont think i could make the shot at 600--700yds. maybe by deer season i will feel comfortable to about 450yds. over that i just dont know. do i consider it hunting...yes.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Excellent marksmanship, Ji. That's what it is. And it DOES take effort, in a different way than sneaking up on them in the big woods does. I can admire the effort it took to develop that type of proficiency with a rifle. Is it my style of hunting? NO. Can just anyone up and do it? Absolutely not. Most folks have a hard time putting five bullets on a sheet of typing paper at 100 yards, can you imagine what it'd be like trying to hit an antelope at 1000? It takes marksmanship and the ability to read the wind. A laser range finder's indispensable for this as well since 100 yards closer or farther makes a HUGE difference in bullet drop.

Is it hunting? Yes. Is it MY style of hunting? No.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

That is spectacular shooting for sure. I don't know that I would try it with anything besides paper though IMHO.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
The Lewis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by The Lewis »

To each his own, that's called freedom. But I'd rather see the whites of their eyes if I can.
Molon Labe
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

I am with most of you, I admire the skill it takes to shoot so well, and I don't begrudge anyone who can shoot that well, doing so. That said for myself I am not a huge fan of hunting at those distances as there is a very great margin for error and personally I hate to merely wound an animal.

I have taken, and made a handful of shots over 300 yards, when I was shooting regularly, it was not a particularly difficult shot during those times. Today while I am out of practice I would hesitate to take a 300 yard shot. (Most of my shots back there were from 75 to 150 yards).
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That definitely IS NOT my kind of shooting, er, hunting, either. Injun up on 'em is what gets me goin'. If I get close enough to drop an elk cleanly with a .33 Winchester, so be it. If it doesn't happen, that's fine, too.

I spent 4 hours in my blind this morning just calling ducks and watching them work. I took one shot and got one drake pintail, which is good enough for me. Hunting is not always about killing, it's about being out there enjoying nature.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

No, I don't like it. I have done enough long range shooting in my life to know there are too many variables that come into play at ranges past 400 yards, especially with a cold barrel and no bench rest.----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I have fooled with guns since I was a little boy and have seen a lot of shooting both good and bad. I know one person who can make accurate long range shots ON THE FIRST SHOT. That is the big difference. He is not a regular guy though. He is an Army trained sniper and lives and breathes long range shooting. He makes some incredible first shot kills. While I kill all my deer at no more than 200 yards and mostly at 50-75 yards, for him a 600 yard shot is a chip shot. He is a different breed but a fine marksman and an ethical hunter.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

What a display of marksmanship! Some outstanding shots. I might not try it myself, at least not without a lot more practice.

No leash, no high-fenced pen, no high-protein feeder. All they did was avoid a long stalk. As long as the kill is clean, and the hunt is otherwise ethical and legal, who am I to disparage another man's hunting strategy?

In addition, they were taking game for consumption, not stealing racks and backstraps and leaving the rest to rot.

Even at 1000+ yards, they still had to field-dress and haul those big ***'s out of there.

Yep. I think that could honestly be called hunting.

:)
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

I have at times hunted like this my self with adequate caliber rifle it tackes alot of trianing to consitently hit targets at these ranges.

more annimals would be lost by inexperinced people unloading 10rounds from there sks in the genral dirtion of animal
I have seen this
win92
Levergunner 2.0

Extreme long range

Post by win92 »

The problem that can arise from this type of hunting Is that no matter how practiced you are or what kind of equipment you invest in to get the job done .The variables are larger and the room for error is MUCH greater. IF the masses start to think this is easy then you will have lots of ammuntion for the anti hunters to start their work. No doubt it can be done. Please don't express the idea that its easy. My guess is 95% of the hunters out there couldn't make a reliable hit past 300yds. I'll get off my soap box now.
bunklocoempire
Senior Levergunner

Post by bunklocoempire »

Lot of good thoughts here. If your eating the meat I'll call it hunting, not my bag even if I could afford the equipment, and I do appreciate those shots!. For myself hunting and my definition comes down to how hungry one is, or game managment, and nothing wrong feeding a neighbor who could use it. Shooting for me, would be vermin or pest that I'm not going to eat or use.

I think hungry determins a couple of things: How to take the game and the "quick kill" factor. For me hunting is not a sport but there is sport in hunting if that makes any sense. For others hunt/shoot find sport as you like.

If it's an individuals private land they can shoot/hunt however they like, if it's shared land try respect the ones sharing it and the local traditions (depending on how hungry you are :wink: of course you could always ask for the locals help and appreciate a new way of doing things) .

Bunkloco
“We, as a group, now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live in ignorance, once you become knowledgeable you have an obligation to do something about it.” Ron Paul
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

I would rather see this type of long range hunting, than a deer being chased to death and often ravished from a pack of mangy dogs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
Rafe Covington
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rafe Covington »

Excellent shooting, not my idea of hunting. Just my opinion.
Death Before Dishonor
Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

:o I WOULD WORRY ABOUT THOSE THAT TRY THAT ...BUT COULDN'T SHOOT AS WELL, AND THE POTENTIAL FOR WOUNDING IS VERY GREAT... PACO :(
PACO/OWNER
James Riley
Levergunner

Post by James Riley »

I don't call that hunting. To me, hunting is: 1. The art of locating that which is difficult to locate (that's why they call it "hunting"); and 2. Matching my basic predatory skills against a prey's senses.

That guy could have been shooting a herford with no appreciable difference.

There is an old saying to the effect that just as the leg of the deer is chisled by the tooth of the wolf, so too the tooth of the wolf is chisled by the leg of the deer. That's evolution.

When I hunt, I try to ensure there is a lot of chisling going on.

If I call an air strike in on a herd of elk from ten clicks out, I have sharpened my combat skills, but I've contributed nothing to the hunt.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

well i see is as hunting. not my particular cup of tea as i don't have the skill to shoot reliably past 400 yds. i have read those that do it and it is amazing the work they put into it. there is a website http://www.longrangehunting.com/index.php that hosts those that can and so shoot those distances.

don't knock it till you try it. but only with the right equipment and practice time.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

Very impressive shooting...But I wouldn't try it..I'd hate to see a limping elk running off...
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

It's as much hunting as the guys who shoot 'em 30 yards away under their feeder.
Slow is just slow.
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

The only unknown here is how often the guy can do this. There are people that can do it every time, I'm not one of them. Congrats on a good clean LONG range kill.
James Riley
Levergunner

Post by James Riley »

cas wrote:It's as much hunting as the guys who shoot 'em 30 yards away under their feeder.
True. Or as we call it when the cattle are fat: "On the farm slaughter."
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

cas wrote:It's as much hunting as the guys who shoot 'em 30 yards away under their feeder.
you beat me to it. how is it hunting when you build a shooting house and sit in it all day hoping to ambush a deer that comes feeding in a food plot or under a corn feeder.

hunting is learning and excelling at harvesting an animal. whether it is by:

taking one and knifing it,
slinging an arrow,
sitting for hours and shooting one that feeds under a corn feeder,
slipping, stalking and then taking your animal,
or
spending hours perfecting a load, practicing on shooting in the field, then spotting an animal and calculating the shot, possibly shooting a spotter, and then making the kill.

it is all hunting.
James Riley
Levergunner

Post by James Riley »

I remember several years ago some servicemen were busted for machine gunning a herd of deer from a helocopter outside of Colorado Springs. That'll put meat on the table. So will spot-lighting and poison.

We all draw our lines in different places, but when it comes down to it, society draws the line at the law. If it's legal, from running deer with dogs in GA, to sniping from a klick out, to sitting over bait, still hunting, or whatever floats your boat, then I guess you can call it hunting if you want.
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

With regards to long distance, it boils down to what you can consistently do that will produce a quick and humane kill. I am good to about 200 yds with a rest but I have a buddy who lives with his 300 Win Mag and he is deadly to 400 yds, every day of the world. He has a natural range out to that distance on his property and knows where to hold. Coyotes or anything else are not safe.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

I own a 50BMG, 8mm Mag, 300Win Mag, and even load 110gr. bullets in a 243WSSM. I've shot the BMG out to 1500 yards, and some of the others out to 900 on some old strip jobs around here. It takes ALOT of practice to pull off shots like that consistently. Even with the mystical BMG who's trajectory is about as flat as a rainbow, one mistake on wind or range and the shot is off a country mile. We need to remember that people also killed buffalo cleanly at ranges over 1000 yards with Sharps fifles in the 1800's so long range hunting/shooting is nothing new. I think if you live with your rifle, and you have the supply of ammo to shoot it enough to become proficent with it, and are comfortable with long ranges by all means go for it. With long range shooting (500+) there is just too much that can go wrong.
FALPhil
Levergunner 1.0

Post by FALPhil »

James Riley wrote:There is an old saying to the effect that just as the leg of the deer is chisled by the tooth of the wolf, so too the tooth of the wolf is chisled by the leg of the deer. That's evolution.

When I hunt, I try to ensure there is a lot of chisling going on.
Does the hair get cought between your teeth? :lol: :lol: :lol:
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Hunting?

Post by rjohns94 »

I recken it is. Not for me but I won't offer devisive comments which split rather than unite.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
old06
Levergunner 1.0

Post by old06 »

I have made a few 300 plus yard shots but it was the only shot when we did it. This year 1 doe at 80 yards another at 100 yards and 2 coyotes one at 130 and the other at 150 the longest shot I have on one of my stands is 300 + yards do I take them at that range not if I don’t have to I let one nice buck walk this year at that range and if I would have shot it I would still call it hunting
Psalm 16:1 Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Not condeming, but it ain't hunt'n. It's shooting, kinda like shoot'n pigs in a pen.