Slightly OT- NRA

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Slightly OT- NRA

Post by Gun Smith »

My Sunday paper had a commentary from an ex NRA employee about the changes to the NRA mission and, in particular, fund raising. Had any of you seen this article in your papers? It's picture of an organization out of control and seemingly interested more in paying it's president, Wayne LaPierre, over $960,000 a year among other things, than doing it's lobbying work. NRA's almost weekly dunning me for donations finally caused me to drop my membership. The article doesn't paint a very pretty picture of the current state of affairs at the NRA.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Wayne LaPierre gets $960,000.00 a year! If that's true then I've got a letter to write. Does someone know how we can find out what the staff is paid at the NRA? I'd sure like to know now that you've piqued my curiosity.
Old Law Dawg
win40-82
Levergunner 2.0

Post by win40-82 »

I would say he's worth every penny. You take his job, hours, travel time and responsibility to the NRA members and I think you'll soon find that he earns every bit of that. Given the same responsibilities in aother corporation of the same size and scope he most likely woul be making much more. IMHO.
there is no such thing as a miss if you still have ammo
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

win40-82 wrote:I would say he's worth every penny. You take his job, hours, travel time and responsibility to the NRA members and I think you'll soon find that he earns every bit of that. Given the same responsibilities in aother corporation of the same size and scope he most likely woul be making much more. IMHO.
Yeah. I'm SOOO glad that he's getting paid AT ALL to destroy the constitution - albeit bit by bit - and relegate my family to Cattle Cars.

My grandfather shot people like him every day from 1939-1945.

Never Again. :evil:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I agree with win40-82. He is worth it!
I have been a life member since 1970 and haven`t had a piece of mail asking for money in over a year. All my other stuff,mag.etc. keeps on comming. :wink:
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

kimwcook wrote:Wayne LaPierre gets $960,000.00 a year! If that's true then I've got a letter to write. Does someone know how we can find out what the staff is paid at the NRA? I'd sure like to know now that you've piqued my curiosity.
It doesn't matter how much they are paid. They have Stabbed the Constitution in the back.

WWW.NRAWOL.NET
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Old Ironsights,

I just visited your link.

I'm going to spend some time there. Hopefully we can help make needed changes using the information it contains. However, I would urge that this be handled with careful purpose and constructively. We don't want to toss the baby with the bath water.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I firmly believe that we can't change the organization from the outside and just became a Life Member in support of that belief. There are others who did not support HR 2640 but if you want a board member who will work to stop abuse of the membership, I will now also be available as well as working within the organization (as we must).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

I admit that I've never been a member of the NRA nor felt inclined to join. Perhaps it's my way of thinking that there should be absolutely no groups lobbying Congress at all to obtain support for their cause. In this day and age it appears that the Congress critters work for "special interests" instead of "We The People". I don't think that was what the Founders intended, but such is life unfortunately.
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Hobie,

That's good news, keep spreading it.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:I firmly believe that we can't change the organization from the outside and just became a Life Member in support of that belief. There are others who did not support HR 2640 but if you want a board member who will work to stop abuse of the membership, I will now also be available as well as working within the organization (as we must).
I am also a Lifer. And if I had any way to put the current administration against the Wall I would.

I will, AGAIN vote against every one of them who didn't speak out against HR 2640.

Traitors all.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Hobie wrote:I firmly believe that we can't change the organization from the outside and just became a Life Member in support of that belief. There are others who did not support HR 2640 but if you want a board member who will work to stop abuse of the membership, I will now also be available as well as working within the organization (as we must).
Excellent point, Hobie.

Kind of like Martin Luther - he remained a part of the Roman Church until they kicked him out. He was calling folks back to the path of the forefathers of faith and did so within the organization. Many heard the call and turned back towards the origins of their faith, and the rest, as they say, is history. If we can convince folks to turn back to the freedoms our founding fathers wanted for us, then perhaps we can even turn the NRA around - by working within it for change. It's not an easy task, but it's an important one.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AmBraCol wrote:
Excellent point, Hobie.

Kind of like Martin Luther - he remained a part of the Roman Church until they kicked him out. He was calling folks back to the path of the forefathers of faith and did so within the organization. Many heard the call and turned back towards the origins of their faith, and the rest, as they say, is history. If we can convince folks to turn back to the freedoms our founding fathers wanted for us, then perhaps we can even turn the NRA around - by working within it for change. It's not an easy task, but it's an important one.
Neil Knox.

Leroy Pyle.

Etc, Etc.

I'll stay until they kick me out too. I give it a Year.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

Lord knows it could use some changin'

Hobie, when are you going to run?
I'll vote for you!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

DDude wrote:I admit that I've never been a member of the NRA nor felt inclined to join. Perhaps it's my way of thinking that there should be absolutely no groups lobbying Congress at all to obtain support for their cause. In this day and age it appears that the Congress critters work for "special interests" instead of "We The People". I don't think that was what the Founders intended, but such is life unfortunately.
You don't think that WE THE PEOPLE are entitled to band together to lobby our representatives? Just how else do you expect the "We the People" to compete with money unless it is in groups? The reality is that only masses of people beat masses of money.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

As a soldier in a fight you shouldn't be looking for glory, or concerned with you place in the fight. If it is your time to carry ammo to those doing the shooting, or food, or to hurl grenades or to fill sandbags to fulfill a plan that will win the battle, to win the war, then that is what you do. It isn't always pleasant, it is seldom glorious, it is never easy, but sometimes it is as necessary as breathing. When you do less than you could have done, you have done not only your faction but yourself a disservice.
Sincerely,

Hobie

DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

Hobie wrote:
DDude wrote:I admit that I've never been a member of the NRA nor felt inclined to join. Perhaps it's my way of thinking that there should be absolutely no groups lobbying Congress at all to obtain support for their cause. In this day and age it appears that the Congress critters work for "special interests" instead of "We The People". I don't think that was what the Founders intended, but such is life unfortunately.
You don't think that WE THE PEOPLE are entitled to band together to lobby our representatives? Just how else do you expect the "We the People" to compete with money unless it is in groups? The reality is that only masses of people beat masses of money.
We as people are entitled to talk to our representatives. Unfortunately the individual has little chance of being heard these days since lobbying groups with $$ get the attention. The Constitution doesn't read, "We the Lobbyist of the United States...

The Congress Critters are more inclined to set policy, draft legislation, do this, do that for "special interests" instead of THE PEOPLE. Why do trade groups, corporations, etc. have the attention of our Congress Critters whereas we as individuals can't even get a reply from them if we write or call? The Constitution is for PEOPLE, not groups, not special interests. Isn't that what the entire issue is of the Heller case before SCOTUS is all about? That the 2A is an "individual" right and not a "collective" right.

As far as I'm concerned the NRA and the Brady group are both wrong in lobbying Congress along with thousands of other special interest groups. But then, like in most things in life, it all comes down to $$.

Sorry I'm an idealist. Fortunately I'm also a realist so I don't sweat it too much. :)
homefront
Levergunner 3.0

Post by homefront »

Sorry I'm an idealist. Fortunately I'm also a realist so I don't sweat it too much
Then the rest of us will sweat for you.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:As a soldier in a fight you shouldn't be looking for glory, or concerned with you place in the fight. If it is your time to carry ammo to those doing the shooting, or food, or to hurl grenades or to fill sandbags to fulfill a plan that will win the battle, to win the war, then that is what you do. It isn't always pleasant, it is seldom glorious, it is never easy, but sometimes it is as necessary as breathing. When you do less than you could have done, you have done not only your faction but yourself a disservice.
I just wish there was a UCMJ for Deriliction of Duty for the "soldiers" I've been hauling bullets for. :evil:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

homefront wrote:
Sorry I'm an idealist. Fortunately I'm also a realist so I don't sweat it too much
Then the rest of us will sweat for you.
I wish you well then. Sad that you must fight your own government to keep the right God gave you of self preservation and the Founders reaffirmed with the 2A.

I think I'll go start a lobby group to repeal the 16th. It's my money, not the .govs who feels it's within their right to rape my wallet each Friday. I could buy more guns if I had more $$. And a new flat screen tv. And a new laptop... and a new car... I wonder how much income tax George Washing paid? Or Madison? Jefferson? :wink:
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

In actuality the real reason politicians fear the NRA is not the money they raise (the carrot), it's the boots on the ground they can influence at the polls (the stick). You always need both for best effect. Hobie is right, the only way to change the NRA is from within. If Hobie wants to run for board then I will vote for him.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I hate to say it, but for an executive in an organization as large as the NRA is, that is not that much money. The NRA does not issue stock, so there is no compensation from that angle.

That being said, I can think of a lot of guns I'd be getting if I had a salary like that!

I agree with Hobie 110% - change it from within. The NRA, for all of it's faults, is still our best counter to those who would strip us of all of our firearms in a instant if they had half the chance. I am a member of many of the pro-gun groups - and will stay that way. As noted, all of them keep one another honest...
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Gues its not so much. Seems like he could donate $900,000 to Ron Paul & still have more left than I end up with in a year. :lol:
I dont think he's any better than any other politician & like most of them I dont think he has earned his keep. But, at least his taxpayers are volunteers, too bad he's not. A real patriot would be.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I do have to laugh at all the people who claim to have let their memberships laps due to getting so many mailings asking for money.

I toss them in the trash. Yeah... it's a real horrible thing to endure. :roll:
Slow is just slow.