Different rookie, different question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Different rookie, different question

Post by shooter »

I'm not new to shooting, but have a fairly recent interest in leverguns. I've never been able to find out the purpose of a saddle ring. What's its purpose? Probably an ignorant question, but I figure this is a good place to ask it.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

For mounted Cavalry folk to hang the carbine from their saddle - ergo: Saddle Ring Carbine.
Last edited by Pete44ru on Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Different rookie, different question

Post by DDude »

shooter wrote:I'm not new to shooting, but have a fairly recent interest in leverguns. I've never been able to find out the purpose of a saddle ring. What's its purpose? Probably an ignorant question, but I figure this is a good place to ask it.
It was meant to keep the rifle with the rider should he lose his seat in the saddle. Horse might get away, but the rifle stays with the rider.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

They look good too. 1886.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: Different rookie, different question

Post by Terry Murbach »

It was meant to keep the rifle with the rider should he lose his seat in the saddle. Horse might get away, but the rifle stays with the rider.[/quote]

DUDE, I THINK YOU'RE GETTING THE SADDLE RING CARBINE CONFUSED WITH THE SADDLE SUPPOSITORY CARBINE WHICH DID STAY WITH THE RIDER IF HE LOOSES HIS SEAT....
THE SADDLE RING CARBINE JUST HUNG THERE ON THE SADDLE HORN AWAITING THE RETURN OF THE RIDER....
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

Not exactly a saddle ring per se but close enough. Clip of sling attached to weapon, sling slung on rider. Rider loses his saddle he retains possession of his weapon. At least that's the way I've always figured it out to be which made sense in the event a rider had his mount shot out from beneath him or he simple lost his seat in the heat of battle. Not having ever served in a calary unit I couldn't say firsthand if this is the case or not.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

+1 on what dude said. The 1863 Sharps Military Carbine had the ring mounted on the left side of the receiver where it meets the stock. Civil War Cavalry Soldiers wore a sling that went over head and rested on one shoulder while the other side went under the arm. It prevented them from loosing control of their weapon when riding. Rather than having a scabbard, the muzzle was placed into a boot that mounted on the right / rear side of a McClellan Saddle and held the weapon in place until needed. On the 94 models, I think it is mostly just an orniment these days, however I am sure back in the day it was not uncommon to see a saddle string holding the rifle securely in the scabbard.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

As found in the book "Packing Iron"

KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Saddle ring
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A saddle ring is a metal ring attached to the receiver of a rifle or carbine allowing it to be tied to a saddle or used with a special sling.[1][2] Saddle rings could be attached directly to the firearm, or in some cases to a saddle ring bar, which allowed the saddle ring to slide along the action, such as on the British Enfield P1856, a short cavalry version of the Pattern 1853 Enfield used in the American Civil War.[3][4] Saddle rings are most commonly found on lever action rifles and other firearms of the late 1800s and early 1900s that were suitable for use on horseback.[1]

References
1. a b GunTec Dictionary definition of "saddle ring". Midway USA. Retrieved on 2007-09-07.
2. US 1885 Carbine Sling. Retrieved on 2007-09-07.
3. Pattern 1856 Enfield Carbine. Retrieved on 2007-09-07.
4. GunTec Dictionary definition of "saddle ring bar". Midway USA. Retrieved on 2007-09-07.
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Guess you could do as you liked with them. :lol:
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Two points....

Then the sharps and the spencer don't have saddle rings, they have belt rings.

Don't site Wikipedia as a reference, because it's meaningless. It says whatever you want it to, you can go an edit it.

I won't go crazy on my "Wiki rant" other than to say that common belief and popular opinion don't make facts. Wikipedia will wind up being the worst source of revisionist history that the world has ever known.
Slow is just slow.