OT- Connected w/ my Higgins today

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Connected w/ my Higgins today

Post by Andrew »

I was able to go hunting this morning with my buddy Dave and we had a good time. We went after the ever illusive tree rat with marginal success.

We walked forever before I saw the first one, which got a taste of my J.C. Higgins bolt-gun promptly. He was not as dumb as he looked for he crawled into his hole moments before passing. Nothing but a fluffy red tail hanging out to taunt us :evil: . Oh well, he got the "last laugh" I guess.

The next was not as difficult, thankfully. He got it in the back and then proceeded to climb up the tree. Meanwhile I was messing w/ the shotgun trying to get the bolt to cycle in another round. :wink: :? :x

Didn't matter though, while I was starring at my gun in bewilderment, he went "thud-thud" out of the tree. :D I was happy too 'cause he was a big one, nice and fat.

I only got one squill but I got to know my gun more, unfortunatly. :? I will clean it some time and inspect it's parts for burrs/wear, hopefully I can get it more reliable.

Other than that, I really like the gun. I am still trying to figure out why bolt-action shotguns are so cheap/unpopular :?:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I had purchased a Mossberg 835 12 ga that I just knew would be my dream shotgun. However, I hated the long reach since I am only 5'7" and the receive is so long due to 3 1/2 shells. I just sold it and purchased a J.C. Higgins 583 bolt action and love it.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I have 2 583's, horsesoldier.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog