Need some help with a 1894 Marlin .25-20

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Need some help with a 1894 Marlin .25-20

Post by kentdep »

I found one in good shape. It is a newer gun that I found in the used rack in one of the local gun shops.

I have a soft spot for the old varmint calibers and thought this one might be fun to have. I talked to a friend about it and he said that he would like it too but the caliber isn't very useful. I know that it isn't a deer class round but I would think that it would kill a coyote quite easily and mild loads would make it good for rabbits?

What do you fellow lever guys think of this? I have a Marlin CBC .38 and my wife's .32 could do the job too for that matter. Or maybe I should get it for the wife for Christmas.

Jay
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

kentdep,

I've never fired a 25-20 in anything. But I'll say this. What is useless to one person might be just what a different person needs.

I say, if you want it - buy it.

Get the wife something else you want it. :wink:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Kentep, I have a Marlin cl 32-20 and it quickly became a favorite. several of the members here have 25-20's and I'm sure they will be along soon. :) hang on.Jim.
Guncase
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Guncase »

My Winchester 25-20 is one of my favorite rifles. It is just plain fun to shoot. It is easy on the ears, has no recoil, and is cheap to reload. It is not a great choice for deer, but I have killed a small buck with it. I have not tried it on coyotes yet, but I believe it would be ideal. I do know that it works very well on gophers, ground squirrels, and rabbits. BUY IT! you will not be sorry.
" I never went to college, but I sure paid for my education."
A favorite quote from my Grandfather.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Hey Kentdep, They don't make 'em anymore. Anytime you buy a quality out-of-print gun and take care of it, you won't loose any money. After a few years, you will make money and have a toy at the same time. Good as money in the bank. I have a Marlin CL 25-20 and its a tackdriver with the Lyman 70 gr fpgc in front of 5 gr. of Unique for about 1600 fps. Sometimes I use it as my pistol calibered levergun for NRA silhouette. I have shot a few crows with it and if the shot hits right, it splits 'em in half. ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

Thanks for the information guys. I had a chance to buy one a couple of years ago and I passed it up and I was bummed at myself for doing that. I happen to be a big fan of Marlin lever rifles and would like to add one of these to the collection. I left the store with it in the hold rack until after Christmas. So I have a couple of days left before I have to make up my mind.

Sixgun, How do I get my hands on some of those Lyman bullets? I do have a nice pile of lead in my basement but I don't have casting equipment. Maybe I should start buying some.

I got to believe that a 70grain bullet at 1600 fps would be murder on squirrels, rabbit, woodchucks and coyotes.

Jay
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I too have been thinking my next lever would be a .25-20. I hadn't thought about a Marlin! In addition to the 1894, did they make any other models in this caliber? :D
Comal Forge
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Comal Forge »

Like the 32-20, it will shine if handloaded. It's a great small game caliber and in a pinch, you could headshoot a deer under the right circumstances. I owned one about 20 years ago in an old Marlin 1894 and we regularly hunted raccoons at night with it.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have both a Marlin 94 and a Winchester 1892 in 25-20. They are both rifles. I love them on anything below deer and hogs here in Central Texas. My favorite thing to do is go after spring turkey with a 25-20 shot to the head. They work fine on Coyotes. The Marlin is lighter and shorter but they both are a ball to shoot.
"That'll Be The Day"
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I had one that belonged to a friend for a while to work with. I liked it.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Well it's not what I'd call the do it all cartridge, but it surely has it's place on small game, or just fun plinking. I would not reccommend the .25-20 to someone who didn't reload, as ammo is not cheap, and it's not available at every sporting goods store.
But if you want a fun shooter, and you like to reload, it's a great little cartridge. Almost as good as my favorite .32-20! :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
kentdep
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kentdep »

Thanks for the information and opinions guys. I think that I will get it. I have an affinity for small game hunting and have a collection of guns suitable for that, even though I probally only need one or two. I am sure that isn't uncommon with you guys either. :D

Jay
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Ysabel Kid wrote:I too have been thinking my next lever would be a .25-20. I hadn't thought about a Marlin! In addition to the 1894, did they make any other models in this caliber? :D
They made a very few model 1889 25/20's but mostly 1894s & 94's.

I'v got one about put together. I need to get the barrel lined & installed so I can fit wood to it. Looks like it'll be fun to play with & cant see why it wont do for rabbits & other small game maybe up to coyotes.
spurgon
Levergunner 2.0

Jordan buck

Post by spurgon »

kentdep,
It seems the 25-20 will work on deer. Link is to worlds record typical whitetail.
spurgon

http://www.burnettcounty.com/tourism/jordanbuck.html