A Gunshow Happy Dance

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

A Gunshow Happy Dance

Post by Pete44ru »

I attended the Concord, NH gunshow yesterday, sold a few guns right-quick, and then spotted what turned out to be an "H" prefix (1951) Marlin M39a tagged at $210 on a dealer's table ! :shock:

I was so stunned, that I didn't even attempt to dicker with him - I just ponied up ! :P

It does need a little TLC, but nothing I haven't handled B4 - It's certainly in much better condition than the 1946-er I bought a couple of years ago for $350. At least this one doesn't have any rust pitting or wood gouges anywhere.

Now, even though the tang's already factory D/T'd, I gotta find a nice, compact side peep for it - or, maybe I'll get a Skinner ! I don't want to D/T the top for the Skinner, though - the side's factory D/T'd for the peep.

My son has his digi camera, off on a Caribou trek in Northern Quebec, for the next week or so - so no pics yet (sorry).
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats; not that I know beams 'bout 'em. But the thought of a Marlin 39A has been growin' on me fer some time.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Old fanny burp that I am, I only glommed onto my first one a few years ago - after several 9422's & BL-22's - and was really surprised at their accuracy, compared to what I've shot B4.
Based on the two, I've shot, they're easily twice as accurate with the issue iron sights as any 9422 or BL-22 I've shot. (I've never scoped an M39)

IMHO, they're as accurate (if not moreso) than most non-target bolt-action .22's.
Last edited by Pete44ru on Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

The 9422, BLR22 and 39 are different in feel and such but all are wonderful. I like the 39 best because it gives a better, to my way of thinking, mount for a receiver sight.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Wow!!! Congrats. That's an amazing price for any shootable 39a.