What Is the Best Deer Hunting Sate?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

What Is the Best Deer Hunting Sate?

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, an aside, I thin I am going to hunt deer exclusively. Rabbits are too smart for me, quail are too fast, etc.

So there is California and the ammo ban. What is the best deer hunting state?

I would look for:

Long season

Ability to take any deer, doe, spike, fork or better, etc.

Liberal attitude towards hunting in general.

Wide latitude in carrying sidearms.

What is the best state?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

Mississippi has more deer per square mile than any other I believe.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
DDude
Levergunner 1.0

Post by DDude »

I'm not a hunter so I really couldn't tell you. However, as a truck driver I'd have to say I see more roadkill in southern MN and WI than any other state which in my mind equates to higher populations of deer and the likelihood of bagging one of the critters. :)

I'd recommend southeast Oklahoma, in particular the area around Antlers where I call home, but last I heard the deer here headed down to Texas. Greener pastures and all. And no, I don't have a deer track running across my five acres. That's a trail my dog made chasing squirrels. :wink:
Last edited by DDude on Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Check out Alabama, I heard the bag limit is a deer a day there!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

GA.

10 does, (which somehow include button-bucks,) and 2 bucks.
One of the bucks can be a spike, a fork, or whatever, so long as antler is 3 inches. The other has to be a "quality" buck. 8-pointer or better.

Archery starts Sept.9 and goes to Oct. 14th, then it's two weeks of black powder, then rifle goes until Dec 31st.
Then in most counties, it goes back to archery until Jan 31st.

That's when most of us go hog hunting, as it lasts until March.
Then turkeys!

GA is a very gun and hunter freindly state, but you have to either hunt federal/state owned wildlife management areas, (WMAs) or know someone with private land to either lease you need written permission.

Pros and cons.... Pros and cons...
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

South Carolina
In the Low Country the rifle season starts around Aug. 15 and runs till Jan 1. One dear a day limit. It is hot and lots of bugs in Aug. though. There is a tremendous amount of timber country in SC due to the amount of paper mill land, it makes for great hunting. There are a lot of large clubs with very reasonable rates. I belonged to one which has 200 menbers but we lease 30,000 acres from paper mills. The annual dues are only $800.00/yr.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Wisconsin has terrible deer hunting......we only have 'bout 1.8 million deer.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

If I could pick only 1 State, without hesitation it would be Montana. I hunt there every year, as I have a brother there. The season starts in October, or early September if you hunt with a bow, and lasts to the end of November. Unlimited doe tags in some areas, your choice of Whitetails, or Mule Deer, any size, and if you fill early you can chase Elk, and other game. Heres what I'm talking about...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IHO, The best deer hunting state is unconsious - You know - where someone just goes for a walk in the woods and trips over a Booner. :wink: :roll: :lol:
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

sobenk -

Get yourself a deer tag for one of the CA "C Zones" -- not affected by the lead ban. Lots of nice deer in the Northern part of the state. Go up to OR and get a tag there. I've already set up a deer hunt for next year up near Bly, OR. NV has some nice deer hunting too.

Where (approximately) are you in CA? Anywhere North of the line (Modesto more or less) in this map is open for lead ammo.

Even though I'm going up to OR next year for one of "fatboy's" deer, I'm still going to put in for a deer tag for a CA "X Zone" and if I don't draw one, I'll get an over-the-counter tag for one of the "C Zones".
ED
Yer never too old
cjm135
Levergunner 1.0

Post by cjm135 »

Don't listen to Dastook, there's no deer in South Carolina. The season is so long to give the hunter a chance to even see a deer. I think there are two doe and one buck left and the DNR hauls them around from county to county.

He is right about the bugs. Big BUGS and lots of them. Also, he forgot to tell you about the snakes. Big SNAKES and lots of them. Oh, there are Alligators too. Big ALLIGATORS, and lots of them. Watch out for quick sand. Big areas of quick sand, and lots of it. Then there is the poison ivy patches. So if I were you I'd scratch South Carolina of your list. :)
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

There's always Texas. That's where I'm from and where I love to hunt. The hunting in New Mexico sucks. You have to draw out and you only get one deer, and the season is only five days long. There's some good hunting in Texas, and in some counties I think the limit is up to 6 or 7 deer with different combinations of bucks and does depending on the county. The gun season runs from beginning of Nov. to begginning of Jan.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

cjm135 wrote:Don't listen to Dastook, there's no deer in South Carolina. The season is so long to give the hunter a chance to even see a deer. I think there are two doe and one buck left and the DNR hauls them around from county to county.

He is right about the bugs. Big BUGS and lots of them. Also, he forgot to tell you about the snakes. Big SNAKES and lots of them. Oh, there are Alligators too. Big ALLIGATORS, and lots of them. Watch out for quick sand. Big areas of quick sand, and lots of it. Then there is the poison ivy patches. So if I were you I'd scratch South Carolina of your list. :)
Nope, Louisiana is way worse than South Carolina for deer hunting. For one thing the season is only about 4 months long. And the limit is only 6 deer. That's 3 bucks and 3 does. And you can use pistols. Who'd want to deer hunt with a pistol? And if you use a rifle, it's got to be centerfire. No rimfires. And South Carolina ain't got BUGS and SNAKES and ALLIGATORS at all compared to Louisiana. You could probably use a South Carolina ALLIGATOR for Louisiana SNAKE bait. You'd probably have to pay $400 a year for a hunting club membership here in Louisiana, too, especially if you didn't want to hunt on the free public land just down the road. Nope, stay away from Louisiana for deer hunting. Plus, there's very few deer. This very morning I saw a 150 lb+ doe and a smaller doe, and wouldn't shoot either of them due to a full freezer. It's bucks only for me.

My cousin was hunting with me and he saw 3 does, but he didn't get a shot due to their fast speed and his slow aim. His dad, however, killed a 7 point buck this morning.

As you can see, South Carolina is a much better state for deer hunting than Louisiana. If you're an old geezer like me, 62+, a Louisiana resident hunting license is way too expensive, too. Why it costs me $5 a year for a fishing license, a basic hunting license, a big game license, a turkey license, a muzzleloader license, and a Wildlife Management Area hunting license. Nope, stay away from Louisiana for hunting!