I think I'm going to hunt deer exclusively

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

I think I'm going to hunt deer exclusively

Post by El Chivo »

Ok, guys. I have run the gamut from rabbit to deer. I've attempted to take every animal. I intended to get some rabbits and squirrels before going deer hunting, but, you know what? I never shot anything but a deer.

Come to thnk of it, nowadays I have no interest in game other than deer. Rabbits are too smart for me. I'm limited to shotgun for rabbits, and although I see plenty of them from the road, I see NONE in the field.

So I'm thinking about considering myself a deer hunter, and going into the field with nothing but deer on my mind. I can't shoot until October, but I can scout all year long.

Does anyone else do this?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

That's interesting. I have developed into a similar mind set. I use to go to the woods every weekend to get back to the basics and hunt something. I have been living in the woods for three years now and find that seeing game every day makes the hunt less anticipated. I hunt for food. A few squirrels and rabbits adds a few changes to the menu for the year but deer fills the freezer. Pounds of meat per shot makes deer the staple. Small game is for the chase. Now the chase is still fun for me but I don't always have to bring back something. Some hunts become just a nice walk in the woods.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

Does any else see deer while turkey hunting and vise verse :lol: at least who admits to it :?:
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Sounds like a good plan sobenk, if you don't want to see any deer.

I'm just kidding, but it seems whenever I make one of these "ultimate" decisions, that's when I stop seeing whatever it is I wanted to hunt. Ha, I have had deer sit there 40 yds from me and watch me while they browse as I sat for turkeys, and had turkeys just sort of hang around while I deer hunted. -wierd

If you want some good action with small game, you gotta have a good dog.
Imagine having somone around who can actually SMELL these critters while they hide so you can get a shot at them!
It's amazing.
Feels like a gift from God, and it's nice partnership; a man and his dog.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: I think I'm going to hunt deer exclusively

Post by Andrew »

sobenk wrote: Does anyone else do this?
Absolutely not, anything that moves in the woods is at risk. :D
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

When I was a kid we rabbit hunted a lot. We did not have beagles and acted as our own dogs. We kicked log piles, walked up fence rows, busted into where ever we thought we might kick up a rabbit. It was a lot of fun.

We squirrel hunted a lot but did not have a cur or feist. We got a lot of squirrels without one though.

Scott 64A is right about dogs though. If you get a couple beagles or a squirrel dog it will open up a whole new world of small game hunting and a whole new group of "dog people" who haven't met yet.

A Mountain View Cur is a super dog bred for temperament and ability and is a great hunting/ all around dog. Dogs take a lot of time though so there is a commitment involved.

Check out Dale Martin's Dogs at flatnatural.com They are sho' nuff dogs.

[/url]
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i know plenty of guys that are deer deer deer stupid. all they think about is deer. they make hunting unrealistically difficult for the rest of us. i love deer hunting, but i also love to hunt squirrel, rabbit, coon, turkey, coyotes and fox, bocats, dove, duck, and what ever else i dream up to hunt.

point being most guys i know that aren't well rounded in their hunting they get too far out of touch with common sense.

who else would lease a 20 acre spot for $1000 just to keep a couple of squirrel hunters out of the creek bottom. never mind that he has a 2000 acre lease tied up adjacent to the creek bottom and has spent thousands of dollars on food plots.

who else would push to get the game and fish commission to outlaw hunting dogs during deer season.

:D :D :D :D :D to ensure this doesn't happen to me i will continue to hunt everything i can.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well now they publish the game regs. Do you think they can't read. :?: :D 8)
Last edited by Old Savage on Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

ohwin94_61 wrote:Does any else see deer while turkey hunting and vise verse :lol: at least who admits to it :?:
I know just what you mean. Normally, you have to hunt really hard and be persistent to get an Elk when you have an Elk tag here in CA. Last year I was up at New Pine Creek, CA/OR (right on the CA, OR border) headed up to Lilly Lake to do some late Fall fishing. Of course I had my fishing gear AND I had a .30-06 in my truck too but no Elk tag. As I was driving up the hill, I saw some movement out of the corner of my right eye and danged if about 15-elk didn't step out of the tree line and cross the road. A couple of huge bulls along with a couple of young bulls and a dozen or so cows. Now, if I'd a had an Elk Tag, they'd have never shown themselves. It's kind of like they know. Spooky!!!
ED
Yer never too old
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

When I lived on Maui deer were everywhere, and they were close to home and there was no limit, besides when I had Lucille greeting me every morning and evening my desire to hunt pigs was pretty low, so I guess back then on Maui I was pretty exclusively a deer hunter (90% deer 10% goat).
Now back here on Oahu all I have to hunt are pigs, and they are limited in numbers and locales due to high population density here.
I think i'll be a paper puncher more than anything else from here on out.