Need help with my BL-22

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KPD
Levergunner

Need help with my BL-22

Post by KPD »

Hi, I've got a browning BL-22 that I need to dissassemble in order to clean the bolt. The groove that the firing pin slides in is full of old oil that gums up when it gets cold, causing the gun to misfire. I cannot figure out how to get this gun appart to clean it. Can anyone tell me where to begin? Thanks for your help.

KPD
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I'd remove the buttstock and then flush it out with gun scrubber...let it set for a few minutes and use some breakfree that comes in a spray can and lube it up good. ..let is stand upright over night..then you can wipe off the excess breakfree and reinstall the stock...I've had to do this with a few of my rimfires..worked every time.
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

As for taking it apart, I have no Idea. I have a bl-22 that I've had for several years. when it starts to act up or gets sticky I follow the directions I stated earlier.....this happens every decade or so..
Robert....

Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I do the same thing with WD-40. It's a great solvent. Don't get it on the wood.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
KPD
Levergunner

Post by KPD »

Thanks for the advice. Would Gun Scrubber or WD-40 clean the firing pin groove even if I don't take out the firing pin?
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I've used brake parts cleaner too..it can damage plastic so be careful..if budget is tight a $2.00 can of brake parts cleaner will work just as good as gun scrubber..remember that these solvents will remove all the grease and oil from a firearm, so you need to lube it ASAP...
KPD wrote:Thanks for the advice. Would Gun Scrubber or WD-40 clean the firing pin groove even if I don't take out the firing pin?
Robert....

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I had problems with a Winchester model 23 side by side after a while, and I disasembled it, as far as I dared and used brake cleaner, a lot of it, then I blew it out with air to help get rid of any thing left, then re-oiled it with a good gun oil, not WD-40, and it has worked fine, ever since.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Personally, I use Gun Scrubber and have been happy with it.

As for disassembling it, J.B.Wood in The Gun Digest Book of Firearms ASSEMBLY/DISASSEMBLY Part III: Rimfire Rifles (I'm assuming that book is still on the market) describes the how to details. He cautions that it is tricky and, being unable to resist a challenge, I tried it - ONCE.

If it will come clean with Gun Scrubber - and I suspect it will - that is the route I'd advise based on my experience - and I can use my hands with adequate skill, having practiced surgery for nearly 40 years without difficulty. :wink:

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
KPD
Levergunner

Post by KPD »

Thanks for the help guys. This afternoon I had some extra time, so I decided to see if I could figure out how to take it appart. I managed to get it taken appart far enough to get at the bolt and firing pin. I cleaned it all up with hoppes, put a very light coat of oil on, and it's good to go. I even mangaged to get it back together without too much trouble :wink:

KPD