High Pressure model 94 444 marlin

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
joecool91111
Levergunner

High Pressure model 94 444 marlin

Post by joecool91111 »

I read the article on the 444 marlin. I have a 444 marlin (marlin) and I am interested in a 94 with the 55,000 psi action. How do I tell if a listing for a model 94 has the high pressure action or not?
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Re: High Pressure model 94 444 marlin

Post by CBinNH »

I'm not sure of pressure #'s, but the Winchester Big Bore models all have extra steel in their receivers.
In case you have not already seen it, here is an article by Paco.
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/444.htm
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hey Joecool91111,

I've never geen good at the PSI/CUP comparisons, but it sounds like you'd never want to go that high with any Winchester 94 or Marlin 336 type action, especially in the 444. I would stick to published data, and you can still brew up some stomper loads that are safe. There's really nothing to be gained and you'd be operating outside the safety parameters of the gun/cartridge,. Straight walled cases like the 444 do what they do at lower pressure than bottleneck cases, and still move heavy bullets at incredibly high velocity. As to action strenghth, it's debatable if the Win. "Big Bore" action(one with the thicker action walls which surround the locking lug), is really any stronger than the standard 94, because that modification does not address the true weakness of the action....that the bolt rests on an angled locking lug, which in turn makes the bolt want to climb out of the action. The modern Angle Eject cut out doesn't help the strength of the action either. I shoot the 356 Win. Big Bore 94 but I keep it sane. Again...I would stay with published loads, as very little would be gained at the cost of personal injury or worse. If you need that kind of performance go with a stronger bolt gun in something like the 458 Win. Just my .02, and if I haven't said it, WELCOME!.

Here is a picture of my Big Bore with the "pregnant" rear side walls. It was made up for the higher pressure 375, 307, 356 Win's and lastly the 444 Marlin version Big Bore.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

If you can persuade Ruger to do a No. 1 in .444 Marlin (heck, they do them in .45-70!), THAT would be the coolest; you could run pressures up into the stratosphere, use evil long, pointy bullets (think 400-500 grain in a .430 diameter), and it would sit right up there between the .416 Rigby and .458 Winchester Magnum.

I WANT one... :cry:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

AJMD429 wrote:If you can persuade Ruger to do a No. 1 in .444 Marlin (heck, they do them in .45-70!), THAT would be the coolest; you could run pressures up into the stratosphere, use evil long, pointy bullets (think 400-500 grain in a .430 diameter), and it would sit right up there between the .416 Rigby and .458 Winchester Magnum.
Ah, you must have problems with rogue Sherman tanks too! :lol:
Last edited by awp101 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
444Hal
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 444Hal »

Seems to me that Winchester's are not known for confortable butt stocks.
I'll stick to Marlins for "big bore" shootin'.

Besides, there's some pretty heavy loads published using Reloader 7 & Beartooth bullets, that are still safe.
Levergunning & Handloading
Yeah, I roll my own pilgrim
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I'm not sure but I thought the last 444's weren't on the big bore receivers. Plus with medium burning powders you can't get enough powder in the case to go over pressure unless extremely compressed loads.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

BenT wrote:I'm not sure but I thought the last 444's weren't on the big bore receivers. Plus with medium burning powders you can't get enough powder in the case to go over pressure unless extremely compressed loads.
Hey Ben T.....your probably thinking of the last of the last..the 450 Marlins, which was from all appearances were on the standard reciever..had the pistol grip tang though and AO ghost ring set up standard. All the 444's that I've seen had the pregnant sides of the original Big Bores and same thicker barrel of the 307 and 356. As I understand it, the Big Bore 94 receiver's were heat treated to be harder than the standard 94's, but don't quote me on that.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8