'Tis the season for Sharps Pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

'Tis the season for Sharps Pics

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Ok,Since everybody else is posting pics of their Sharps Rifles Here's some pics of mine. I am nowhere near as talented with a camera as the majority here but hopefully You'll be able to make out what's in the picture. :oops:
She's a C.Sharps Business rifle in .45-70 with a 23 inch barrel.

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Nice looking rifle, Smokeater2. Details? Caliber, bbl, etc., don't just tease us w/pics! :lol:

Here's mine:

Shiloh, made in 1987, I'm the original owner. .40-90SBN, long range venier tang sight, no barrel rear sight, nor dovetail. Std. Shiloh globe w/ball & post front sight, 30" barrel double set triggers, XX fancy wood, cast silver (german) nosecap. Have only target shot w/it, although I ordered it mainly for hunting.
Last edited by Griff on Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Whoa! Beautiful rifle Griff! The wood on yours puts mine to shame. I like that rifle holder you've got there too.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

SmokeEater2 wrote:Whoa! Beautiful rifle Griff! The wood on yours puts mine to shame. I like that rifle holder you've got there too.
Thank you, but it actually looks better in pics than in person. :oops: :wink:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Dang smokeeater you got good taste in rifles. :D
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Thanks Don! Griff, She's a C.Sharps 1875 Business rifle in 45-70,23 inch bbl., and standard wood. I just found her recently on gunsamerica (first pic was taken by the gunshop) and I'm in the process of following Badger barrels break-in procedure. Once thats done she'll be fed a steady diet of Cast boolits. Now that I've finally got this one it's all I want to shoot anymore,so this will be my deer,Hawg,bear and Elk rifle(if I ever get drawn for a permit. :cry: ) These things are some of the most finely made rifles I've ever seen.

Oh..I apologize for the over-size pics. I figured out how to make them more forum friendly AFTER I posted these.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Griff wrote:Nice looking rifle, Smokeater2. Details? Caliber, bbl, etc., don't just tease us w/pics! :lol:

Here's mine:

Shiloh, made in 1987, I'm the original owner. .40-90SBN, long range venier tang sight, no barrel rear sight, nor dovetail. Std. Shiloh globe w/ball & post front sight, 30" barrel double set triggers, XX fancy wood, cast silver (german) nosecap. Have only target shot w/it, although I ordered it mainly for hunting.
Beautiful fellas. Don't mean to hijack, but I wanted to ask Griff if you could comment generally on the difference recoil wise between your 40-90 awith the bullet it likes and say a Shiloh in 45/70 with a heavy bullet? Also, is the bottlenecked case harder to load for or is that the Sharps Straight?
I have to get me a Shiloh!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Do you mind if I join the party? Here are some pics of the Shiloh Sharps I bought last year. It's a 40-70 SS.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I STILL haven't taken a decent photo of mine.

Slow is just slow.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Ram hammer and cas, Those are some classy rifles!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Although I am a Winchester man, no collection is complete without a Sharps. This one is in 45-70.

'78 Sharps----L.W.Winchester in .22 L.R----H.W.Winchester in 40-82
'84 Trapdoor
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

C. Cash wrote: ..the difference recoil wise between your 40-90 awith the bullet it likes and say a Shiloh in 45/70 with a heavy bullet? Also, is the bottlenecked case harder to load for or is that the Sharps Straight?
I have to get me a Shiloh!
Mr. Cash,

I believe it IS the bottle neck that's difficult to load for, and everything I've read seems to back that up. I've gotten a lot of good info over on the Shiloh forum, there's a BUNCH of very knowledgeable guys there also.

I'm still hunting that good 100 yard load. Settles down nicely @ 300 and beyond. My rifle is the Long Range Express and I had the barrel made @ 30" so the rifle would make the weight restriction for BPCR Silhouette. I got the shotgun buttplate just on account of the recoil. It's pretty stout, but... only off the bench or prone. Sitting, kneeling or standing up, it's a pussycat. I don't believe it has any more recoil that the 450+ grain bullets in a .45-70 @ ~1200fps. I have a Browning 1886 rifle in .45-70 that's generally fed 325FN or 400FN bullets @ 12-1300fps and the big difference is the buttplate.

I generally shoot a 350gr grease groove bullet, and the last batch were loaded with 90 grains of FFg. They were running @ a ave. of 1576fps, SD of 8.71fps and ES of 17.28.

I'm hoping that the PP boolits will help in the short range accuracy department, and I've got some new lead that I wanna mix with my WWs for a softer boolit. That may help some also. In addition, this next batch of loads will be watched a little more closely for ensuring the base of the boolit isn't down past the neck. I hear that a very bad thing with BP. With 27grs of AA5744, it'll shoot very well indeed. But, I'm hung up on the BP loads. I'll get it sorted out eventually! 8)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

cas and Ram Hammer, those are very nice rifles also.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

sixgun,I'm jealous! Those are nice rifles.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

SmokeEater2 wrote:sixgun,I'm jealous! Those are nice rifles.
SmokeEater----Please, don't be. I have been at this game since 1972 and most of my good stuff was bought before prices went crazy. Although I punch a clock for a living, I always liked the old guns and stayed educated and tuned in to them.

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Vey nice Sharps fellas! I hope to own one some day, but I'm hoping for an original if I can afford one!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

As mentioned in a previous post, no Winchester collection would be complete without a few Sharps.

Top - 12lb Model 1874 Sporter in 45-70, circa 1878

Middle - Sharps 1874 Business Rifle, circa 1876, also in 45-70

Bottom - New Model 1863 conversion in the rarer 50 - 2" chambering

And yes, I do shoot them.

Image[/img]

A Winchester Collector
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you Griff for that detailed response! Great info. You guys are killing me...absolutely killing me with these Sharps photos.
Last edited by C. Cash on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

3855 wrote:As mentioned in a previous post, no Winchester collection would be complete without a few Sharps.

And yes, I do shoot them.

Mr. 3855,
You and I think alike. We shoot those old guns--and with great pleasure. Those '74 side hammers you have are impressive to say the least. Now: on to business: Whats it gonna take to pry that extreme multiple special ordered optioned '86 out of your hands? Just kidding. I bet she's your pride and joy. A very nice and rare '86 with the added desireability of "condition"----------------Sixgun

rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

sharps

Post by rjohns94 »

Gents, Your sharps are BEAUTIFUL. Nice Post smokeater. I was hoping to pull out some pics when I posted mine. They are such beautiful rifles. Thanks guys for your beautiful pics
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

3855, you've got quite the collection of Sharps there. I'm envious.
Old Law Dawg
SR James
Levergunner

Post by SR James »

Heck, might as well throw in my stuff: Shiloh .40-65, Shiloh .45-90 and a Whitney RB .40-82. The middle gun is Shiloh factory wood. The top Sharps and the Whitney I stocked. I use all three rifles in sihouette competition.

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Ooh rollers rollers... rollers I don't own.

The vertical Pedersoli left to make way (and help pay) for Shilo I posted.
The roller on the bottom went away to pay for the one with the scope..

Last edited by cas on Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow is just slow.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

cas wrote:Ooh rollers rollers... rollers I don't own.
Cas, you been holdin' out on me! How come you only bring one to the Noreaster? I want to see 'em ALL come springtime!-----Sixgun
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I only bring one at a time because... they're so big, so heavy and I don't want to have to have to clean them all, all at once. :lol:
Slow is just slow.
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

cas wrote:Ooh rollers rollers... rollers I don't own.

The vertical Pedersoli left to make way (and help pay) for Shilo I posted.
The roller on the bottom went away to pay for the one with the scope..
Ummm...Excuse me, but did no one else notice the HEPBURN?!?!?!? Details, PLEASE!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Well... the back half is all original. The front half is more recent. When I bought it, it had Marbles sights which I've since replaced with a SA buckhorn and a blade front. Since this picture I also did some sculpting of the forend to make it less "2x3"ish and opened the chamber to .45-90 to reduce the chance of me accidentally blowing it up with one of my hot Marlin 45-70 loads. :D

It's kind of a rare "Heburn carbine.":wink:

Slow is just slow.