.30 Herrett shooter knocking the 30-30

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

.30 Herrett shooter knocking the 30-30

Post by crs »

While lazing (eavesdropping) around between trips to the targets, I overheard a TC single shot pistol shooter explaining to a younger person with a lever action 30-30 how superior the Herrett is to the 30 WCF. He also condescended to say " The 30-30 is not a bad cartridge, it is just that there are no accurate rifles available for it. Then he went on so say that a Marlin 30-30 was lucky to shoot a 3" group at 100 yards.
His drivel bored me and and I could see that he had put off the 30-30 shooter and his cute girl friend (lever gunners do OK there) so I went back to my shooting bench and thought happy thoughts.
The rangemaster is a serious .45-70 levergunner and he was not looking too happy with Mr. kow it all either..
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Glad to hear you had a good day. Wished I'd of been there. But, then again, maybe not! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

Lets invent a new term.

cartridgecentric, def. The belief that your rifle or pistol cartridge is the best possible for its intended application and that all others are a distant second.
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Even after I out shot him, I'm sure someone of his ilk would chalk it up to a bad day or (and I've heard this many times before) that I had lucked out and got one of those rare "out of the box leveraction shooters".
I don't miss shooting at a club.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I find that completely laughable. I have both cartridges chambered in factory TC barrels and shot as carbines neither is more accurate than the other. HOWEVER, the .30 WCF has much more case capacity and ballistic possibility. Heck the .30 Herrett is a much cut down .30 WCF. What a putz.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

"Cartridegecentric", eh? I like it.....

Is that like knowing that the 35 Remington is clearly
superior to all other levergun rounds, save perhaps
the 45-70 for dangerous game? :P

THAT said, there's really nothing wrong with the 30 WCF.... :)
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Had the same thing happen at the range last week, except this guy was a range officer and saying it right to my face.

Not only that but he was criticizing my shooting technique to boot. :shock:

I then proceeded to shoot 3 seperate groups of 3 shots each while he was standing there watching.

When the line went cold I brought the target to him and had him measure the groups with his digital micrometer

1st grp .935"
2nd grp 1.131"
3rd grp .891"

This was with my Marlin 30AS lever and Federal 150gr Power-Shok from Midway.

I then went home and bought all 11 boxes that MidwayUSA had in stock.

They're out of stock now, but if I find any of it somewhere else, I'm buying more.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

meanc;
It is amazing how much of what people "know" is wrong.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

you can probably by a used .30-30 marlin for $150.00 or less. i've seen ammo for $7.99 a box recently. with this combination, you can probbably hunt the rest of your life and not look back. advertisers need to sell new guns, premuim ammo and big moon scopes. they have to eat too.
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

I'm with Hobbie. The .30 Herret I had was a doozie (as my neighbor would say) of a little cartridge. However, it was a shortened .30-30 with less case capacity and less potential.
The plusses were that no one else had one so everyone wanted to see it and it occupied a fair amount of rainy day time shortening and neck reaming cases.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

On the rare occasions that I took my Browning model 71 to the range I only had positive comments from other shooters. Leverguns seem to draw the faithful like nothing else. Unless, of course, you're a putz.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

When I`m at the club with my levers others always come over to see what I`m shooting.and the usual coment is " I dont think I could even see that target with iron sights let alone hit it!" So many people think they need a MAGNUM with a scope as big as a garbage can to be able to shoot well. When will they ever learn? :?
bj94
Levergunner 2.0

you'll hear anything at gunshops and shooting ranges

Post by bj94 »

I started shooting back in the days when Herrett and Millet (?) were inventing and using their pair of cartridges. I don't recall why they shortened the .30-30 but I would guess that they thought the powder capacity was too much for the 10" barrels that they liked.

Once IHMSA got going lots of people used the .30-30 in 10" Contenders and did well with them, so except for being less efficient there is nothing wrong with it.

I would guess that most people with Marlin levers would do well to shoot within 3" at 100 yards, although I've never tested one carefully myself. However my daughter and I might get away in about a week to test hers at 100 yards. And even if most of them do 3", there will certainly be some that will do better and some that will do worse.

If that guy didn't like the .30Herrett then he sure wouldn't like the .300 Whisper, that seems to me to have a lot less powder capacity but yet was popular and performed well.

To me the worst thing about .30Herrett is having to trim the brass so much.
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Thats what I like about being in a lever action rifle club.
Its all about 73s 92s 94s 336s 39As etc, and then some putz will come along with one of them pretend lever guns in 223 or 22-250, but hey we're a tolerant bunch so we let them play too. :)
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Re: you'll hear anything at gunshops and shooting ranges

Post by sore shoulder »

bj94 wrote:If that guy didn't like the .30Herrett then he sure wouldn't like the .300 Whisper, that seems to me to have a lot less powder capacity but yet was popular and performed well.
The popularity of the .300 whisper/Fireball is the ability to shoot a .30 round from an AR and the only part that changes is the chamber and bore, and only the necked part of the chamber at that. Otherwise it uses standard bolt, magazine, and cases, although there does seem to be a bit of fiddling with the cases much as the Herret to get them just right. It can be loaded down to subsonic levels using heavy for caliber bullets and a suppressor, or loaded up hotter for deer hunting.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I had the same problem this year, but not at the range but rather in the woods from a guy who was carrying a .300 win mag with a 6.5x20 scope. He said to me he used a 30-30 similar to mine when he started hunting 30 years ago. Said he lost too many deer due to the 30-30 being useless. I didn't say a word, didn't figure it was worth it coming from a guy using a .300 mag to shoot deer at 50 yards!
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Re: you'll hear anything at gunshops and shooting ranges

Post by Ravenman »

bj94 wrote:I started shooting back in the days when Herrett and Millet (?) BOB MILEK about .30Herrett is having to trim the brass so much.
The 30 Herrett was a good cartridge and did best out of a 10" barrel.
In the 14" barrel the 30-30 was and is much better. But Bob Milek and Steve Herrett tried to create a perfect cartridge for the TC 10". Today I think the 30-30 works great out of any Contender barrel. With the special pistol bullets (Hornady 130grs. SSP, Sierra 135grs SP No 7350, Nosler Ballistic Tip 125grs.) you can save the time to load for the 30 Herrett.