44 Special bullets - do any work?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

44 Special bullets - do any work?

Post by 86er »

I have tried to get bullets in the 44 Special to expand as intended.

I am firing into a layer including a leather jacket, flannel shirt, cotton T-shirt and ballistic gel filled mannequin torso. The "target" is 13.5 feet from the muzzle. I've used a carbine and revolver. The revolver velocities run from 810 - 878 fps. The carbine sends them out 1019 -1156 fps. NONE of the bullets I have tried expand like they are supposed to.

Swift A Frame 240gr - the cup fills with material and the bullet does not change shape at all. I tried putting a nylon ball in the hollow point. The nose closes up around the ball, making it look like a roundnosed hardball bullet. The owner at Swift said they would expand at 800 fps and up. I guess he never tried them.

Nosler 200gr Sporting - The exposed lead smears to one side and the jacket cracks up to 3/4 it's length. I filled the hollow tip with a piece of nylon rod and it did the same thing.

Hornady 180 gr XTP - the hollow point caves in instead of expanding outward. The nose is wider than bullet diameter but not because of proper expansion.

Federal Hydra Shok 240gr - these had to be pulled from 44 Mag factory ammo and loaded into 44 spl since the bullets aren't available as components. The jacket opened up exposing the lead cylinder with the post in the middle. Very little lead moved.

I found out David Berkowitz used a 210gr WW load. Winchester doesn't make that bullet anymore. They expanded in people after passing through their clothes. He had a 4" CA revolver so the velocity was within what I'm getting.

Ideally, I would like 8-10" of penetration with proper expansion at ranges up to 50 ft. That doesn't seem to be asking much. Cast bullets are not an option.

What the heck will work out of a 44 SPL for use against people with clothes on? How many folks are carrying a 44 SPL for personal protection and probably will not get the results they are depending on from the bullets?
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Idahoser

Re: 44 Special bullets - do any work?

Post by Idahoser »

86er wrote:...How many folks are carrying a 44 SPL for personal protection and probably will not get the results they are depending on from the bullets?
several hands go up from this direction...
Try the Silvertips. and Gold Dots.
I realize they're not available for reloading but that might help answer your question, if they work.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Well, needless to say these are all designed for the 44 mag, but I would try the Speer gold dots. They should expand at the lower velocities.

And I usually load my 44 Special with hardcast bullets - I figure they are "pre-expanded" and will do just fine if needed.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

86er -

I know this isn't the answer you're looking for but the .44 and .45 caliber bullets make a BIG HOLE to begin with.

Take the leather jacket off and try a cloth jacket. When you get right down to it, not too many people wear a leather jacket as daily wear.

Anyway, I'd concentrate on gun handling and accuracy and just kind of smile with the thought of a .44 hole doing the job even without much expansion.
ED
Yer never too old
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I'm going to use cast bullets. Ask John Taffin what he uses. He really likes the Charter Bulldogs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

With a bit of bone in the picture, they may tumble all roads too!

Are these new exotics on the ranch 86er :lol:

Nath :wink:
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

i think you will find the factory Winchester silver tips work very well. At least they have for me in .44, .38
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What about the old half-jacket Speer 215 HP? I don't think they make them anymore, but you might find some old stock somewhere.
NRA Life Member
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Idahoser wrote:
86er wrote:...How many folks are carrying a 44 SPL for personal protection and probably will not get the results they are depending on from the bullets?
several hands go up from this direction...
Try the Silvertips. and Gold Dots.
I realize they're not available for reloading but that might help answer your question, if they work.
I just found the Silvertips as a component at Midway - 210 gr. 44's - see:
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseP ... 785***9015***
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I've shot the Speer short barrel 38's into clay and water jugs at 840 fps and gotten great expansion. Put a jacket on it or shoot it into an animal and nada, the nose either fills or folds. Still got the penetration, but no expansion. I've gone to Win white box flat nose for my 380 ACP because of my experiences with the excellent wounds generated by a wide flat meplat. If you don't hit the nervous system, a clean 3/4" hole bleeds out fast. I'm seriously considering wadcutters for my 38's. Need to do some penetration tests first.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Federal makes a 200 Gr semi-wadcutter HP that is super accurate from my S&W 21.

I haven't connected with anything larger than a nasty looking wild dog about the size of a sheppard but he dropped in his tracks.

He thought he was going to have my boxer mix for lunch when I changed his mind.

Don't know how it would perform on something larger but I'm sure it would do the job. Just a good load.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Joe,

May I ask why cast bullets are out? I may have missed something here.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

2ndovc wrote:Federal makes a 200 Gr semi-wadcutter HP that is super accurate from my S&W 21. jb 8)

Same here, and I also have some of the Speer factory Gold Dots. I haven't shot anything more dangerous than paper and one ground squirrel - but it dropped.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

It would look to me like you're trying too hard. I use the Remington bulk packaged 240 grain semi-jacketed hollow point out of my 3" barreled Taurus and get good expansion in coyotes and phone books. I haven't run these over a chronograph, but I can't be pushing them much over 800 fps even with a max load of Unique.
Well done is better than well said.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe,
I occasionally carry a 4" S&W 1950 Target in 44 Spl. Can't help you with factory ammo. I load a 250 grain Lyman/Keith SWC in front of 7.5 grains of Unique--for about 900 fps.

Don't know how they penetrate people, but I've shot a few deer with that load/gun combo and they don't go far. :D -------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Hell, at the rate ammo's goin up in price, I can hardly afford anymore to shoot jackets, gelatin, phone books, and what-have-you.

With a bullet the size of a .44 (429) and the hole it makes without expansion, just load up and shoot the bastard!!! I think you'll find that he'll leave you alone.

That's my .02¢ and I'll not give you a penny more.
ED
Yer never too old
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Modoc ED wrote:
With a bullet the size of a .44 (429) and the hole it makes without expansion, just load up and shoot the bastard!!! I think you'll find that he'll leave you alone
Thanks Ed. I just spit a huge wad of berry flavored Skoal all over the screen. :D :D :D :D :lol: ---------------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I carry WW Silvertips in my Charter BD Pug. And reload a Nosler 200 gr. JHP for general non defense use. I cronographed this load, can't seem to find my log for the load. I am pushing it with 7 grains of Unique, and seems to duplicate the Silvertips.

The Nosler's are nice, I use them for my 44-40's also. In both a 5 1/2" bisley and my 92 Rossi.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

86er,
Maybe the Barnes M/LE TAC XP bullets are what your looking for they make a 200 grain bullet for the 44 special. Here's the link.....

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/m ... l-bullets/

Remington 240 grain SJHP or the old 225 grain Speer half jackets if they still make 'em, are what my Dad and uncles used to carry in the 60's and 70's in their 44 Specials.

Hope this helps, Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I'd be pretty impressed by some *** who could keep coming after getting a couple of .43 cal holes through his chest.

How about casting your own with plain lead out of one of those Lyman Devastator molds. Whether the cavity explodes, implodes, or disintegrates its still gonna disrupt a lot of tissue.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Sixgun wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:
With a bullet the size of a .44 (429) and the hole it makes without expansion, just load up and shoot the bastard!!! I think you'll find that he'll leave you alone
Thanks Ed. I just spit a huge wad of berry flavored Skoal all over the screen. :D :D :D :D :lol: ---------------------Sixgun
Sometimes, somethings just gotta be said plain and simple with just the right word for emphasis. :D
ED
Yer never too old
oldgerboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oldgerboy »

From what I read in the papers, most of the walking pond scum tends to wear a "hoodie"(a rather queer way of saying "hooded sweatshirt") instead of a leather jacket.

I carry a Charter Bulldog with hollow base wadcutters loaded backwards ... darn fine hollow point. They may not penetrate as far as you would like but they sure do expand in a small deer. Actually, they do tend to break up some but will not pass through and took the deer down with one shot in the vitals. I had fired two extra through the rib cage out of curiosity to get the above info.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I've had good expansion with my cast bullets using pure lead in a 200 gr. SWC design.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Not what you asked but I carry the 180 grain federals in magnum version--- they expand real well at speed! :D
John in MS
Levergunner 2.0

Post by John in MS »

Speer offers a 200 gr. Gold Dot bullet (as components) made just for the .44 Special, which I believe must be designed to perform at lower velocity. I would try those, myself.

John
"Pistols do not win wars, but they save the lives of the men who do. The noble 1911 is a mechanical marvel, whose ruggedness, dependability & ferocious power have comforted four issues of GIs and which, unlike any other instrument you can name, is as much superior to its rivals today as it was in 1917."
-Col. Jeff Cooper, 1968
Mike Rintoul
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Mike Rintoul »

Joe:

If you want to duplicate the 230 gr 45 ACP load as far as penetration, velocity and bullet weight, give me a call. I have a guy in PA that makes me 240 or 250 gr copper bullets that are pre-serrated and have spiral grooves along the length to match the barrel twist. They have some resemblence to the Barnes X, and we can choose 4, 6 or 8 petals. I can get them going 900 fps or close to it out of your Charter Bulldog, I know since I have one. I guarantee they'll penetrate and expand much along the lines of the FBI testing protocal. If you want to reload you will do alright with the Gold Dot bullets, but you'll never get the weight or speed to obtain the overall power level of your 40 S&W or a 45 ACP load with those.

Mike Rintoul
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
Rainier, OR
(503) 556-3006
Mike Rintoul
Owner
Grizzly Cartridge Ammunition Company
www.grizzlycartridge.com
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

I have killed 3 deer with a Marlin trapper in .44 with the Blazer Gold Dot .44 SPL most accurate of all loads tested. My normal carry load in a 44 revolver as we are not authorized to use reloads when it might be used for work.
It is not the critic who counts
Tristan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Tristan »

I have in mind to try some of the Rainier Ballistics 200 or 240gr. HP's - they're swaged out of soft lead and then a hex-shaped hp is formed in a second operation after plating with copper.

When I get a round-tuit I'll let ya'll know how it turned out.

- Tristan
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Modoc ED wrote:
Sixgun wrote:
Modoc ED wrote:
Sometimes, somethings just gotta be said plain and simple with just the right word for emphasis. :D
There's no replacement for displacement. Ever heard of a 20 mm needing a hollowpoint?
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

I like the Barnes 200 Grain DPX for my 44 Special carry load. I load them to 900 fps out of my 396 Night Guard Smith. Tried them out on several feral hogs. They penetrate 8 to 10 inches, expand to over .75 inches and hold together exceptionally well. Recovered weight is always within a few grains of 200.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
2 dogs
Shootist

Post by 2 dogs »

JT's "Book of the 44" has a review of current available factory 44 special loads along with lots of other information. Its the best book on 44's available. :D
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

How about the Hornady #1118 .430 44 CAL 240 GR SWC HP

https://www.hornady.com
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

2 dogs wrote:JT's "Book of the 44" has a review of current available factory 44 special loads along with lots of other information. Its the best book on 44's available. :D
Got me a signed copy, excellent read, and great information. :wink:
SASS# 51223

thornblom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by thornblom »

thanks
Last edited by thornblom on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

I also use the Laser-cast 240 gr. SWC .431" W/ Unique powder, makes for a very consistant and accurate load. I use 44 mag cases and shoot these in my 92 Rossi 44. This same load & bullet I use in a 5 1/2" 44-40 Jager Bisley. I resize the 240SWC .431" to .429" and use Winchester 44-40 brass.
SASS# 51223