444 LE Stress Test PIC Heavy

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

444 LE Stress Test PIC Heavy

Post by CBinNH »

I posted this over at Marlinowners. Thought I'd drop it here too if anyone was interested. Bowtieshooter's wet Walnut test inspired me to try one of my own today. I used a chunk of dry White Ash from my cordwood pile. First, the launchpad, a early 70's 444S. All shots from 50 yards. Note the high tech test medium splitter. Image
Here is the with the grain shot. A little over 5" penetration.
Bullet starts at 265 gr., main surviving lump ended up at 202.1.
Against the grain was a bit harder on the bullet. A little over 4" penetration.
Main expanded portion was 188.7 gr when I dug it out. This was a twisted grain chunk of wood.
After the wood test I had to see if the barn's broadside was in any danger.
The rifle has a Lyman peep sight.
Overall, I think the bullet held up fairly well to my dry hardwood test. I really like it's accuracy, even with my old Micro-groove. Should be fine for any deer I'll come across. I may have to try the component bullets. Anybody got a load that compares with the LE stuff using the LE bullet?
Chris
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 444 LE Stress Test PIC Heavy

Post by rjohns94 »

Great post, impressive results, accuracy. nice rifle.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Nice job on this presentation Thanks for sharing it.I have one of those too and its a good shooter also.I watched my friend wap a pop can off a stump so far away i couldn't see it till it flew up when hit.
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:P :P Not bad for a .429 Long :P

Nah, I too have an early MG example. Like the 45-70, they are a do-it-all rifle for the most part.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Thank you for photos and test results!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

thank you, have the .444, but in in a winchester big bore.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

CBinNH wrote:After the wood test I had to see if the barn's broadside was in any danger.
The rifle has a Lyman peep sight.
Overall, I think the bullet held up fairly well to my dry hardwood test. I really like it's accuracy, even with my old Micro-groove.
Now that's interesting. There have been reports that the LE will not shoot well from Micro-groove rifling and in fact, the end flaps of the .444 Hornady LeveRevolution 265gr boxes state that it is to be used in 1:20 twist barrels only. However, some guys such-as-yourself report good results shooting the LE ammo from Micro-groove rifling. I have a .444 MarlinS that was made in 1979 with of course, Micro-groove rifling. It's a good shooter with jacketed and cast bullets. I've not tried the LE ammo.

At any rate, good shooting and thanks for the report.
ED
Yer never too old
CBinNH
Levergunner 2.0

Post by CBinNH »

Thanks for the replies gents. Modoc, I have only tried this ammo at 100 yards once. I thought the target was showing slightly oblong holes. It was also not tacked down solidly against the backboard. Next range time I'll have to trudge through the snow a bit further for a distance stability test. (And tack down my target.)
EDIT I just checked the 4 boxes of LE ammo I have & none have the 1in 20 only warning. 2 different lots.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

CBinNH wrote:Thanks for the replies gents. Modoc, I have only tried this ammo at 100 yards once. I thought the target was showing slightly oblong holes. It was also not tacked down solidly against the backboard. Next range time I'll have to trudge through the snow a bit further for a distance stability test. (And tack down my target.)
EDIT I just checked the 4 boxes of LE ammo I have & none have the 1in 20 only warning. 2 different lots.
Now that's odd. I've seen it myself on boxes of .444 LE. Maybe Hornady has dropped it from the boxes. It might be worth a call to Hornady.
ED
Yer never too old