OT--Taurus revolver called "The Judge."

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Taurus revolver called "The Judge."

Post by getitdone1 »

Any one here have this Taurus Judge handgun? Have it on order?

How many 00 buck would a 2 1/2" 410 shell hold?

How much pressure would this gun take with 45 Colt bullets seated way out for lots of powder?

For you that don't know: This is a 5 shot gun that will shoot either 2 1/2" 410 shells or the 45 Colt cartridge.

Went to Davidson site and they say there's a huge demand for this gun and all they'll be getting are "allocated."

Don McCullough
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: OT--Taurus revolver called "The Judge."

Post by Old Ironsights »

getitdone1 wrote:Any one here have this Taurus Judge handgun? Have it on order?

How much pressure would this gun take with 45 Colt bullets seated way out for lots of powder?

For you that don't know: This is a 5 shot gun that will shoot either 2 1/2" 410 shells or the 45 Colt cartridge.

Went to Davidson site and they say there's a huge demand for this gun and all they'll be getting are "allocated."

Don McCullough
I don't have one, but I believe Mic at LaPorte Sporting Goods in LaPorte IN has one on the shelf. Give him a call.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I think there is a gunblast article on one.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT--Taurus revolver called "The Judge."

Post by cutter »

Not much. How about 444 cases loaded with number 1 shot, not much smaller, but you get more.
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

I put a stainless judge on layaway, thinking it had to be the ideal snake gun.

After reading the "Box-o-truth" writeup on the Taurus Judge,
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

And the "Box-O-Truth_ writeup on handgun rat shot loads
http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot30.htm

I cancelled the layaway, and will continue to carry my much handier Rossi 720 in 44 Special laoded with shot loads for a snake gun.
http://www.gunsworld.com/rossi/rossi2.htm
66GTO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 66GTO »

A friend of mine had a stainless one (he recently traded it). He carried it with bird shot for snakes and 000 buck shot or slugs for defense. The 2 1/2" shells contain three 000 shot, loaded in line. He never told me what the pattern was with the 000 buck, but I suspect it would be it would be effective only at belly gun range. I know I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of it.

It was a neat gun. I wish he had told me he was getting rid of it, I would have bought it.

IIRC, Taurus is coming out with a model that will shoot 3" shells. That will be a long cylinder because it has to long enough so that the opened crimp on a fired round stays within the cylinder.
cutter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cutter »

I wouldn't put too much faith in the 'Box of Truth' article.

He seems to have his own ideas of what a defensive firearm should be. The Taurus Judge is what it is, a short range "blast'em" gun. A face load of # 7 shot will stop anyone at defensive ranges. Remember, a defensive shooting is about stopping an attack, not killing.

I have been loading my own shot cartridges for years.
The mistake everyone makes , is to use too large shot size. For a defensive/snake gun, you want the smallest shot you can find. #11 if at all possible.

When hiking in the higher elevations, my pistol always has the first two rounds loaded with shot.

I have only had to shoot a few snakes, but they all curled up and died on the spot.

If the snake is 5 or more feet away, why are you shooting it? Taurus does say this is a short range weapon.

Although, it should have had paradox rifling, which is my only gripe. But I will buy the first used one I come across.

I should also say that I have had better 'snake shot' results from auto pistols than revolvers, and I do not buy new guns.