OT: .45 Auto Rim?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

OT: .45 Auto Rim?

Post by SmokeEater2 »

I was given 3 boxes of this ammo and I know exactly nuttin' about auto-rim cartridges.
Anyone ever used them in a .45 Colt or a .45 acp cylinder? :?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

The 45 AR is the rimmed version of the 45 ACP. You gotta have a 45 ACP Revolver to be able to use them. Nada on the 45 Colt gun unless you have a fitted 45 acp cylinder. It was developed so the case can be extracted from the cylinder by using the extractor rod without having to insert the 45 acp rounds in half moon clips. Guns like the old S&W and Colt 1917 military revolvers or the modern 'Smith 1955 Target Revolvers use that round.--------------Sixgun
Model A Uzi’s
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

The .45 AR will not work in any stock single action with an ACP cylinder. There is not enough space for the rim.
The fat rim was to take the place of the 1/2 moon clips the ancient military and later civilian .45 ACP revolvers used.

To use this cartridge in a SA revolver's cylinder you have to have the cylinder modified for the thicker rim.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you find someone with a 1917 S&W or a S&W M25 or 625 you could become their very good friend in short order. I've always found AR stuff hard to come by.
Whatever you do, if you do shoot it don't throw away the brass.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cubrock
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT: .45 Auto Rim?

Post by cubrock »

SmokeEater2 wrote:I was given 3 boxes of this ammo and I know exactly nuttin' about auto-rim cartridges.
Anyone ever used them in a .45 Colt or a .45 acp cylinder? :?

A buddy of mine has a 1917 S&W that uses Autorim. If you decide to sell it, drop me a line. He might be interested.

Of course, I have found over the years that if I hang onto whatever odd-ball caliber ammo I get, I will eventually wind up with a gun for it. For instance, several years ago I got a killer deal on a pile of 8mm Lebel ammo. I sold it and a year later got a Model 1886 Lebel rifle and wished I'd kept the ammo.
.........THE TWINS..........

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

My shooting buddy lives, eats, and sleeps 45 auto rim.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Wayne Miller
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wayne Miller »

I may become a .45 Auto Rim junkie as well very soon. I just bought a Webley Mk VI that has been converted to use .45 ACP in moon clips. I intend to reload .45 Auto Rim to .455 Webley specs. This should be a fun project! Midway is sending me some brass and a shell holder as we speak.
Wayne Miller
(Known as "Mossyrock" elsewhere)

"We thought about it for a long time... 'Endeavor to persevere.' And when we had thought about it long enough, we declared war on the Union."

Lone Watie
AkRay
Levergunner 2.0

Post by AkRay »

I just bought a 25-2 a week and a half ago. I like the idea of moon clips and 45 ACP ammo. The one clip I have is a pain to load and unload, but if I buy and load several clips up ahead of time, I can do the loading and unloading at my leisure. If I run into some 45 AR brass or ammo I'll probably buy it since I like to try things out, but I'm content to use what I have for now.

I think I'm going to like my new sixgun. Smith & Wesson class, 44 Special level recoil and utility, easy ammo and brass availability....it's got a lot of the features I want in a revolver.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The .45 AR is a superb, mild, useful bigbore revolver cartridge. Moon or halfmoon clips can be handy, but they do present some potential problems, ranging from the hassle of loading/unloading them to action jams that they can cause when bent. I have a nice 250-case supply that I love using in my Brazilian Contract S&W.