OT-Gibbs Rifle Company (rechambered Enfields)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

OT-Gibbs Rifle Company (rechambered Enfields)

Post by Jason_W »

Up to a year or two ago a company called Gibbs was selling rechambered Enfield rifles in .308 Win and 45/70. I though this was a cool idea, but my gun money at the time was going toward leverguns.

Now, I can't find the link to company. Did anyone else hear of this company. Did they go out of business or get bought out?
canonsix
Levergunner 2.0

Post by canonsix »

Gibbs Rifle company is not selling to individuals only to distrubutors, try R&R.com they have the 45-70 available hth Doug
a armed man is his own master
Jason_W
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jason_W »

canonsix wrote:Gibbs Rifle company is not selling to individuals only to distrubutors, try R&R.com they have the 45-70 available hth Doug
Cool.

I couldn't find any kind of website for the company, so I wondered if they had gone defunct.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I understand that the mag. on the enfield is long enough the handle the .45-90. Simple rechamber job. Might be a great gun in Alaska. Obviously the .45-70 chambered gun would be great as well but for those who like something a little different. I seem to recall seeing or reading about just such a conversion. 1886.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Ji,
Should be answer any questions you have on the Gibbs .45-70. He has one.

Rusty <><
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I bought one over Gunbroker last summer. Sent it right back. Neat rifle but it would not feed the rounds from the mag. the bolt head would pop off the guide rail and prevent the bolt from closing.

I called Navy Arms, the parent co. of Gibbs and was told that the company was no longer in business. N.A. would fix the rifle for $60.00 / hr plus materials.

I figured I rather have something else and sent it back. I know that there are others out there that had no problems.

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
mic214
Levergunner

Post by mic214 »

The Ishapore Arsenal factory produced Enfield .No1 MKIII's in 7.62 NATO. These are the model 2A1's. They were not converted from already existing .303 caliber rifles. The Gibbs Rifle Company took the 2A1's and converted them into several different models.

Mine is what Gibbs called their "No. 7 Jungle Carbine". The barrel and stock were shortened and then a .No 5 front sight/flash suppressor was added to it. I picked it up several years ago at a local gun shop for around $280.00. It is a great shooter. I use it when I am on my ATV out at the ranch "Checking fences":

Gibbs made a similar rifle with a matte nickle finish that they called the "Quest" carbine. It was also chambered in 7.62 NATO. They also made one called the "Summit Carbine" which was chambered in .45-70. The shop I got my rifle from also had the .45-70 version, but I only could afford one, so I got the "Jungle Carbine".....
Last edited by mic214 on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Cannonsix I searched R&R.com and didnt see anything gun related do you have a link?
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

One of the gun rags gave the Gibbs Enfield 45-70 a great review way back when, and I wanted one bad bad bad. Now, knowing about the feeding problems, I ain't so sure. www.surplusrifle.com gave it a good review but noted a 100% failure rate to feed the 3rd round from the magazine.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I have been thinking about doing this conversion my self when the bore on my enfield gets to bad.

I was thinking about a 28" octagonal bbl in a 1-18 twist so I can shoot those big slugs that ScottT is so fond of.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Bruce Scott
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bruce Scott »

Gibbs seem to have folded.... :?:

The .45-70 LEs appear on Gunbroker quite often. This auction has ended but shows plenty of pics of a pretty good example: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... m=82376691

I got onto a Siamese Mauser that is currently being converted.