OT- New model Vaquero vs Old Vaquero

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HillbillyGadget
Levergunner 1.0

OT- New model Vaquero vs Old Vaquero

Post by HillbillyGadget »

Will the new model .357 handle the heavier loads or only the colt loads?
On the .45 the cylinders are pretty thin and I wouldn't shoot heavier .45 loads, just wondering about the .357.
I'm thinking about getting one, it would be used for more than CAS and like to use it for hunting and working.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AFAIK, All Ruger .357's are +P certified, but the New Vaq .45's are limited to SAA-level loads due to the smaller frame size, compared to the first Vaq.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

.357 Magnum is .357 Magnum. The relative strength of the two only comes to the fore in the .4something chamberings.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Don't sweat the 357.
The 45 cylinder walls on my new vaquero don't show enough difference in thickness from my blackhawk to get excited about. The NV 45 cylinders are quite a bit shorter, and seating length becomes real critical with bullets heavier than 250 grs, as the noses will stick out the cylinder mouths if seated just a bit long.
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

CALL RUGER

Post by blueroan »

I like the Original Size Vaqueros in 357 or 44...Call Ruger to voice your opinion..I got the feeling that they are getting enough calls to think about it, especially when I mentioned the scalper's market on them. Someone must be collecting data from the forums and internet auctions...Ruger would just as soon get the $500+ that they are bringing in my neck of the woods.

I wouldn't push a New Vaquero very hard...and I'd check my loading books against the latest for data. I'm 59 and some of the books go back to the 1970s! I was really surprised when I saw current information on Unique--about 25% lower recommended loads in a 357! (I hadn't reloaded 357/38 in over 10 years until I bought a set of Vaqueros and Bisley Vaqueros before they completely disappeared/got priced out of reach.) The New Vaquero is great for Cowboy Action Shooters, but I like DRAGOON/HUNTER or BISLEY grip frames on the Original Size guns. The new one feels like a toy in my hands and I just can't warm up to it. AND it doesn't come in any 44 calibers.